DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2021 Discussion of Wrestling

John Cena said in an interview with Sports Illustrated that there is "no logistical way" he can be at Mania

This is due to Peacemaker filming in Canada until July (and the fact that if he left, it would shut down production for at least 3 weeks)

I’m upset Cena did the Mania announcement video. That Firefly funhouse match was such a perfect send off that why ever come back. I also want Cena to have a New Japan run and be the face of NJ of America so that could be a major factor in my dislike for Cena returning. 

36 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

John Cena said in an interview with Sports Illustrated that there is "no logistical way" he can be at Mania

This is due to Peacemaker filming in Canada until July (and the fact that if he left, it would shut down production for at least 3 weeks)

Which basically means we should expect him to be there.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

I’m upset Cena did the Mania announcement video. That Firefly funhouse match was such a perfect send off that why ever come back. I also want Cena to have a New Japan run and be the face of NJ of America so that could be a major factor in my dislike for Cena returning. 

Those are some incredibly unrealistic wants. He will probably never work for another promotion unless its connected to/working with WWE.

Edited by Eivion

Just now, Lawful Metal said:

when does Becky come back? 

Completely up to her

We she announced she was pregnant - the announcement was pretty much if she comes back not when

Now if I was to guess (since I think she will be back) - Rumble next year

2 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Completely up to her

We she announced she was pregnant - the announcement was pretty much if she comes back not when

Now if I was to guess (since I think she will be back) - Rumble next year

She can send Seth home to be with the baby and she can come back to work.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

We live in a COVID/Zoom world. He can just appear on the Tron to distract someone and set up a match for next year. The fans actually there will still pop big for it and no one at home will care.

What's funny is Becky tweeted a picture of one of the backstage curtains.  So I immediately thought she'd be a surprise entrant.  It is good she wasn't as it helped ensure that the correct winner won.  But I really do miss Becky so I guess it was wishful thinking on my part.

But honestly I think she's set for life.  She mentioned on Austin's podcast that her goal was to have a kid and open a coffee shop.  So with one goal done I can't imagine the other one's far behind.

EDIT:  Darnit, Dolfan I'm sure glad I work from home.  Because if I saw your spoiler box my co-workers would give me a side-eye due to me laughing from that.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

What's funny is Becky tweeted a picture of one of the backstage curtains.  So I immediately thought she'd be a surprise entrant.  It is good she wasn't as it helped ensure that the correct winner won.  But I really do miss Becky so I guess it was wishful thinking on my part.

But honestly I think she's set for life.  She mentioned on Austin's podcast that her goal was to have a kid and open a coffee shop.  So with one goal done I can't imagine the other one's far behind.

Her and Seth have a coffee shop.

EDIT: Well, to be fair, Seth opened the coffee shop. I'd imagine that Becky has a role in it as well.

Edited by Craig H
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Edge is going to headline WrestleMania.  Until Randy Orton costs him the shot later this month.  

I'm so tired. 

Wrestlemania season is old timer season. Can't wait for 2035 when this current crop can actually main event a Wrestlemania.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Edge is going to headline WrestleMania.  Until Randy Orton costs him the shot later this month.  

I woulld have hated this feud in 2009. 

I thought Edge barely had a neck. This dude's singles work (sans-garbagefests) sucked when he was in shape. I can only imagine having to watch this dude in 2021 in the main event.

Dude should be the hot tag for a legends tag team that only works special attraction midcard matches, not, uh, the winner of the 2021 Royal Rumble, as I have seen online. 

I thought Big E was finally getting a push, what the fuck is up with that? I won't see it, but I don't care. He should have been pushed to the moon about five years ago.

Edited by Smelly McUgly
  • Like 2

Christian might have more matches in him or so, PWI reported he is on a part time deal.

And Vince wasn't at the Royal Rumble ppv reportably.. but Triple H was in control mostly. Other sites reportably said Triple H, Dunn and Pritchard were in charge of last night’s Royal Rumble pay-per-view.

Kane donated his Royal Rumble paycheck.

I'm pretty sure Christian said years ago that he can work it's just that WWE didn't want to use him in that capacity. Maybe they were fearful of an injury or maybe they didn't think he would be that valuable to use? The only thing he's done in the ring has been based around Edge so him being used in the Rumble makes sense I guess.

30 minutes ago, Ramo2653 said:

I'm pretty sure Christian said years ago that he can work it's just that WWE didn't want to use him in that capacity. Maybe they were fearful of an injury or maybe they didn't think he would be that valuable to use? The only thing he's done in the ring has been based around Edge so him being used in the Rumble makes sense I guess.

For Christian - it was "just" multiple concussions. Like with Bryan and Edge, they had surgeries that "healed" them. There isn't really a "you had surgery, you are healed" cure for concussions.

And because of the increased attention being paid to concussions - the WWE was very concerned about having him wrestle

You would like to believe that for a variety of reasons (better testing, better understanding of concussions, etc...) that the WWE doctor felt okay enough to clear him and not the cynical reason of "he was gonna sign with AEW" 

5 hours ago, Eivion said:

Those are some incredibly unrealistic wants. He will probably never work for another promotion unless its connected to/working with WWE.

I don't think it's likely but if Cena put me in charge of his post WWE trajectory i'd tell him New Japan. There's dream matches for sure. Cena vs Tanahashi, Cena vs Suzuki, Cena vs Naito, Cena vs Okada shit Cena vs Kenta for the US Belt ion US Soil would draw a gate once live gates come back. Will any of this happen? No but the wrestling fan in me can dream. 

• Like 2