DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2021 Discussion of Wrestling

Re; winning streaks - not sure if it counts but I think you can add Aries ending Joe's big ROH title run and being elevated as a top level guy as a good end result. And they played up the story of the cumulative damage and wear and tear Joe had taken over the course of his reign, which is a story someone should really run again in 2021

To add to the barbwire matches, I really liked the Onita vs Funk one for the spectacle of it. Necro vs Whitmer barbwire ring match from the ROH vs CZW fued was pretty great, as was the Homicide vs Corino one. David Starr and Janela had a shockingly good one a couple years ago on one of the Beyond Wrestlemania weekend shows. Wasn't one of the big Lawler vs Mantell matches a barbwire ring match? Maybe the first one ever?

• Like 3

I don't really include title reigns in streaks. I was thinking more in how undefeated streaks just always seem to founder at the point where it ends. I hate dirty finishes and I think that often happens to protect guys. If you did it right, then why does the guy who just tore through the roster need to be protected?

Streaks also need to end up like King of the Ring, a gimmick to nowhere. It tends to be a defining trait when it should be a stat. If your character is "I'm undefeated" then at some point you have nothing. 

The best win streak I can really think of is Matsunaga in I think it was Zero 1? He ran through the roster only to be stopped by an up and coming Yoshihito Sasaki. That also was a barbed wire no ropes match and I remember it being fairly brutal. 

Edited by Spontaneous
  • Like 2

Megumi Kudo had a great Barbed Wire match with Shinobu Kandori that not many people have seen. It's in the Secret Santo 2 thread somewhere.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AxB said:

Megumi Kudo had a great Barbed Wire match with Shinobu Kandori that not many people have seen. It's in the Secret Santo 2 thread somewhere.

Speaking of Megumi, I find it hilarious but also super fitting AEW made the Revolution main event just some weeks after Megumi Kudo made her return after nearly two and half decades away from the ring to have a "match"* with Shark Tsuchiya. 

* I put quotations around match because I believe Shark is working on a prosthetic leg and it's not like Shark was exactly a super worker in her heyday. They probably tried their best and used it to rekindle their old feud with the help of Miwa Sato. Apparently, Megumi also used this as an excuse to get a new haircut.

135257681_407697253834111_53140312293194

• Like 1

It was a "performance" and never promoted as a match since they were not actually going to be doing any moves. The ZERO1 sponsor for the Sumo Hall show that got postponed is a big 90's wrestling fan and wanted to bring in a bunch of retired/semi-retired stars for the show and do a simulation match where they're getting paid and not breaking a retirement vow since it's a performance and not a match. The Kudo performance was an example of how it would look with Kudo already being contracted with ZERO1 so she was not really in the position to say no and there was no doubt if Shark could physically do it, she would.

12 minutes ago, BAHU said:

It was a "performance" and never promoted as a match since they were not actually going to be doing any moves.

Based on how Shark was getting around from the video I saw, that was probably for the best.

On 2/16/2021 at 1:18 PM, RIPPA said:

I am old enough to remember Dream Team members covering the Reebok logos on their Olympic gear with American Flags so to not piss off Nike

And I am old enough to assume you meant Valentine and Beefcake until eventually figuring out you were talking about a basketball team.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Spontaneous said:

I don't really include title reigns in streaks. I was thinking more in how undefeated streaks just always seem to founder at the point where it ends. I hate dirty finishes and I think that often happens to protect guys. If you did it right, then why does the guy who just tore through the roster need to be protected?

Streaks also need to end up like King of the Ring, a gimmick to nowhere. It tends to be a defining trait when it should be a stat. If your character is "I'm undefeated" then at some point you have nothing. 

The best win streak I can really think of is Matsunaga in I think it was Zero 1? He ran through the roster only to be stopped by an up and coming Yoshihito Sasaki. That also was a barbed wire no ropes match and I remember it being fairly brutal. 

Seamlessly weaving the simultaneous unbeaten streak and barbed wire match discussions together. Nicely done - championship caliber posting right here.

And Stop The Matsunaga was sooooo good. Always love the angle where the heel gets desperate and brings out the maniacal cleaner against the baby faces, but then can’t put the genie back in the bottle. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, kafkonia said:

It's so weird how goofy Orton is entertaining and yet the rest of the time I don't want to see him at all.

I find that time has been kind to Orton in that while I don't excuse his past transgressions he seems like he's been a fairly decent guy.  I guess maturity can do that to somebody.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

And Stop The Matsunaga was sooooo good. Always love the angle where the heel gets desperate and brings out the maniacal cleaner against the baby faces, but then can’t put the genie back in the bottle. 

I really want someone to use this story again already.

• Like 2