DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2021 Discussion of Wrestling

30 minutes ago, NintendoLogic said:

This match is a prime example of what I'm talking about. When Neidhart is the legal man, he supplies nothing but generic big man offense. And it's not like he does anything special on the apron. In fact, there are a couple of spots that look like clear setups for him to interfere, but he either runs in late or doesn't run it at all because he's asleep at the switch. It forces Bret to practically wrestle for two. This is actually one of my favorite matches of all time, so it being so awesome despite Anvil's contributions (or lack thereof) is a testament to how great Bret was even then. I will grant that Neidhart turns in a much better performance in the Killer Bees match (another one of my all-time favorites).

Again, so much of my point is that we shouldn’t laugh this stuff out the door because it could create interesting discussion and because footage has become more available and certain metrics have shifted over time.

It was more of a hypothetical than an actual thing to engage with in this moment but if people want to do so, go for it.

To me, it’s interesting you point to a Bulldogs match as one pole and a non-Bulldogs match as another pole. I think a lot of people’s rose colored glasses on both tag worker Bret and the Bulldogs in general are of the specific pairing. I wonder if Bret was more suited/familiar with them and Neidhart less suited. 

13 hours ago, Ziggy said:

I know MVP and Mia Yim are hug Wutang marks. The Beat Down Clan was basically Wrestlings Wutang. Also RZA is close with Batista. Most, if not all of the Wutang Clan members are wrestling fans and Redman would throw in wrestling references in is raps on occasion. The business right now is so willing to accept any celebrity thats remotely athletic with a big enough name. Outside of the fact that they're taking another wrestlers potential pay day, I don't have a problem with it. Most the celebrities that get to work actual matches are the ones who are big enough fans that it was something they've always wanted to do. And from a promoters stand point they probably hoped to stumble upon another Tyson/Austin  situation were they turn business around especially since wrestling isn't as socially relevant right now. WWE is trying to bring in Cardi B, I hope she does get involved. Seeing as she's the same age as alot of the women on the roster, I could see her hitting it off with a few of them and maybe leading to more crossover for some of them

MVP is probably going to go down I think is one of the more underrated folks of this era.  He does a lot of things so well- and he had fun matches, especially after the Kane stuff and even more after Benoit beat the wrestling into him.   I was really hoping he'd end up on NJPW Strong and doing something with Ren Narita- even moreso after hearing Shibata's criticism of Narita lacking fire (probably kayfabed but you never know)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

I wonder if Bret Hart actually sucks

Well he's definitely a formula guy. Just look at the complaints winged between him and Flair for doing the exact same shit in every match. 

Re: Neidhart, it feels a bit unfair to complain about the other guy in a tag with Bret, no? But that's criticism for you.

29 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Well he's definitely a formula guy. Just look at the complaints winged between him and Flair for doing the exact same shit in every match. 

Re: Neidhart, it feels a bit unfair to complain about the other guy in a tag with Bret, no? But that's criticism for you.

Bret is more like Christian than Flair, though Christian is the evolution of him in response to more weekly TV.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alstein said:

MVP is probably going to go down I think is one of the more underrated folks of this era.  He does a lot of things so well- and he had fun matches, especially after the Kane stuff and even more after Benoit beat the wrestling into him.   I was really hoping he'd end up on NJPW Strong and doing something with Ren Narita- even moreso after hearing Shibata's criticism of Narita lacking fire (probably kayfabed but you never know)

I love MVP's character but have never really enjoyed his ring work. Like I know he had good matches with Benoît and Matt Hardy, but can't recall them at all.

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I wonder if Bret Hart actually sucks

Heresy, goddamnit.

No, I know that nothing is heresy around here.

The Hart Foundation is one of those teams that my childhood impressions are hard to get around because as a kid, they were Not the Rockers. Kinda like the Demos were Not Really the Road Warriors, and I still sort of have to overcome that when talking about them.

But I do think Anvil played his role well in the HF stuff I've seen, though that match posted above is in fairness not a point in his favor.

Well I slightly had my tongue in cheek it isn't that much of a secret that I think Bobby Eaton was a better wrestler than Bret Hart (or Shawn Michaels while we are at it)

Bret and Shawn are both in the category of "Great" Wrestlers that I never want to see work again (Jerry Lawler would be another one for that list if we go all the way back to the GWE... which seems like another lifetime ago.)

Ironically, Ed and I were talking this week (about the Big 4 due to the Kobashi thread being started) and I realized that when I am not hating wrestling I have another category of "Great Wrestlers That I Am Not Watching A Match Because Of"

Basically - I realized while I like Misawa, I am at the point where I am never watching the match BECAUSE of Misawa. If I watch, it is because of his opponent. Flair and Steamboat are in there now too. I kinda want to flesh that point out more in my mind but I haven't had the chance.

• Like 4

Is it specifically the great formula guys whose formulas you've just had too much of, something like eating too many Twix bars one Halloween and then not being able to eat another one for years even though you admit to still theoretically enjoying them?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Is it specifically the great formula guys whose formulas you've just had too much of, something like eating too many Twix bars one Halloween and then not being able to eat another one for years even though you admit to still theoretically enjoying them?

Yes and No

Some guys I just never really got into but I recognize that they are good

Others are definitely formula ones

There is also that sometimes my preferences lay outside the mainstream

Sometimes it is because a guy sucks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Basically - I realized while I like Misawa, I am at the point where I am never watching the match BECAUSE of Misawa. If I watch, it is because of his opponent. Flair and Steamboat are in there now too. I kinda want to flesh that point out more in my mind but I haven't had the chance.

DING DING DING DING DING DING DING

I feel the exact same way, and could probably slot many other wrestlers in there (Kobashi being one too).

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Well I slightly had my tongue in cheek it isn't that much of a secret that I think Bobby Eaton was a better wrestler than Bret Hart (or Shawn Michaels while we are at it)

Bret and Shawn are both in the category of "Great" Wrestlers that I never want to see work again (Jerry Lawler would be another one for that list if we go all the way back to the GWE... which seems like another lifetime ago.)

I’m in that camp too. Don’t favor one over the other because I really don’t like either of them. 

• Thanks 1