DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 1/27/2021

Dolfan in NYC

18 hours ago, The Natural said:

Speaking of "I can't believe I'm the only person that does". When I see Silver, I ALWAYS think to the late, great Mr. Brodie Lee saying "Why is it always fucking Silver?"

I always quote this in my head too, followed by Reynolds’ “he’s just a kid”.

I’ve always liked Jungle Boy but the change of music has added SO MUCH to his presentation, he looks like a star now.

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, eikerir said:

I always quote this in my head too, followed by Reynolds’ “he’s just a kid”.

I’ve always liked Jungle Boy but the change of music as added SO MUCH to his presentation, he looks like a star now.

Think I'd seen it mentioned that his dad's people had negotiated his contract with AEW so Jack only signed for 2 years, rather than 5. If that's the case, it's a really good idea that they're making him feel like someone important around about now as he's much more inclined to re-sign, you would hope. 

• Like 5

That opener, damn! 

Mox cute this promo for beach bash and has this subtle throw away line about 6 man tags and while I didn't hear exactly what he said him giving 6 man wars a shout out sent a chill down my spine remembering his time with the Shield

Don't know off the top of my head if Jericho and pillman Jr have had a match before but that felt like a big moment in my mind at least seeing them lock up, right as Schiavone and Ross mentioned the Dungeon and Pillman Sr, Lance, etc

Picture in picture just ended so bye for now, but damn what an amazing open to the show so far

• Like 1

I think it's a really good '80s pop song but the crowd constantly singing it as a sort of "Let's Go Jungle Boy" was getting on my nerves. It was like the crowd singing "Judas" to try and hype up Jericho. Just not necessary. 

Speaking of unnecessary crowd chants, I think we got our first "This Is Awesome" since COVID started

• Like 1

I finally saw Kingston/Archer tonight and it was awesome, man. I hope they get to do it again on PPV some time, because that thing was a slugfest. I knew the ending was what it was gonna be too (both prediction-wise and spoilers) and it really did not temper my enjoyment one bit. 

4 hours ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

Wasn't TNT's feed in the shitter for the first 30 minutes? 

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if people were either watching NXT or something else for a while. Heck, I thought they would have lost the week. 

And I don't think they planned to do the rematch next week but I'm sure the blackout is the reason why. So good for them on doing that. 

4 hours ago, Hayabusa said:

That opener, damn! 

Mox cute this promo for beach bash and has this subtle throw away line about 6 man tags and while I didn't hear exactly what he said him giving 6 man wars a shout out sent a chill down my spine remembering his time with the Shield

Don't know off the top of my head if Jericho and pillman Jr have had a match before but that felt like a big moment in my mind at least seeing them lock up, right as Schiavone and Ross mentioned the Dungeon and Pillman Sr, Lance, etc

Picture in picture just ended so bye for now, but damn what an amazing open to the show so far

Jericho has shouted out PIllman Jr a couple of times, it's clear Jericho values him.   I wouldn't be surprised if Jericho ends up recruiting the Varisty Blondes if the Inner Circle breaks up.

6 hours ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

Wasn't TNT's feed in the shitter for the first 30 minutes? 

There are probably other factors, but it sure seems like something between 150k - 200k fans switched over due to the snafu, and then stayed with NXT.  It'll be interesting to see if the numbers shift back next week... or if a bunch of those people switch permanently to "Watch NXT live and DVR AEW."

• Sad 1

Pretty much exactly what you’d want from Kingston/Archer, and I think the booking was right, Kingston hasn’t really picked up enough wins and Archer wasn’t hurt given how dominant he was. Liked the reference to Archer maybe indulging himself dishing out more punishment without Jake’s guidance, that little comment gets across the nature of his character, the importance of the manager and adds a little vulnerability to his game.

Was probably just the lighting but I was thinking Sting had dyed his hair.

Been enjoying Garrison’s hot tag over recent weeks, great Stinger splash. I feel like Pillman looks too sleazy for the slightly characterless, up and coming babyface role, should get rid of the mullet and/or beard.

Nemeth looked really low-rent and doing a number of his brother’s spots was a bad choice if he wanted to stand out as anything other than Dolph’s brother randomly getting a shot. Liking the build up of Page though and adding another layer to the story.

As everyone has said the Tarzan boy theme is a great touch and should be great with full crowds. Nice match, I was just thinking the finish looked a bit weak on the thicker dude, but then the variation made it look a lot better. Nice visual of Luchasuarus hanging in the ropes after the beat down.

I like the whole build around the Bullet Club stuff, they’ve built tension so you can logically have the Bucks split off again but I could still see there being a swerve. Personally, I’d have the Bucks go full heel, I don’t think their characters have ever really come across as likeable and it always felt like that was part of the Hangman story (e.g. he was right not to trust them) but that kind of feels like it got dropped during the build to FTR/Page & Omega.  Nice chaotic feel to the aftermath as well, that’s been done well the last few weeks.

