DVDVR Message Board

ROYAL RUMBLE 2021 Post Event Discussion

RIPPA

Just thinking about that Ripley/Belair spot where they said "Let's not do anything crazy, let's just get back in the ring."  Could you do that spot with two male babyfaces?  I think today you probably could, but you couldn't have done it with Hogan/Warrior or even Austin/Rock.

To be clear, I think it was a good moment that made sense.

Also - I think folks get hung up on age more when it is a "legend" as opposed to a regular member of the roster

I mean Nakamura was 37 when he won a couple of years ago and everyone was excited.

If AJ Styles (43), Daniel Bryan (39), Cesaro (40) had won this year, most everyone would have been excited

And a lot of this goes to Tuna's point - it is part of the reason Meltzer has so many weird issues with the HOF. Back when it started, having the eligibility age be 35 made sense because that was what worked. Now due to a whole heap of reasons - 35 is WAY too young.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, S.K.o.S. said:

Just thinking about that Ripley/Belair spot where they said "Let's not do anything crazy, let's just get back in the ring."  Could you do that spot with two male babyfaces?  I think today you probably could, but you couldn't have done it with Hogan/Warrior or even Austin/Rock.

To be clear, I think it was a good moment that made sense.

You could definitely do it with tag team partners or a babyface like Ricky Steamboat but definitely not the examples you cited.

• Like 1

I just want to point out on the age discussion how far we've come medically in the last ten years. We can literally de-age brains with oxygen/hyperbaric therapy. We also have way more knowledge about the benefits of stem cell treatments, not to mention stretching and sports chiropractors.

Also, if you want some good knews, check out all the advances we're making with cancer treatments. Especially all the recent news out of Korea!

• Like 2

Just to clarify, I'm not knocking Goldberg. I couldn't lift McIntrye an inch off the ground, let alone over my head. I think that needs to be the last one he does unless it is someone like Dolph whom he can get up easily. 

I thought Ripley and Bianca's spot worked because of who did it. I wouldn't expect it from even a chickenshit heel. I thought it worked. 

3 minutes ago, Six String Orchestra said:

I thought Ripley and Bianca's spot worked because of who did it. I wouldn't expect it from even a chickenshit heel. I thought it worked. 

Bianca and Naomi also had the spot where they helped each other get back in the ring that I thought worked too even though they spent a good portion of the match working each over too.

• Like 2

I can't remember if this was mentioned but there was a small little thing when Bianca eliminated Bayley where they were both still yelling at each other "Why won't you leave me alone?" (which of course was basically missed due to missing Bayley's elimination in the first place)

So to go off of @Casey point about how we still have two more PPVs to go before Mania - it does seem like there is still at least one more Bayley/Bianca match left to go

I think this was the first WWE show I've watched in full since... Money in the Bank, maybe?

Both the women's Rumble and the Banks/Carmella matches were excellent. The women run this shit.

Drew/Goldberg was like the awesome Goldberg/Lesnar match except Goldberg has lost all explosiveness so it sucks.

LMS was good.

Mens Rumble was a mixed bag but...

• Like 2

How do you guys feel about Shotzi Blackheart?

I've seen her maybe a handful of times and she effortlessly inspires go away heat with me. Just something completely inauthentic about her character, and how that translates to what she does in ring (mostly just not buying her going 50/50 with more established acts). 

Also, Santana Garrett's facial reactions during the match? Is that a gimmick thing, or would they have been pissed at her marking out for being there?

I don't think it's the age so much as the length of time these guys are hanging on for.

Goldbergs streak was in 97-98. That's 23 years ago! Edge debuted at that time.
Orton's been around for almost two decades.

Rock was in and out of WWE in under 8 years, save for a couple of spots at Mania.
Austin the same. How many slight variations of character and presentation did they have?

How long did it take them to switch up Reigns? And he still has the same music! While someone like Ziggler is just eternally spinning the wheels 

No off season & Vince paying silly money to stop people working for AEW/NJPW means that these guys are just always there and always working. Punk was right & he made that call how long ago now? Ironically he would probably make more money & be featured in a higher profile match if he came back as a part time attraction like Edge.

Ultimately the whole roster needs to cycle out for a couple of years here and there to freshen up both the matchups and their own, personal look/gimmick.

Edited by L_W_P
  • Like 1

Haven’t watched the men’s match yet but some initial thoughts, haven’t read the thread yet to avoid spoilers.

This is the 1st WWE show I’ve watched since MITB. Really don’t like the Thunderdome setup, just loud and ugly, and still lacks any real atmosphere. It’s been said a million times but what the fuck is with the camera cuts, was really noticeable at points having not watched in a while. Seriously what is the logic of these moments where there’s 4-5 cuts within a matter of seconds? What effect is it meant to achieve?

Goldberg/Drew was fine but uninteresting. I like when they mix up the main event formula, but as with suplex city Brock it’s been diminishing returns, you really need to tweak the formula to keep it interesting, they didn’t do anything here, it was just my turn, kick out, your turn, kick out, etc. 

