DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 1/27/2021

Dolfan in NYC

Is cutting luchasaurus’ horns off gonna be like a hellboy thing? Because I can get with that. 

This Cody shaq jade stuff is by far the worst storyline now. It all started off super contrived and doesn’t feel the slightest bit like there’s any heat or history between anyone, then we’re gonna have a match with shaq who clearly can’t take a bump, and two rookies. I know they want mainstream attention but I think it’s way more likely a clip from the match will make the not top 10 on sportscenter. Red velvet had confidence in her promo, I liked that. But I’m grasping for straws here. 

Everything else is great though and I’m really excited for next week. 

5 hours ago, Custos said:

Cheers @The Natural, ZSJ's smug mug is (among many other things) what's great about wrestling. And we're not too dissimilar when it comes to the politics either (though I hastily add that I won't get into it here!). If the forbidden door did open, I do wonder how he'd fare in a featured position on Dynamite. He does thrive though in the no-holds-barred promo setting of New Japan.

Hello, @Custos. I concur with everything you say. Good to see you, my friend. Best wishes, Paul xxx.

33 minutes ago, Craig H said:

It's the first time I didn't hate Marko Stunt and was happy to see him. If Tony Khan isn't booker of the year for that alone then I don't know what it will take.

Yeah, Marko Stunt gets on my wick as well. I vaguely remember the late, great Mr. Brodie Lee squashing him in AEW. A fan of Jon Huber since I first saw him in WWE as Luke Harper in 2013. Still doesn't seem real. Talking about Luke Harper now means I'm going to watch the Wyatt Family vs. The Shield at Elimination Chamber 2014 again. Harper was the Man of the Match and think of the talent in said match. A ***** masterpiece.

• Like 1

I saw some speculation that the reason they cut Luchasaurus' horns off was that there's a copyright issue with his current Mask, and so they're making a new design in time for the Jurassic Express figures to be designed.

1 hour ago, matt925 said:

This Cody shaq jade stuff is by far the worst storyline now. It all started off super contrived and doesn’t feel the slightest bit like there’s any heat or history between anyone, then we’re gonna have a match with shaq who clearly can’t take a bump, and two rookies. I know they want mainstream attention but I think it’s way more likely a clip from the match will make the not top 10 on sportscenter. Red velvet had confidence in her promo, I liked that. But I’m grasping for straws here. 

Everything else is great though and I’m really excited for next week. 

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Agreed that the Cody/Shaq stuff is not good, but I'm still willing to see where it goes. AEW has a good batting average when it comes to angles so we'll see what happens here.

They're really going to try to turn chicken shit into chicken salad and it'll be a fun test of the booking/creative writing ability of  Khan and Cody.  I mean look how this thing has been booked so far:

• Jade shows up and says Shaq wants Cody.  No history, no backstory, nobody knows who Jade is or why Shaq wants to fight Cody.  Brandi shows up with a code switching promo.
  • Jade jumps Brandi and Red Velvet saves.  This may have happened more than once?
  • Sitdown interview with Brandi and Shaq where Shaq spends more time building Jade vs Brandi and I don't think he mentioned wanting to fight Cody.  Brandi is kind of an asshole to Shaq because Tony didn't give her as much props as Shaq.  She throws a conspicuous water on him and he make a Mr. Ferley face.
  • Brandi is pregnant and now cannot wrestle.
  • Jade goes after Cody in the Waiting Room and demands...something?  An opponent for herself?  An answer to the Shaq challenge that really kinda didn't happen?

No set heel or face.  No stakes.  No clearly defined motivations.  A celebrity participant who, I guess, had limited availability.  One participant who had to drop out.  One participant who is a complete unknown outside of Instagram or /r/sexymusclegirls or something.   Man, this angle has surely been something and I'm really curious to see how they salvage it.  I hope whatever mainstream pub they get is worth it.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

From a business standpoint I get why AEW shoehorns Cody into every possibly celebrity crossover. You wanna expand. You wanna get the mainstream fans who don't know there's wrestling outside of WWE. Cody is your man in the mainstream talent casting show. I get that and in the end I can kinda live with it being subpar to all the rest because, well, money - and it's not overshadowing the rest of the show.

But it's so painfully obvious that business comes before creative in these segment while every other part of Dynamite makes you feel that creative fun is the driving force before all.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, MrKothoga said:

But it's so painfully obvious that business comes before creative in these segment while every other part of Dynamite makes you feel that creative fun is the driving force before all.

Nail on the head here! All the Cody celebrity stuff is so boring to me. Which considering how invested I was in him heading into Jericho/MJF matches is quite the turnaround. 

