DVDVR Message Board

Wrestling Tropes You Love / Hate

19 minutes ago, Goodear said:

My favorite part of the Tower of Doom is when the guy(s) doing the powerbomb part of the spot act like they were injured in the move which makes no sense whatsoever.

Lat strain man... pullin all that meat is hard on your back!

Another trope that i have a love hate relationship with.... In odd numbered multi person elimination matches when the heels or faces team up to beat on the odd person out... then turn on each other... just beat up the odd person and eliminate them... THENNNNNNNN beat up the leftover guy.

With regards to cage matches/escape the cage rules...

It works at its best if its the Face finally locking the heel away from their shenanigans/manager/cheating ways and the heel tryna escape.  I also really love the cousin of the cage match... where the heel Manager/Valet/Second is locked in the shark cage so they can't help... and then they attempt to interfere anyway from the cage with like a tossed international object and it backfires!

• Like 1

What I both love/hate about wrestling is there is a hierarchy of how much a move hurts that has no relationship with reality. 5-10 unprotected punches to the head are just a transition to the real move which is a safe looking throw.  Or how it must be accepted as a given that a heels foreign object will knock out the face.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, JohnnyJ said:

What I both love/hate about wrestling is there is a hierarchy of how much a move hurts that has no relationship with reality. 5-10 unprotected punches to the head are just a transition to the real move which is a safe looking throw.  Or how it must be accepted as a given that a heels foreign object will knock out the face.

Adding to this, a stiff breeze is enough to incapacitate a referee.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Goodear said:

My favorite part of the Tower of Doom is when the guy(s) doing the powerbomb part of the spot act like they were injured in the move which makes no sense whatsoever.

I thought it was talking about the old NWA/WCW match. . .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Wasn't it in Foley's first book, the story of how a guy got eliminated from a Battle Royal by a fan throwing Popcorn at him?

The Trope I hate is the Babyface chasing the heel manager around the ring. Because how many times in Wrestling history has that ended with the babyface successfully catching the heel manager and neutralising them from interfering again? Roughly never, yeah? The face just runs into an ass kicking every time, like an idiot would.

Edited by AxB

My favorite trope that sadly you never see anymore; the tag team format/style of wrestling being such an indecipherable monolith to singles wrestlers that you could put Ric Flair and another Horseman up against the world tag team champions, and you would have the Midnight Express outclassing Flair in every respect. Flair may be the world champion, the dirtiest player in the game, but you’re in the Midnight Express’ house now, and they’re forcing you to play by THEIR rules and kicking your ass all the while until Flair pulls some trickery out his ass to steal a win.

• Like 6

My number one, all-time, most hated wrestling trope (though you don't see it real often anymore thankfully)

Babyface is outside the ring, heel goes after him. Face does a shoulder to the midsection, doubling the heel over, and does a slingshot sunset flip. The heel fights going over, fights, and manages to grab the top rope. Then the referee kicks the heels hands off the rope and drops down to count the pin attempt. What in the everliving fuck? Why is that the only hold or pin attempt not broken up by grabbing the ropes? Why is the referee helping the babyface?

Edited by Brian Fowler
  • Like 2

On 2/5/2021 at 1:57 AM, HumanChessgame said:

Adding to this, a stiff breeze is enough to incapacitate a referee.

That and severely impared vision must be part of the job requirements when you apply for a referee's license. I don't know what causes that though? Maybe some sort of inner ear thing? I mean plenty of refs seem to be wearing some form of an ear piece. Maybe they all need that just to stand upright for some of the match?

• Haha 3

One more modern “trope” I hate is the creative non eliminations from Royal Rumbles with people doing stuff like walking on the barricade or walking on theirs hands and then jumping back in the ring which is total bullshit.

If your body is meters away from anywhere near the ring how does that not count as being eliminated?

• Like 1

They had to institute the Two Feet rule because Shawn Michaels fucked up his non-elimination and put his one foot down that one time.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, eikerir said:

One more modern “trope” I hate is the creative non eliminations from Royal Rumbles with people doing stuff like walking on the barricade or walking on theirs hands and then jumping back in the ring which is total bullshit.

If your body is meters away from anywhere near the ring how does that not count as being eliminated?

and worse now there's 4 people for whom this is their Royal Rumble Gimmick (Morrison, Kingston, Naomi, Catanzaro); not only are they expected to do it every time they're in, everyone knows that is going to be their moment instead of winning.

at the very least there needs to be more spots where the heel slides out under the bottom rope and finishes the job mid-routine

• Like 5

On 2/3/2021 at 1:12 PM, Zimbra said:

I do like it when the heel on the apron claps loudly to make it sound like they made a tag when the ref's back is turned.

I've been trying to get "Phantom Audio Tag" over on commentary as the official name for this.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Gorman said:

I've been trying to get "Phantom Audio Tag" over on commentary as the official name for this.

I can totally hear Gordon Solie saying that in my head so I think it's a great name.

• Like 1

I don't know quite how to explain this, but I hate this thing I've been seeing recently where multiple wrestlers will all do one wrestler's signature pose at the same time. It's part of a larger trend toward a sensibility in wrestling that I can't quite describe except to call it "cutesy".

For example:

LGAy98.gif

uWBUly.gif

Plus one more recent thing in a similar vein from AEW