DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 1/27/2021

Dolfan in NYC

13 minutes ago, Jiji said:

It's noticeable but I don't think Pillman Jr. is bad by any stretch. 

I think Pillman is better at the character stuff than the wrestling judging by his MLW work.  I'm not sure what would help him out though- I think he just needs a good feud, though they're not going to do that as long as he's under MLW contract.

I love SIlver's little big man style.

Edited by alstein
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, EVA said:

Also, god bless those “merch vendors” who bumped around on concrete to put Team Taz over.

Except for the one wearing his mask below his nose. He deserved everything that happened to him.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

I appreciate that and I will watch it after I've crawled out of the 80s dance music YouTube hole that Tarzan Boy has sent me down yet again ? 

That's a nice place to be, as far as holes go, take your time!

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Infinit said:

I forgot to give some props to Stu. He's totally become one of my low key favorites on the roster. Reminds me so much of Flock-era Saturn. 

That's a good shout. Bonus marks for Stu Grayson's finisher, a version of Bane's Backbreaker to Batman and the name, Knightfall.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Man, this episode was fucking awesome. Loved Moxley not getting outsmarted by Kenny. 

A smart babyface. Refreshing. Such a difference from Jon Moxley in AEW to Dean Ambrose in WWE.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3

Skipped a lot of this but man Kingston vs Archer was good shit TV wrestling. Eddie brought another awesome showing here and carried Archer to probably the best match he's had in AEW. Great chops and 'chopping the big man down' stuff. Chokeslam on the apron was pretty nuts, maybe if anything too nuts for it's placement in the match and for a TV opener. Also the ripcord chokeslam has to be one of the most pointless set-ups for a move imaginable. Still, good shit, and I really liked that they had a proper dastardly heel finish that didn't come across cheap.

I enjoyed Jungle Boy vs Harwood too but it dragged a bit towards the end. Have to wonder if they are setting up a stipulation match between these 2 teams for the PPV with that angle after the match, I would be down for that. Just hope it doesn't turn into a scramble with all these other teams who got involved.

I did get a good laugh out of Jericho finishing his match with a perfect Lionsault and smirk.

Cody vs Shaq does nothing for me.

• Like 1

That Dynamite just flew by with so much to enjoy. Kingston/Archer was everything I hoped for (aside from Eddie going arse over tit on that chokeslam) being two of my favourites on the roster. Loved the dynamics and violence between the two, and boy did Lance just keel over like a big redwood with the loaded punch. Very satisfying.

Enjoyed the pace of Jungle Boy/Dax and the match flow did feel like a throwback (although maybe I just have had that word hammered into my brain through the repetition on commentary). Is the Tarzan Boy sing-a-long the most rhythmically complex wrestling chant that could potentially catch on fire? It reminds me of a soccer chant, I could imagine a full stadium joyously belting it out after a few beers. 

The juxtaposition of Mox's stripped-down, unplugged, what-you-see-is-what-you-get presentation and PAC's spooky church hall CRT TV-induced rage is quite striking.

Thunder Rosa's exasperated eye-roll after the run-in was not quite at the famous Rock gif level but pretty respectable nonetheless, after another great Britt character performance. 

I still have a soft spot for Pillman. He's not bad and he threw a mean missile dropkick so that has to count for something, right? Griff did look great though with all his flurries of offence and I was definitely ready for an upset. But I guess Jericho had to prove his haters and doubters wrong with a vintage Lionsault.

You just knew the amazing Grayson hot tag was coming and it was all the sweeter when it came, for me both he and Silver are neck-and-neck on the best hot tags in the company. I also don't have a problem with the Good Brothers bringing some ole Biz Cliz entertainment on a Wednesday.

