DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2021 Discussion of Wrestling

1 hour ago, El Gran Gordi said:

In the green room at the Vancouver All Star tapings in the mid-80s, Mauro used to entertain us all backstage by (you guessed it) doing a cheesy AM DJ voice.

Wait...were you part of All Star Wrestling? We used to get it randomly on Saturday afternoons in Toronto back in the day! 

15 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Wait...were you part of All Star Wrestling? We used to get it randomly on Saturday afternoons in Toronto back in the day! 

I was indeed on that show, when it was still a couple of swirls from going down the toilet completely. Incredibly good times. in addition to working with Mauro Ranallo (and Canadian indie mainstays like Buddy Wayne, Verne Seibert and Diamond Timothy Flowers) I was heavily involved with the story when John Tenta first came in, and I was there when Raven came through briefly (As Scotty the Body). My character, which I would be astonished if anyone remembers him, was called "Thumper." I mostly worked as a heel manager and heel commentator on TV. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, El Gran Gordi said:

I was indeed on that show, when it was still a couple of swirls from going down the toilet completely. Incredibly good times. in addition to working with Mauro Ranallo (and Canadian indie mainstays like Buddy Wayne, Verne Seibert and Diamond Timothy Flowers) I was heavily involved with the story when John Tenta first came in, and I was there when Raven came through briefly (As Scotty the Body). My character, which I would be astonished if anyone remembers him, was called "Thumper." I mostly worked as a heel manager and heel commentator on TV. 

You worked with Ed Karl? That's awesome. All Star was my introduction to TV studio wrestling...it really helped shape my pro wrestling palate along with the the traditional "big 3" promotions of the 80s.

Lots of great memories of the All Star crew...The Frog, Buddy Wayne, Ole Olson, Diamond Timothy Flowers, etc etc. Goodtimes.

• Thanks 1

so i'm almost finished with my complete ECW watch/rewatch (currently in April 2000).  been a fun trip so far. 

my question is, for the guys who don't end up in WWF, are there any feuds that carry over to other feds? i know XPW and CZW popped up around this time, but never watched any of either one. Anything essential featuring ECW talent?

i guess my REAL question is, what do i watch next?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Infinit said:

You worked with Ed Karl? That's awesome. All Star was my introduction to TV studio wrestling...it really helped shape my pro wrestling palate along with the the traditional "big 3" promotions of the 80s.

Lots of great memories of the All Star crew...The Frog, Buddy Wayne, Ole Olson, Diamond Timothy Flowers, etc etc. Goodtimes.

Yes, Ed Karl and my father were good friends.  That was my "in" (along with being a writer for the glossy Wrestling's Main Event magazine). All of those names bring back good memories for me, too. It's really nice that someone remembers our show!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AxB said:

So if Miro does a big power move on Dynamite, and Lana tweets "My husband is very strong", that would be a violation?

I assume that's what "person" means. Someone on Reddit told the story about Jay Lethal and Colt Cabana doing a Twitch stream together, and Lethal was hanging out with Sonjay Dutt. If I'm remembering it right, without going back to look it up, Colt said to tell Sonjay hi or something, and Lethal said Sonjay would come onto the stream himself to say something but "he can't".

Found it:

Colt Cabana and Jay Lethal were playing a game together on Twitch not too long ago.

While talking to one another, Lethal made Cabana aware that Sonjay Dutt was over at his house. Cabana wanted to say, ‘hi’ but he was met with Lethal expressing that there was general concern from Dutt for not only speaking to an AEW wrestler, but doing so on Twitch.

Edited by Casey

Imagine trying to pull that shit in any other industry:

"Attention WalMart staff, you are hereby informed that any revenue generated from your extra curricular activities will be garnished by WalMart Inc.

You are also henceforth banned from appearing or speaking on the Twitch streams of any and all Costco staff and their affiliates."

Fuck outta here with that shit.

Edited by L_W_P
  • Like 7

Mark Andrews has had Impact and AEW Wrestlers on his YouTube channel, where they watch people's first matches. But he's also had lots of people under WWE contract (or who were when they filmed, like Chris Hero was on there).

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Call me old fashioned, but i agree with people not appearing on the streams of folks working for the competition. 

Unless the streams themselves are directly related to content for the opposition (eg Being the Elite) then it should make no difference what an independent contractor does outside of their appearances for WWE. If Miroslav is playing Rocket League there's no logical reason that CJ can't also be on the stream interacting with the chat. It's not Miro and Lana, it's Miroslav and CJ. They are actors.

This would be like Marvel telling RDJ he can't go on Gal Gadot's Twitch stream because she works for DC. It's an insane level of control over someone's personal life.

It's even worse that WWE are doing this at a time when their biggest "rivals" are all teaming up for huge cross promotional shows and matches, giving us some of the most exciting and entertaining wrestling TV we've seen in the last 20 years.

• Like 8

Well in an ideal situation, theyd be actual employees, but you know...

i would prefer the analogy was more like “should guys on the Yankees and Red Six be hanging out on each others twitch streams?” But that fraternization ship for athletes has also sailed. 

39 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

I was listening to a Podcast covering the first Nitro Episode and they said it was planned for Meng to face Vader If he hadn't been fired over the Orndorff incident . That would have been dope as he'll. 

If they replaced it with a Pillman v Liger, that’s a tough choice.

2 minutes ago, Infinit said:

I wonder what Vince thought about losing another pushed talent due to pregnancy for at least a couple years?

He’ll start thinking (again?) about putting pregnancy clauses in his independent contractors contracts. 

• Haha 1

Depends on how much Meng would've sold for Vader. It might've been a mismatch. 

Everyone acts like Meng/Haku/Tonga is the man now after hearing all the stories but when I was a kid I hated it when he got in the ring, because he was a big stiff dude that just did a nerve hold and wouldn't sell. That opinion hasn't changed. 

EDIT: Stiff as in movement, not as in hard-hitting

Edited by Curt McGirt

8 minutes ago, The Natural said:
Greatness knows Greatness, @Niners Fan in CT. Big fan of the Legit Boss and TAFKA The Revival, now #FTR.

Agreed but i will say this...     i want Sasha to face Bianca one on one and i would like to see them put Bianca over.  Sasha is a megastar anyway you cut it.  Bianca can gain so much by winning that match on that stage.  

Edited by Niners Fan in CT
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Agreed but i will say this...     i want Sasha to face Bianca one on one and i would like to see them out Bianca over.  Sasha is a megastar anyway you cut it.  Bianca can gain so much by winning that match on that stage.  

I'm looking forward to that match hoping it remains one on one even though my preferred option was Banks vs. Bayley headlining WrestleMania this year. Hope Bayley gets something for the 2020 she put in. Banks has to win at WrestleMania at some point, she's 0-5 which is BS.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1