DVDVR Message Board

ROYAL RUMBLE 2021 Post Event Discussion

RIPPA

I watched this after not watching much WWE since last year's Rumble, and I think "his own personal colossus" is my new favourite over-used WWE phrase. I guess Styles doesn't have to book time with the communal colossus like everyone else?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I think it should be Edge vs. McIntyre.   Roman needs someone else. 

I think it might be Edge vs. Roman Reigns as the WWE Universal Championship is the only championship Edge has never held. I think it should be Roman Reigns vs. Daniel Bryan instead, that's also the only championship Daniel Bryan has never won.

Edited by The Natural

1 minute ago, Matt D said:

I could see a fairly logical Mania that's...

• Drew vs Edge vs Orton
  • Reigns vs Bryan
  • Sasha vs Bianca vs Bayley
  • Asuka vs Alexa
  • Cena vs Goldberg(?)

If Bryan's on his way out you can do Reigns vs Cena and Bryan vs Riddle (or Bryan/Riddle/Rollins)

They absolutely do not need to muddy the waters of Bianca's Rumble win like that. Plus in your hypothetical WM card, both Rumble winners don't get a one-on-one match.

• Like 7

Random things I enjoyed before I pass out

- Christian of course

- Billie Kay is a national treasure. I wish they had done more with her being torn between the IIconics and Riot Squad

- Bobby Lashley and Big E as Big Meaty Men Slapping Meat

- Everyone having to pretend the ref didn't just randomly stopped counting because they couldn't get the handcuffs off of Reigns

- Rhea Ripley saying "Fuck this shit" and immediately tossing Alexa

- My wife's continued hatred of Charlotte Flair, complete with a "Thank God!" after she was eliminated

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

I’m thinking Edge vs Drew is the match too. You can tell a good story with that devoid of whatever fucking science fiction universe Raw lives in now. 

Roman shouldn’t lose at Mania so just feed him whomever. 

Great show. Right people won both Rumbles. I would expect Charlotte to beat Asuka and then do the Ripley rematch.

Bianca vs Sasha could be very special but uh, has Bianca ever had a great singles match? I know she hasn’t had the opportunities and she’s had fine matches and she’s athletic as Hell but this is a huge spot for someone who still is untested.

I don’t really watch WWE anymore. I kinda follow what’s happening by reading results and watching some clips on Reddit, but it’s getting less and less. I didn’t even knew Royal Rumble was on tonight until seeing about it on Reddit a few minutes into the show and figured I could look into it while playing Playstation.

Missed the Women's Tag Team but considering I never enjoyed anything with Nia Jax and don’t care for Charlotte, maybe not my biggest loss. I liked Shayna in NXT though and Asuka is fantastic and one of the few people I sometimes miss watching. Also didn’t really get anything of Sasha and Charlotte because I played Persona 5 while watching and WWE lost that battle for my interest.

I hate the finisher-only match formula WWE started using in the last few years. Watching WWE sporadically at best in the last years, I haven’t even seen that many of these matches and still, ugh, just go away.

Add Sami Zayn to the list of people I miss watching. Awesome of New Day to wear Harper/Brodie-gear. Is Bad Bunny a legit star? I have never heard of him in my life (over here in Germany). And WWE still does great video packages.

Seeing Shotzi Blackheart for the first time, I gotta say I kinda like her and I was bummed she was the first to go. Loved all the shenanigans by Billie Kay and her accent is just the best. Handspring offense can fuck off. Bailey being eliminated offscreen is bad. Loved Rhea just eliminating Alexa instead of standing around stupid. Belair and Ripley as the final two was a good choice. Even though the screens shouted it, this was not awesome but somewhat okay in stretches. Still, nothing I would watch if I wasn’t doing anything else at the same time.

That contract signing sure makes Roman look like a big idiot. Add Kevin Owens to the list of people I miss watching. Someone clearly watched Sammy getting run over in AEW. For a moment I thought that Owens would be clever enough to pin down Reigns with that forklift. Owens rolling of the stage to stand up was nice. Fantastic how the Referee just stopped counting because Heyman couldn’t get the handcuffs open. Come on, man. Just continue counting. Reigns could obviously stand up and did so seconds later. Aside from the botch, still a bad finish. Match dragged on way to long and had way too much downtime. Last Man Standing matches, at least they way WWE books them, just aren’t for me.