• Like 6

Good seeing you, @Custos. You have my favourite avatar here as I see Zack Sabre Jr smug smile and think back to his rants when he loses in NJPW specifically in the G1 Climax alongside his hatred of Boris Johnson, the Prime Minister. Best wishes, friend.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Cheers @The Natural, ZSJ's smug mug is (among many other things) what's great about wrestling. And we're not too dissimilar when it comes to the politics either (though I hastily add that I won't get into it here!). If the forbidden door did open, I do wonder how he'd fare in a featured position on Dynamite. He does thrive though in the no-holds-barred promo setting of New Japan.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So I think someone backstage might be pushing Griff Garrison to try to be a new version of Edge. Which to me, they should be encouraging him to be more like a new version of the young Barry Windham.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

Indeed I am. I started it well after 8:30, but instead of joining live I went back to the beginning pre-recorded and yeah, it was all shitty. I fast forwarded until the Moxley promo and it's been fine since, and I'm now caught up. 

Did the exact same thing on YTTV and had the same problem. Black screen from Kingston's entrance to the end of Moxley's promo. Going to check it out tonight, but MAN I was bummed out. Funny, the screen froze right as I was saying aloud "This is gonna rule, I'm telling you..." I can't freaking wait to watch tonight. 

Rest of the show was a shit ton of fun, though. Jungle Boy/Dax brought it, man. You could tell they were losing a little steam by all the two counts, but the rest of that match was fire.

The Shaq stuff just isn't grabbing me so far. I like Velvet in the ring on Dark, but my mind's eye can see the wheels coming off already when she's in there with Jade. Cody and Arn are great, but carrying this thing by themselves is asking an awful lot I feel like.

• Like 1

Great show!!

I liked Kingston winning dirty but, at the same time, that's two matches in a row where he was just dominated by his opponent without getting a whole lot of offense.  Are we supposed to take him as a contender or as a midcard guy who has no chance of winning at all without chicanery?  I mean if "2021 Eddie Gilbert" is his role, that's how to do it.  Really good match, though!

Speaking of this match, here's my pedantic JR commentary criticism of the week.  He said something like, "this is the type of match the legit tough guys in wrestling like."  As opposed to what?  Those soft bitches like Omega and the Bucks working their Cirque Du Soliel style?  Calling some guys "legit" is business-exposing.  If this is a sport in kayfabe, aren't all these wrestlers legit tough guys on some level?

LOL x infinity @ Jericho's picture perfect Lionsault and shit-eating grin.  The announcers were all over it, too.  AEW's fourth wall stuff is the best.

Really fun interpersonal dynamics with the Inner Circle and Bullet Club stuff.  It's cool to see something a little more complex than we'd see elsewhere, like the Bucks being Kenny's friend, friendly-ish but still wary of the Good Brothers, disliking Callis outright, while Kenny is being manipulated by Callis and the Brothers are clearly out to get the Bucks.  Cool gimmick with Anderson kneeing Silver in the back from the apron, then disappearing so Silver thought one of the Bucks did it.  Callis' HUGE BANDAGE was amazing and now I'm leaning toward the idea that the Bucks never touched him.  Next week he'll be wrapped like the Invisible Man at this rate.

Speaking of interpersonal goodness, sleazy Matt Hardy just being a good pal to "accompanied by crippling emotional baggage" Hangman is great.  Unlike Bischoff and DDP, Hangman doesn't do the group thing.

Meanwhile MJF is manipulating the Inner Circle but Sammy doesn't buy it in the least. 

Two takeaways from Cody's promo: 1) Cody looks like Johnny Knoxville.  2) Cody's tattoo is awful.  Design and placement aside (yes, both are shit), it's just really poorly done.  I got several closeups of it during the promo and I can tell you that my 5 year old colors inside the lines better.  There are blank spots that went uncolored and other spots where colors go where they're not supposed to.  Holy shit.  I make good money but far less than him, and none of my tattoos look that shitty.  Not to mention it totally looks like some shit you'd see on a Proud Boys flag.

God bless TK for buying licensed music.  Tarzan Boy adds so much to Jungle Boy's presentation.  That match was *chef's kiss* and is hopefully the start of Perry moving up as a singles guy.  Tremendous.

That 8 man tag was amazing.  Silver going nuts and running around trashing everybody would have blown the roof off with a real live big crowd.

Does anyone know what's up with travel restrictions and what Pac is doing?  Does he go back and forth or is he in the US for now?

I liked Sting and Dahby's HOODLUMS promo.  Real Estate Steve taking it to the streets!