• Like 1

Oh and I generally like grumpy JR when it’s in the context of the match, pointing out mistakes, etc., I think it makes his praise feel more earned. But he’s becoming increasingly annoying to me. The sarcastic comment after the Red Velvet promo, the angle is shit but he still shouldn’t be undermining it and it came at the expense of the new face who actually cut a decent promo.

Plus some of the digs/dismissals of Excalibur come across as mean-spirited. It stinks of the shit you get in WWE with commentators constantly sniping at each other. At least the Mike Bailey reference was kind of relevant to a decent part of AEW’s audience, I’m not sure who JR is appealing to with some of the weird references he pulls out.

• Like 1

The FTR vs. Jurassic Express feud is the kind of booking I like. I may have slightly altered the steps to get here (this felt like a fourth point of escalation instead of a second, I may have had Jungle Boy get a roll up instead of a submission) but the post match was all good. Cutting off rubber horns sounds kind of dumb but dickhead heels would do exactly that to mock someone dressed up like a dinosaur. Fucking up JXpress with a double spike piledriver to get them in position to humiliate them worked very well. And the audible gasp you could hear from people not in the building in their homes when FTR went for JB's hair was picture perfect. As others have said, Marko Stunt leading the charge to save was fine since he had other people with him.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kev said:

I like the whole build around the Bullet Club stuff, they’ve built tension so you can logically have the Bucks split off again but I could still see there being a swerve. Personally, I’d have the Bucks go full heel, I don’t think their characters have ever really come across as likeable and it always felt like that was part of the Hangman story (e.g. he was right not to trust them) but that kind of feels like it got dropped during the build to FTR/Page & Omega.  Nice chaotic feel to the aftermath as well, that’s been done well the last few weeks.

I kind of feel like the 'will they, won't they' with The Bucks in particular is super played out and annoying at this point after their last aborted heel turn. I don't feel a lot of affection for the Kenny Omega-Young Bucks relationship so I'm not invested in their relationship sticking together or not. Unlike FTR-Jurassic Express which is a step ahead by a week or two, this feels like a month behind in terms of pacing. BAM, Kenny turns heel and wins the title. BAM, here are The Good Brothers from IMPACT. BAM, they fuck up all their old friends. BAM, their friends are out for revenge. Instead, they've wasted momentum by turning the question from what Kenny and Callis have up their sleeves to whose side are the Bucks on when we still haven't clearly defined who is on AEW's side and what the stakes are. This is one of those angles that actually needed Cody to stick his face in as The Being John Cena Champion and he's MIA with a celebrity feud.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Goodear said:

I kind of feel like the 'will they, won't they' with The Bucks in particular is super played out and annoying at this point after their last aborted heel turn. I don't feel a lot of affection for the Kenny Omega-Young Bucks relationship so I'm not invested in their relationship sticking together or not. Unlike FTR-Jurassic Express which is a step ahead by a week or two, this feels like a month behind in terms of pacing. BAM, Kenny turns heel and wins the title. BAM, here are The Good Brothers from IMPACT. BAM, they fuck up all their old friends. BAM, their friends are out for revenge. Instead, they've wasted momentum by turning the question from what Kenny and Callis have up their sleeves to whose side are the Bucks on when we still haven't clearly defined who is on AEW's side and what the stakes are. This is one of those angles that actually needed Cody to stick his face in as The Being John Cena Champion and he's MIA with a celebrity feud.

Yeah, I agree to an extent, although the Bucks role here makes a lot more sense than it did in the FTR feud. I think this is part of why I’d have Bucks go heel as well, they’ve teased it enough now that they should really pull the trigger. 

I wonder whether the Cody-Shaq stuff is part of why this is getting dragged out, they’re maybe waiting on Cody being freed up to insert him into this angle. Having the Bucks go heel and the majority of the EVPs being aligned with Callis would be an escalation with the balance of power really shifting to them, and a fairly logical step for Cody to get involved.

I’d agree they need to define some stakes at some point but I’m happy to give AEW the benefit of doubt on this and let it play out. I’m seeing this part of the story as Moxley’s attempted revenge, potentially with him getting written out soon, then you start to bring in Cody and Hangman stories down the line. I don’t mind the slower place of the angles and they’re doing a decent job of weaving the likes of Death Triangle and even Private Party into the wider story so there’s different strands to it. Also, particularly in the pandemic era it’s understandable that they’re maybe hoping to save some big matches/moments for live crowds.

• Like 1

I don’t think there’s really any ambiguity about what’s going on with the Young Bucks.  Aside from the first night when they did the show-closing Too Sweet, which was specifically calculated to generate WTF buzz heading into the next show, they have been pretty explicit in showing that the Bucks are NOT with Callis’s bullshit and Callis doesn’t give a fuck about them.  There is nothing ambiguous about the Bucks’ alignment here.  We’re not waiting to see if they are or aren’t with Don’s boys, we’re just waiting for the final shoe to drop that inevitably blows up the Bucks’ increasingly tenuous friendship with Kenny and the Good Brothers.  I don’t think they’ve done a single overtly, or even subtly, heelish thing this whole time.  Much different from when they were bullying announcers and shit during the FTR feud.

• Like 3