DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2021 Discussion of Wrestling

To briefly recap the Bo Dallas thing

During the COVID purge last year - one of those fake Twitter accounts said he was fired so people got swept up and thought he was even though it was proven this was incorrect

Somehow it come up last week that people realized he was still on the roster (Meltzer mentioned it last week but I dont know if he was the origin in the renewed interest)

The WON comes out and Dave has this blurb

Regarding Bo Dallas (Taylor Rotunda), who is under contract but never used, he is not even brought to TV to sit in catering. He’s still getting paid and has a farm living with Liv Morgan and they’ve started a family real estate business and studying that to prepare for life after wrestling

As Mark noted - you can see which part people latched onto.

I don't want to see a dude spike himself in his own stomach or anything, but the idea behind it - heels bring in a monster to do their bidding, but the monster turns on them and one face gets over by stepping up and ending the destruction - is pretty great. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

I don't want to see a dude spike himself in his own stomach or anything, but the idea behind it - heels bring in a monster to do their bidding, but the monster turns on them and one face gets over by stepping up and ending the destruction - is pretty great. 

It was part of my introducing to puro. I think I saw the links on here and watched Noah talent in ROH. Everyone looks cool in this feud. Nothing is match of the year quality but it's fun. Ivpvideos had a compilation. 

I imagine the resident FMW expert @BAHU would know. I've tried googling this for like 10 minutes and literally nothing comes up except that tweet.

English commentary over FMW matches is giving me flashbacks to those awesome (yet horrible) Tokyo Pop VHS tapes I used to have back in the 2000s. I think those tapes were my first exposure to deathmatch wrestling AND joshi (Megumi Kudo more specifically, felt like she was all over the match listings for those tapes). I also really liked the Headhunters at the time, but I was also like 11 years old and thought Ministry Undertaker was the edgiest and coolest thing ever.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, PetrolCB said:
Was this aired on Hardcore TV? Is there a full version of this with Styles on commentary?

From Fall Spectacular '97. Same show with Shamrock/Vader, and a weird FMW appearance by Kobashi.

Cursory search on the network: It's the January 3, 1998 edition of Hardcore TV (23:17 is where that tweet is from exactly). Interestingly enough, Fumi Saito opens up the episode.

The episode is basically clips/matches from ECW's trip to Korakuen Hall as well as Joey calling bits and pieces of FMW matches to introduce folks to FMW talent (including Masato Tanaka/W*NG in an exploding rope barbed wire match, Gladiator/Masato Tanaka, the aforementioned match above, etc.). Kinda neat. AEW should rip this off if they get rights to air New Japan content.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Casey said:

Yes, let me have Tony Schiavone doing color commentary on a Minoru Suzuki match please.

I feel like What Happened When peaked with Tony being introduced to New Jack along with the Halloween Havoc '95 episode, the Black Bart "I'm gon git 60 dollars for a blade job from now on" promo, the Alabama Doink match, and the WCW SN episode with the good-but-way too long Austin vs. Windham 2 out of 3 falls match. I feel like Minoru Suzuki will help Schiavone reach his full crazy potential.

13 minutes ago, LP Steve said:

Am I going completely senile, or was there once a VHS compilation of NJPW matches with dubbed over commentary by Gordon Solie?

There were at least two volumes I know of...

Image result for world pro wrestling from japan vhs

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

IIRC Lanny's money came from whatever Macho was making essentially per Bischoff. The other people in WCW who were sitting at home didn't have that same deal. They had absolutely no plans to ever use him. It was less bad WCW money management and more Randy making sure his brother was alright financially.

And it led to Lanny being able to afford his sweet ceiling tv. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, StevieNippz said:

I thought Brock's undefeated streak when he debuted in 2002 was wrapped up pretty well. He looked so awesome tossing Big Show around at Survivor Series that the title loss and screwy finish didn't seem to matter. They also didn't constantly bring up his win/loss record so it didn't become part of his identity like others mentioned

Also, Brock took a loss shortly after his debut on the UK PPV when Stasiak tagged himself in and lost to the Hardys.