Getting thrown out by a New Day reunion is a fine way to go but, man, I wanted to see more of Sami. Add Daniel Bryan to the list of people I miss watching. Corbin eliminating Nakamura was a bummer. Edge, Christian, AJ Styles, Rey Mysterio and Daniel Bryan together in the ring (with Cesaro, add him to the list, missing by a few seconds) is some EWR fantasy booking from many years ago. Stupid Riddle jumping over the top rope. One competitor going away for the whole match and coming back to win it (even if it didn’t pan out here) can fuck off. I really like Edge, but Edge and Orton should not be the final two in the Royal Rumble in 2021.

So long WWE. I will be back for Wrestlemania. Well, not sure. Maybe skipping through, I don’t know. Who really cares anyway, let’s be honest. There’s wrestling I enjoy a lot more, no point in watching more of WWE, even though I really miss seeing some people.

• Like 4

Just now, Casey said:

They absolutely do not need to muddy the waters of Bianca's Rumble win like that. Plus in your hypothetical WM card, both Rumble winners don't get a one-on-one match.

Yep, it's the symmetry of year-long feuds. Bayley's been feuding with Bianca and spent most of the year with a story with Sasha. Orton's been married to Edge and Drew all year. I'm not necessarily saying they SHOULD do it. No one likes triple threats. But I could see them doing it because they have built in year-long narrative threads to pluck at. Stuff that even played into the Rumbles tonight. It just feels logical.

Yep, it's the symmetry of year-long feuds. Bayley's been feuding with Bianca and spent most of the year with a story with Sasha. Orton's been married to Edge and Drew all year. I'm not necessarily saying they SHOULD do it. No one likes triple threats. But I could see them doing it because they have built in year-long narrative threads to pluck at. Stuff that even played into the Rumbles tonight. It just feels logical.

Yeah I get what you're saying, but they still have two more PPVs before WrestleMania to pay off those year long stories.

• Like 1

Missing Bayley's elimination in order to show Torrie Wilson's was inexcusable.

That said, the women's rumble was match of the night. First half was amazing, got bogged down in the second half, but the finishing stretch more than made up for it. Shame about the 24/7 stuff, though I loved seeing Alicia Fox get some focus. Bring her back

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Natural said:

Class act by The New Day wearing tribute gear to the late, great Mr. Brodie Lee.

Big E said on Twitter that they will be auctioning off the gear with all the proceeds going to a Food Bank in Rochester, NY that is/was apparently very close to the Huber family's heart

• Like 8

Also, I really hope they over-inflate Christian's star power and he gets a singles program vs Sami or someone.

Man there’s like a whole rogue’s gallery of dudes he can go have 15 minute Christian TV Matches with and I’m right fucking here for it.

Edge can go his main event thing or whatever. I’m here for Christian/Cesaro in the third quarter hour. 

• Like 6

Okay, one positive thought so I'm not going to bed annoyed. But man was I happy to see Victoria. She was always one my favorites so glad she looked good in there. And for what he was doing if anybody should consider one more run it's Christian. 

• Like 2

Talking about Christian vs Random Dudes

I did like that Daniel Bryan made sure he got to get time in with a whole bunch of dudes he always wanted to work - including the extended sections with Riddle

• Like 1

I was in a chat for another board and was fantasy booking a way to get to an Orton/??? vs Edge & Christian match at WrestleMania, and giving Bryan the win to face Reigns for the title.

Also to whoever asked: Yes, Bad Bunny is massively popular. He had something like 8 billion streams on Spotify last year.

Yeah that final two between Rhea and Bianca was excellent. Maybe one of the best endings ever.  Very glad they got their moments to shine.  

Edge winning... eh.  I mean, it's not Randy.   But it's certainly not Big E.  I just don't know if I'm really down to watch Edge-Drew or Edge-Roman.   I'm guessing some kind of fuckery happens between him and Randy between now and April.   

Oh, and you'd think Paul would know his way around handcuffs.  He employed New Jack for christ's sake. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Okay, one positive thought so I'm not going to bed annoyed. But man was I happy to see Victoria. She was always one my favorites so glad she looked good in there. And for what he was doing if anybody should consider one more run it's Christian. 

EtGlJ8iXUAU6MK6?format=jpg&name=large

Thanks for reminding me about Victoria, loved seeing her back. A favourite of mine as well.

• Like 2