DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2021 Discussion of Wrestling

29 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Aside from doing WCW jobs, I think the most time Paul Lee got on any wrestling TV was Smoky Mountain as Nature Boy Paul Lee.

Also there's the time that Paul Lee went to a Trump rally and was confused for Ric Flair by a reporter

To where apparently Conrad Thompson got texts like "your father-in-law is at a Trump rally".

2 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I know many are thinking  "So you're saying there's a chance. Yeah!"  But Aaron seems like a pretty decent guy and I think it stinks that they split.  Hopefully they both find happiness with whomever they end up being with.  I also say that while happily married and realizing I would have had no chance anyway. 

FYI, liking this for wishing both well and don't put yourself down bud.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shartnado said:

Man, Ring Warriors was really dope back in 94-96 on Eurosport! I saw matches as recent as '96 and probably as old (if not older than '90) during the run! So much awesome stuff, especially the junior heavyweight division with Japanese, North American and Latin American talent I had (basically) never seen before in my life! Solie and Oliver Humperdink were the commentators and Graig DeGeorge before solie and the name change to Ring Warriors (was it World Superstars of Wrestling before that, or something?)

My main memory of that show (besides the aforementioned Otto Wanz commentary on the German version) is me thinking that Jushin Liger was the Japanese Hulk Hogan because seemingly all episodes I watched ended with a Liger win.

Edited by Robert s

4 hours ago, Robert s said:

My main memory of that show (besides the aforementioned Otto Wanz commentary on the German version) is me thinking that Jushin Liger was the Japanese Hulk Hogan because seemingly all episodes I watched ended with a Liger win.

Liger did win a lot, that's for sure. I had only seen him being squashed by Sting & Dr Death at Starrcade'92 prior to this. Also, I used to hate Norio Honaga, because he beat absolutely everyone (including Liger, I think twice, even) while being a rather non-excitng heel in the junior division. I think it was Koji Kanemoto who beat him for the title and that was a good moment! Oddly enough, Honaga also dropped a fall to Great Kabuki's powerbomb in an 8-man tag match that seemed to be heel vs heel.

I remember they used different names for the American/Western wrestlers on World Superstars of Wrestling. Bam Bam Bigelow was "Scott Vigelow". Owen Hart was "Jim Owen". Dave Finlay was "Dave Fendy"  Humperdink used to forget sometimes though and just use their proper names. 

• Haha 1

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta
1 hour ago, Happ Hazzard said:

I remember they used different names for the American/Western wrestlers on World Superstars of Wrestling. Bam Bam Bigelow was "Scott Vigelow". Owen Hart was "Jim Owen". Dave Finlay was "Dave Fendy"  Humperdink used to forget sometimes though and just use their proper names. 

I just laughed worryingly hard imagining Dave Fat Fendy v Lord Stubby Ragoo. Covid cabin fever has taken my mind to strange places.

Lance Storm made a comment on Bryan's show about how he really like Young Rock and apparently Dave hated it and he wondered "since I have always had no desire to watch BTE because of how Dave described it, maybe I would actually like it if I watched it"  

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I think that's a comics shop I would no longer frequent. 

I think that's at the Wrestling Universe in Queens, but to be fair, he could have done more of these maskless signings at other places too so who knows. But the one I mentioned was on Sunday, so. Wrestling Universe has been in a few Major Wrestling Figure vlogs before. Which is weird, since when Matt & Brian did their signings in the vlogs (and toy hunts), everyone is always masked up, including them. So I guess the owners just don't give a fuck either way.

• Like 1

I mean is business so tough that first of all you need Austin Aries for a signing and second of all you basically have to coddle his gimmick by having to do the signings without masks in order for him to do it.  I mean if it was someone in AEW or WWE maybe you get desperate but seriously Aries hasn't been relevant about a year and a half.   I mean he is so toxic that no even IMPACT and MLW wants to touch him anymore

Also given that he believes that COVID is a hoax or extremely overblown, does this mean that he believes AIDS is/was as well with this bullshit gimmick name

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 2

Along similar lines, Gary Michael Cappetta was promoting a Thunder Championship Wrestling show he went to in Florida over the weekend (Tokyo Monster Kahagas was the only name I recognized). I looked at the photos- jam packed crowd, no social distancing and no masks, outdoors on a cold and rainy night. So of course he got salty when people called him out on the giant warning signals, bitching about how COVID rates per capita are higher elsewhere and judge not lest ye be judged, blah blah blah yackety schmackety.

I hate Jim Cornette's slavish fanboy base with a fiery passion, but I think this group has fully earned the "outlaw mud show" designation if this is how they're gonna run their ship during a pandemic. Hard, hard pass.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Why has Bad Bunny been such a difficult thing for people to understand? His merch is selling, clearly people like him. He appears to enjoy this time there and for once there is a plan, to use him to get Priest over. Nothing WWE or any other wrestling company hasn't done before. I hadn't heard of him before the rumble but it is easy to get.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, hammerva said:

Lance Storm made a comment on Bryan's show about how he really like Young Rock and apparently Dave hated it and he wondered "since I have always had no desire to watch BTE because of how Dave described it, maybe I would actually like it if I watched it"  

Dave's recaps and descriptions of BTE are just awful. I don't even know why he covers it like it's more than just friends fucking around and doing skits. He takes them all so seriously, except for the comedy bits, but even then he over-analyzes those.

I really like BTE, but if I had never watched it and only had Dave's descriptions to go off of, I would imagine that it sucks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Natural said:

Good seeing you, @Yo-Yo's Roomie. Hope you're well, matey.

Thanks, my friend. I'm doing okay. Hope you are too.

I really wish Sasha had left WWE during that time. I'm pretty much at the point where I selfishly want all my favourites to leave that company, because I just can't watch them anymore. What really annoyed me is that me quitting WWE seemed to coincide pretty perfectly with Sasha becoming one of the most heavily-featured wrestlers in the company. So, you know, that's about how my luck goes.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Yo-Yo's Roomie said:

Thanks, my friend. I'm doing okay. Hope you are too.

I really wish Sasha had left WWE during that time. I'm pretty much at the point where I selfishly want all my favourites to leave that company, because I just can't watch them anymore. What really annoyed me is that me quitting WWE seemed to coincide pretty perfectly with Sasha becoming one of the most heavily-featured wrestlers in the company. So, you know, that's about how my luck goes.

Glad you're okay, my friend. I'm ok ta. Stay safe.

Yeah, I thought Sasha Banks was going to walk for good when she took her four month hiatus from WrestleMania XXXV to the post SummerSlam 2019 RAW. WWE is frustrating seeing your favourites mishandled and having to battle against bad booking. The way the company is run as well.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2