Bianca felt like the right choice, I wonder whether never pulling the trigger on her in NXT has helped her long term as they’ve been able to build her a bit slower on the main roster. By contrast, Rhea already seems like she’s lost a lot of momentum and I’m less optimistic of how high she can go than last year. The end sequence was nicely done and really felt it could go either way.

Some nice eliminations dotted throughout, the Bayley powerbomb, Santana, Nikki. The Billie stuff was good.

The Alexa stuff seemed embarrassing but luckily was cut off quickly, is she supposed to be face? And are they trying to get Lana over as a face? Even with the Nia elimination she just looked pathetic and stupid. Nia also looked stupid eliminating her partner with so many still left. 

Weird choice in recapping the women’s tag after the Rumble despite the angle playing into the match. 
The 24/7 stuff is embarrassing and the joke is beyond dead at this point.

Not a big fan of the style but the LMS was quite well done. Thought they maintained a violent feel between the high spots, could have done with blood though. The handcuff spot was a really good ‘near fall’, I actually bought that despite thinking Owens had no chance.

Stuff I hated on this show:

- Goldberg gassing 30 seconds into a 2 minute match

- The awful handcuff finish to the LMS match. Even if they hadn't botched it I think it would have been a really cheap

- Jillian Hall and Alica Fox being dubbed 'legends'

- Naomi can land on her back and not be eliminated because of the 'both feet' rule. So dumb. You know someone thought they were really clever for thinking up that spot too

- All this effort into Charlotte vs Lacey for what will probably be a dreadful Wrestlemania match, and they barely had any contact in the Rumble

- Charlotte laughing off being eliminated, what peak HHH shit that was

- Jerry Lawler literally laughing his ass off at Nikki Cross's return

- The 24/7 title stuff

- Tamina and Nia doing the exact same routine they do every Rumble

- Orton returning at the end was so predictable after the injury angle

- Mustafa Ali and numerous other mid-carders being made to look like geeks 

- All the Omos interference stuff - if there's no rule about people not interfering in the Rumble, then why doesn't everyone have someone doing this? Also, is this guy going to actually wrestle or we just heating up a bodyguard for no pay-off? I think I know the answer

- Otis not even lasting a minute

- Hurricane Helms is now an annual 'surprise' return

Thank you for listening

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Infinit said:

That second ref stopping the count at 6 when he realized Paul couldn't get Roman uncuffed in time was hilarious. Otherwise that match was fantastic. Both guys brought it tonight.

I love me some "and time stood still" fuck-ups. I counted along to at least 15. I guess they should have either done a dry-run or not have trusted Heyman being a handyman.

Corey Graves somehow had the line of the night (which I am sure he worked hard for), saying that Bad Bunny should have turned left at Albuquerque when he went to the top hope.

And somehow in the women's Rumble, of the two spots where someone nearly got injured (Ripley dumping Dakota Kai head first on the ring apron and Ember Moon shoot dropkicking Naomi into the face) neither involved Nia Jax nor Charlotte.

Oh yes, and for the love of whatever is holy to you: please don't ever give Lawler a live mic again for a women's match. This stuff was bad 20 years ago. And it did not age well. At all.

7 hours ago, EVA said:

What stands out to me about that is, historically, I feel like 30-35 were the prime years for wrestlers.  If you were ever going to be on top, you generally made it somewhere in that range, and after that you were on your way down.

You look at the guys in that range last night, and you notice A) there aren’t very many of them, and B) Rollins is the only one who’s actually gotten a run; everybody else is still a “potential” guy waiting on his shot.

I feel like (hope?) at some point WWE is going to have to force a youth movement, and then there is going to be this generation of guys in their early 30’s now who are never going to get a run on top because they have the misfortune of being too young now and will be too old later.

Today even being in your early to mid 40s isn't old in this modern era. The talent is aging much better than the previous eras because the drug/party culture isn't as prevalent today. The Wellness program probably helps too. And now the road schedule isn't going going to be near what it was before the pandemic when the Arenas open back up across the board. Some people are just freaks of nature like RTruth or AJ Styles or Shelton or even Lashley. 

Think about probably 8 years ago,  Big Show and Mark Henry where having some of their best work.

The only negative thing about alot of these older talent isn't even their age, it's how they've been used. If they pushed Cesaro tomorrow, no one here would complain we'd all be here for it. He's not 40 yet but he's been on the main roster long. Fans and wrestlers alike have been vocal about him not getting a chance to be featured in a main event slot. Look a Sheamus,  he hasn't aged much at all either and he's still just as good as ever. I'm not clamoring for him to be in the main event but I really enjoy watching him still. He lays his shut in and works very snug especially when he's in there with guys that don't mind bringing it either.

Edited by Ziggy

Dirtsheetz said The 30-Woman Royal Rumble Match was produced by Tyson Kidd, Adam Pearce, Chris Park and Pat Buck. And the 30-Man Royal Rumble Match was produced by Shane McMahon, Jason Jordan and Jamie Noble.