DVDVR Message Board

FEBRUARY 2021 WRESTLING IMAGERY

Back to playing catch up. Drapp/Vignal vs Lasartesse/Duranton: Lasartesse and Duranton were both playing snobbish characters and had a male valet out there. He got massive heat with the crowd trying to kill him:

E8JEnl.gif

Beautiful character stuff by Duranton. Faces control the ring on the tag. He slips through the legs, makes the tag, lets out a massive "HA!" and then struts off while someone pelts him with trash from the crowd:

ANBz0j.gif

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Love the Japanese stuff lads . 

Has anybody got any examples of any visually great Japanese wrestling magazine covers from over the years ?

There are some great magazine scans on this site by the way .

https://wcwworldwide.com

WCW centric mostly but some good Japanese stuff on there also. 

Edited by cav
  • Like 2

More Drapp/Vignal vs Lasartesse/Duranton:

Duranton goes out of his way to distract the ref and draw heat while Lasartesse is choking.

OMWnjL.gif

This is cool in general, but one huge difference between 1961 wrestling and 2021 wrestling is that if they did this today, there's no chance Duranton would hit that elbow at the end. It would be about doing the signature spot and framing it for the camera and then moving on to the next thing. The fact that Duranton tosses in another whack for good measure makes everything feel more real and immersed even if it somehow makes the spot less "clean.":

2xjmPN.gif

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Matt D said:

Last Vignal/Drapp vs Duranton/Lasartesse:

This feels like the 1961 version of the Powerplex. Just brutal:

zv1JJY.gif

I'd imagine the "Bombs Away" knee drop was the hot move of its day thanks to Ray Stevens. Like the Stunner/Backstabber finisher of the early 60s.

12 minutes ago, Pete said:

I'd imagine the "Bombs Away" knee drop was the hot move of its day thanks to Ray Stevens. Like the Stunner/Backstabber finisher of the early 60s.

I tend to be a Stevens skeptic in general, but I think in this case there could be something to that. Both Lasartesse and especially Duranton have taken a page out of Gorgeous George's book and a super young Stevens feuded with him in CA a few years before this so I could see there being exposure for that.

Lasartesse was built up in his first few appearances as having spent time recently in the US (including buying his own cowboy costume) and he did in fact work for Capitol in 58, so yeah, I think it's wholly possible.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2021 at 3:18 PM, NikoBaltimore said:

That reminds me but have you caught the recent biography on Andre?  Chapters two and three in particular went deep on the history of French Catch and it was kind of cool to go "Hey, I recognize that name!" for folks like Delaporte.

I did read it pretty early into Lockdown last year and enjoyed it a lot. We're going chronological but had skipped forward to things like Petit Prince matches and Michel Saulnier ones, so to realize that Saulnier was the guy who trained him (Despite being far, far smaller) was pretty interesting. We have more context now, but the book helped to provide a good deal in the earlier part of the project. Afterwards I went on to read the Mad Dog Vachon book which was good too.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Natural said:

@D.Z: Please could you post a picture or two of the Lion Mark Logo with blue? Like to see that. Thanks.

Used to be monochromatic then blue..then became black in the 00's. Multiple variants exist of both the blue and monochromatic over the years and the eyes wouldn't always be consistently colored. Also another metal like logo later on. You can see the 90's version in several Toukon Games.

1984 logo below on Tickets:

i-img1200x900-1600864504cvmzx3541049.jpg

I will show better look at the logos next time

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1