DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2021 Discussion of Wrestling

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

You should def check out his work in mid south and Memphis 

I've seen snippets, but not enough of his work in Memphis. I just need to see more Mid-South in general. I thought Jim Duggan was a total dog before I saw him in Mid-South. He was like a totally different guy. All the Mid-South I've ever seen has been entertaining. 

• Like 1

On 2/20/2021 at 12:03 AM, Casey said:

I imagine the resident FMW expert @BAHU would know. I've tried googling this for like 10 minutes and literally nothing comes up except that tweet.

English commentary over FMW matches is giving me flashbacks to those awesome (yet horrible) Tokyo Pop VHS tapes I used to have back in the 2000s. I think those tapes were my first exposure to deathmatch wrestling AND joshi (Megumi Kudo more specifically, felt like she was all over the match listings for those tapes). I also really liked the Headhunters at the time, but I was also like 11 years old and thought Ministry Undertaker was the edgiest and coolest thing ever.

Sorry! Just got the notification that I was tagged in this. The ECW Hardcore TV show from 12/31/97 opened pretty much to this part of the Onita vs. Kanemura match maybe a couple of seconds prior and then they showed the explosion like Styles was there. Then they showed stuff on the show from 12/22/97 Korakuen Hall like Sabu vs. Sandman as if it was the same tour with the ECW guys as Kawasaki Stadium from September with Joey calling those matches like he was there. They did not show anything else besides that clip of the Kawasaki Stadium show.

Edited by BAHU

I won't call Seltzer a racist like other folks have over the Bad Bunny clip solely, but I find it funny he says he's not loved by everyone in the Latin community. I don't think there's a single person in any community that's beloved by everyone, so that's a meaningless thing to say. But yes, Bad Bunny is a household name in North America, South America and in several countries of Europe (namely Spain and Italy).

Back to Bad Bunny, WWE is smart for bringing him in. He's a massive star and is actually a wrestling fan (as is DJ Luian who used to work with him and who's done appearances on local indy shows in Puerto Rico and was at Ric Flair's wedding, but obviously not as popular as Bad Bunny). Regardless of the show he's on, he's going to bring in a lot of viewers from the Hispanic community which maybe won't be reflected in TV ratings as the younger folks spend more time streaming stuff and on social media as proven by him breaking merch sale numbers and social media interaction. The clip he posted of him slapping the Miz got something like 26 million views or something in 1 minute. Just ridiculous.

The other positive thing is he's clearly being used to elevate Damian Priest's popularity.

Given there's not much touring Bad Bunny can do now due to the pandemic, I can see him sticking around after Mania. As I said, the dude grew up a WWE fan, so he obviously loves what he's doing and is making a ton of money, so he definitely wouldn't mind sticking around.

Edited by Edwin

45 minutes ago, Edwin said:

Now Seltzer saying viewers from India were "worthless" to advertisers last week on his website is something I'd more so call him out for...

To be fair - he was quoting that from, presumably folks like Court Bauer, since he specifically referenced talking to MLW about the Youtube monetization and how MLW (and others) are geoblocking India because advertisers frown upon the hits from India and consider them "worthless'' (apparently, ideally,  advertisers want to see views specific to North America)

Anvil was a great hot tag, had awesome charisma and was a better Jim Duggan post 1987 than Jim Duggan. If the midcard wasn't stacked with former top guys from other territories, they could have easily done more with him post HF split than they did, instead it was easier and safer going with Steamboat, Duggan, Slaughter, etc.

• Like 2

https://www.patreon.com/posts/marty-scurll-at-47957576

So Scurll was backstage at NJPW Strong. That's a big no from me. I don't want to see him anywhere near a ring. I suspect NJPW would take him back though.

Spoiler

https://www.cagesideseats.com/2021/2/24/22300001/marty-scurrl-return-new-japan-speakingout

If true, I hope it blows up in their face. F the boys club mentality.

Edited by Spontaneous
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Spontaneous said:

So Scurll was backstage at NJPW Strong. That's a big no from me. I don't want to see him anywhere near a ring. I suspect NJPW would take him back though.

Wrestling will never get better.

I wish I never took my kid to those Chikara shows.

53 minutes ago, nate said:

Calling it now: "Ron Steiner."

Heck, just go with "Frankie Steiner" and take that unused Unfrozen Nazi Wrestler gimmick and tweak it up properly: Ted Turner found a third  Steiner brother and as part of a master longterm Monday Night War Masterplan, put him in cryogenic suspension. When scouting locations for this WWE Warehouse Props Roadshow (tie-in synergy!), Malcolm Bivens finds Frankie in a warehouse in Atlanta GA. He emerges, and Bivens, to keep FS under thrall, keeps him thinking it's 1989. His singlet has geometric patterns of orange and acid green on it, he wears Roos, all his promos are shouty, and he keeps asking for Sting and Lex Luger and - his brothers. Everything is EXTREME (and rad). he can work all the vets!

start printing my money, Mr. McMahon,

RAF

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

22 hours ago, The Natural said:

@DreamBroken. It was. Legit surprise too.

As much as I don't like that Shane gets to take someone else's spot on a major card that he gets the work. His matches have been very enjoyable. Honestly he's been better than these other Legends. If I had a choice I'd rather have him on a WrestleMania card than HHH or Taker taking up a spot.  I  could do with out any of these guys like Goldberg, HHH, Taker or Shane on these bigger cards but it pretty much a given 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Spontaneous said:

Reveal hidden contents

https://www.cagesideseats.com/2021/2/24/22300001/marty-scurrl-return-new-japan-speakingout

If true, I hope it blows up in their face. F the boys club mentality.

Neither do I. At all. Yuck.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

Heck, just go with "Frankie Steiner" and take that unused Unfrozen Nazi Wrestler gimmick and tweak it up properly: Ted Turner found a third  Steiner brother and as part of a master longterm Monday Night War Masterplan, put him in cryogenic suspension. When scouting locations for this WWE Warehouse Props Roadshow (tie-in synergy!), Malcolm Bivens finds Frankie in a warehouse in Atlanta GA. He emerges, and Bivens, to keep FS under thrall, keeps him thinking it's 1989.

Everything unravels when he sees how Missy Hyatt has aged.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You know as much as I want to see Mox vs Kenta I don't feel bad now cancelling NJPW World for a bit.  I hope they change course but if they bring back Scurll along with Owens being there then I may need to reconsider things.  It also won't look that good for AEW if they're associated with a group that has him there.

• Like 2