• Like 4

haven't been able to watch Dynamite for a bit, and if it was covered already, apologies.

Are they still opening Dynamite (and possibly Dark) with "Its Wednesday, and you know what that means.." (or Tuesday in the case of Dark)

Thank you in advance

Edited by Hayabusa
Just to clarify, it was heartwarming that it became the opening line for the week or two I was able to catch Dynamite, just hoping they continued with it
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Hayabusa said:

haven't been able to watch Dynamite for a bit, and if it was covered already, apologies.

Are they still opening Dynamite (and possibly Dark) with "Its Wednesday, and you know what that means.." (or Tuesday in the case of Dark)

Thank you in advance

JR used it last night but I don't recall them using it on Dark.  I think it may have gone a week or two without it unless I wasn't paying attention but it's been mostly there.

• Thanks 1

Fantastic show! Kinda quietly one of their best.

Kingston-Archer was brutal and vicious and every thing it needed to be.  I liked this as much as any Kingston match.  That finish was nicely booked and keeps this thing rolling forward.  The fact that they're getting some mid-card feuds over like this is a great sign the company is rocking on all cylinders.

I liked that Sting and Darby promo. The Team Taz was fine, but can somebody logically explain why Team Taz doesn't wear matching tracksuits.  Kinda infuriates me that they aren't.  Orange and Black and nothing else.  I think this is the most interested I've been about a 'cinematic' match.  Smart way to use an elderly veteran like Sting.  

The Blondes-MJF/Jericho exceeded expectations.  Jericho looked better than he has for weeks.  MJF was doing some nice work, and the greenish Blondes had a nice showing.

I like Page being courted by everybody.  I'll state the obvious: Page is just incredible.  As is Jungle Boy.  And Dax the Axe Harwood.  And Smash Cash Wheeler.  And Tully.  Jungle Boy and Dax were poetry in motion.  That video package really helped this one.  They got a nice formula going with the 'Road Tos'.  I hope they keep this going.  

Britt Baker is just so impressive.  What a turn around.  Shanna looked good here too.  They need to match ladies like Shanna with some talkers.  Deeb too.  

Main was so much fun.  I love all those guys. Silver is this season's Orange Cassidy and he's just killing it.  So to Reynolds - tho more quietly.  And Stu and Uno.  Man, those guys were meant to be babyfaces.  I love what both do in the ring, and I see a stronger run as babies than the prior uneven heel run.  Bucks are on fire right now, and in-ring MVPs over the course of their title run. I know very little of Anderson and Gallows (A few NJPW matches and Impact highlights), but they were fantastic here and in the pre-match promo.  Great pair of assholes.  I kinda wonder if AEW actually signed these guys when they became free agents but had them go to Impact in preparation of this angle?  Whaddaya think?  

So stoked for the Six Man main.  

This Cody-Shaq-Jade-Red Velvet angle is just bizarre.  I don't align myself with the haters on this one.  It's not good, but it's so strange.  For starters why in the hell is Shaq, a celebrity with no in-ring wrestling experience, being saddled with a green rookie performer like Jade?  Has Jade even wrestled on Dark?  And she's gonna be led in the match by Red Velvet also a green rookie?  Cody's been consistently great over this past year, despite what the h8r club members post here, but I don't see him as the 'ring general' that's gonna reel in three rookies to something watchable.  How could this not be a huge disaster?  I'm kinda excited to see what this could possibly amount to.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, AxB said:

I saw some speculation that the reason they cut Luchasaurus' horns off was that there's a copyright issue with his current Mask, and so they're making a new design in time for the Jurassic Express figures to be designed.

The mask-equivalent of 'he's balding so let's do a Hair match and make an angle out of it' ?

Edit on the Mike Bailey shout-out (which I appreciated but forgot to mention above): in fairness to Tony, 'shades of [virtually unknown indy wrestler]' as a throwaway comment on a national show does scream 'i know more about pro-wrestling than anyone else in the room' from Excalibur. It wouldn't be the same if he approached it like he normally does with the Mike Tenay approach of inviting us in to share the learning experience.

Edited by Custos
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Speaking of shade, was it just me or did it seem like Tony/JR were kinda mocking the Speedball Mike Bailey reference? I seem to remember Tony repeating the name with this kind of false wonderment.

I just figured Tony/JR had absolutely no idea who that is and were just making light of a funny-sounding name.

• Like 5

Speedball himself really liked it, FWIW. And considering his fiancée was on commentary for AEW last summer, there's a chance Schiavone might have heard the name before. 

• Like 2