Fenix continues to try really hard to die on dives.  Moxley making the save was excellent.

What DX gestures has WWE supposedly trademarked? Because there were a lot of too sweets and crotch chops tonight.

Excalibur dropped a Speedball Mike Bailey reference!

Is Pillman still a Covid denier?  Has Anderson stopped by to tell him to kindly fuck off?

Now I' thinking of the out of left field indy teams the Bucks could challenge.  Chase Holliday and Hoodfoot?  Violence is Forever?  GAYTANIC PANIC?

Shaq calling Cody a "little girl" as an insult in 2021 is no bueno.  This angle is hot garbage.  I guess Cody wants to outdo 2003 HHH by proving he can carry 3 inexperienced people.  At the same time, giving Cody 5-10 minutes on each episode to work in the AEW Celebrity Division, then having him interact with nobody else and be part of nothing else is a good trade-off.  

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 6

11 hours ago, The Natural said:

Hot tag as Silver runs rampant.

I shouldn't be saying this, but...In the morning I legit misread the Meat Man party as "Man Meat party" and thought "Yours don't stop? Well, good for you, since mine hardly starts!" Yeah, nevermind.

Edited by Shartnado
Moved a comma...
  • Haha 4

I can hear what JR was saying with the tough guy comment, he's saying guys like Kingston and Archer enjoy the challenge of the physicality so while other wrestlers may be more focussed on avoiding damage to win they lean into it head on. Still not a great comment but at least it was within the realm of the ring.

Cody/Shaq is a monkey's paw angle. Great crossover potential with a huge star (finger creeks down) but you have no control over your access to one of the participants so it will be slipshod and another one will go on the shelf with child so you will use two untested performers as proxies and the results will look... okay. Not quite ready for prime time. The whole thing is doomed because neither Shaq nor Cody want to be the heel so they're trying for a David/Goliath showdown only everyone's the good guy. If egos had been put aside, running Shaq against an actual heel might have given the feud more direction and maybe they wouldn't have to resort to calling people 'girls' like its an insult in 2021.

Archer and Kingston tore it up and the right guy went over. Eddie can lose every week but he needs two big wins a year to crow about.

• Like 1

The usual enjoyable show on Dynamite this week. Agreed on the opener and Dax/Perry matches both being very good. 

For a smaller guy, jungle boy really makes his strikes look hurty. He leans all the way in on them and they're so quick. That powerbomb by Dax was one of the best I've ever seen, just wonderful strength and technique. Could have done without all the "axe" stuff on commentary though. 

Interesting move having Hardy approach Hangman. When I saw the card, I hoped/assumed that maybe Page would come to Dark Order's rescue against the Biz Cliz. 

Archer has such an eye for the camera, I adore his constant talk to the camera while bringing the pain, even if I can't understand a word. Was this his first week entering through the "face" tunnel? 

I'm a child who loves puerile immature humour, so gallows swinging his belt between his legs cracks me up every time. It's the slowness of the swing that makes it, he takes his time with it. 

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

It was really funny when JR was musing about who the name "the Ax" could have been represented by and Tony has to bring up Larry Hennig a couple minutes later. The senility increases.

That odd Hennig reference was definitely my favorite part of the show.

I don't if there's really much more to say about Jungle Boy vs Dax because it fucking ruled, BUT let's talk about that post match angle.

I audibly gasped twice. Why, WHY do I care enough to feel sad that they cut Luchasaurus' horns off? Oh, I know why, because they do a fucking awesome job of booking to make me care that much. The second time I gasped was when they nearly cut off Jungle Boy's hair. I would be looking to riot if that happened. Fuck FTR. Dicks.

Also, POWDA IN DA EYES!

• Like 6

For all the talk about being a throwback that was really some old-school shit. Powder, crucifixion, cutting the horns, double double teams, and the big face run-in. That's how you do it. 

"Bullet Club" popped into my brain which somehow made me imagine PAC doing the Zandig promo. "BULLET CLUB? BULLET CLUB'S DEAD, ARE YOU BLIND? JAYSUS!" in his thick accent. Plus the hairlines are similar! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4