DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 1/27/2021

Dolfan in NYC

4 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I disagree.  If the point is getting Jungle Boy over and get him going in the direction of eventually becoming a hot singles act, a rollup isn't going to do it.  In this era, a rollup just means you're a lower midcard act who got lucky. 

I keep coming back to how wrestling has changed, in part by so many viewers getting smarter and in part to WWE's awful booking choices.  Back in the day, a plucky babyface on the rise winning with a rollup would be a hot angle.  Now everybody knows it's meaningless 50/50 bullshit meant to drag out a program.

To add to that, they were putting over Jungle Boy's new submission finisher on commentary the entire match, so it should have been the finish here. This is the type of simple thing that AEW is really good at, and think this will be a big piece in pushing Jungle Boy further up the card. Also agree that he will likely be AEW's breakout star in 2021, and AEW should keep him and that he'd be foolish to leave (that's the case for most everyone on AEW's roster, but especially someone like Jungle Boy that is super over in his current circumstance and WWE not exactly having a great blueprint on using guys like him).

• Like 1

If Cody was feuding with someone on the roster, the complaints would be about how of course he's going to put himself over/not give enough/whatever.

If someone else on the roster was feuding with Shaq, the complaints would be that they're wasting that talent in a pointless angle with a celebrity.

I don't care for the angle a bit, but let's not act like we wouldn't be complaining about something else if it wasn't going on.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I disagree.  If the point is getting Jungle Boy over and get him going in the direction of eventually becoming a hot singles act, a rollup isn't going to do it.  In this era, a rollup just means you're a lower midcard act who got lucky. 

I keep coming back to how wrestling has changed, in part by so many viewers getting smarter and in part to WWE's awful booking choices.  Back in the day, a plucky babyface on the rise winning with a rollup would be a hot angle.  Now everybody knows it's meaningless 50/50 bullshit meant to drag out a program.

My issue with the submission is that you're setting up for Jurassic Express to come back at FTR to get revenge for the post match stuff but Jungle Boy has already gotten a cathartic release by getting a big tap out. I would have saved that big moment for the PPV match when Jungle Boy gets over on the largest stage possible. I know we've all been conditioned that roll ups (especially the school boy) are the cowards way out of a match but we've got to remember Flair lost the title to pinning combinations all the time and that Bret Hart won as many matches with the sharpshooter that he did with a variety of pinning holds. It's only been cheapened by WWE booking which has cheapened so much in the last 20 years. You're not dragging out the program, you're building to a climax. 

2 hours ago, Big Z said:

Also agree that he will likely be AEW's breakout star in 2021, and AEW should keep him and that he'd be foolish to leave (that's the case for most everyone on AEW's roster, but especially someone like Jungle Boy that is super over in his current circumstance and WWE not exactly having a great blueprint on using guys like him).

Agree that Jungle Boy + a lot of AEW's best main event prospects are the type that WWE would absolutely drop the ball on.

If I were looking for a 2021 breakout star, I would play it the opposite way and get what I can out of MJF now.  It's imperative to WWE that they pick up multiple AEW guys when that 5-year contract cycle ends. It's brutal but aggressively targeting certain talents and overspending would be worth it to drop the morale of the AEW locker room + fans. WWE is absolutely going to drown someone in dollars, and who the hell else would they pick before Max? Give him a short reign soonish, make him love you. If it looks like he's going to jump use him to elevate Sammy or some of his New York indie friends. This is what the kids might call a Doomer mentality but every time I think about those contracts, that's the scenario that plays out in my head.

Edited by John E. Dynamite