DVDVR Message Board

RIP RUkered

jstout

Rippa, fix this if its out of kilter in any way. Thanks.

Derek Burke, who posted here as RUkered, died Thursday. He did quite a bit of posting in this folder, which is why I put this here. He was probably known on here as part of our little group of online gamers (Derek, me, Melraz [Nate] and Robert C) known for picking on level 2s and teaching them life lessons on GTA Online. We also played other online games, and gaming online without Derek just plain won't be the same. Phil said his last post here was in the Borderlands folder and consisted of the sentence "death can kiss my hairy ass." 

Nate lost a friend of over 30 years, and while I only got to meet Derek once, it feels to me like I've lost a lifelong friend. All of us would be laughing our asses off so hard we couldn't play a few times a night. Melraz and Robert also got to hear Derek and I sing our favorite grunge tunes once, and there was one occasion where someone kept killing us, and I about stormed into their party to tell them to lay off us,we were trying to talk pro wrestling over here.

He had been married about 2 years, and had a 1-year-old daughter who's the epitome of cute and was truly adored. Some of Derek's friends have started a GoFundMe page to help the family. If there's anything you can spare, it'd be appreciated.

• Like 1
  • Sad 12

Thanks for posting that John.  I never got to meet Burke, but I’ve been a mess since Thursday.  We spent endless hours doing stupid things on gta. One of my favorite gaming memories was nothing but him and me laughing at melraz for 20 minutes while he fought a bl3 boss. 

Anything to help his family while they’re dealing with the loss of husband and father would mean a lot. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Holy shit. That's just super shocking. What an awful, awful thing to have happened and the dude, from pictures, looks really healthy. 

Just...wtf...

RIP

If I remember Nate correctly, the hospital called it pneumonia, but I wonder if there wasn't some COVID there. He was one of them milkfed younguns, lifted a lot of weight in his time. I can't remember if he ever competed in local bodybuilding or not. I know at one point he was ticked to have a pro set of weights and a rack at home so he wouldn't have to fool with a gym anymore.

My favorite online moment: BA-DING! became an inside joke for us because we'd be playing GTA and his future wife would be texting him every 20 seconds, I swear. BA-DING! BA-DING! BA-DING BA-DING! Right after a BA-DING!, I managed to get in "and that is the sound of whooped."

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, jstout said:

If I remember Nate correctly, the hospital called it pneumonia, but I wonder if there wasn't some COVID there. He was one of them milkfed younguns, lifted a lot of weight in his time. I can't remember if he ever competed in local bodybuilding or not. I know at one point he was ticked to have a pro set of weights and a rack at home so he wouldn't have to fool with a gym anymore.

My favorite online moment: BA-DING! became an inside joke for us because we'd be playing GTA and his future wife would be texting him every 20 seconds, I swear. BA-DING! BA-DING! BA-DING BA-DING! Right after a BA-DING!, I managed to get in "and that is the sound of whooped."

Oh Lord. I forgot the night Nate texted him about 50 times in a row so his phone would ba-ding 50 times in a row. And every text said ba-ding.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I forgot Burke played ME Andromeda too

So I don't have this game yet, but Melraz has been urging me to get it. I was playing Halo 2 last night (very current on my games as you can tell) and got an invite to a party chat with Melraz and Robert. From an outsider's perspective - just based on the descriptions the two of them gave me, this is my understanding of the game: - You can have neon suits that make Melraz throw up - There are blue people..

• Like 1

AND Fallout 4!!!

I just got this, made it to Concord, am level 2, scrapped a bunch of shit, and get continuously confused about how to use Pip Boy.

Ran into some raiders and got dead.

I'm gonna have to read up to figure out what to do. Everything seems confusing.

Although, even if I never play another second, I'm glad I got it because it gave me my new favorite thing to do in real life. It cracked me up when I saw that it says ACTIVATE on mostly everything.

I've been running around my house all night yelling Toilet...ACTIVATE! Potato chips...ACTIVATE! Paper towel...ACTIVATE!

• Like 2

I never met Burke in realspace, but we have spent quite a few drunken nights In GTA Online with Nate (BEER THREE~!), Stout, and the rest of the DVDVR Cartel picking on white dots and trolling lowbies and squeakers with sniper rifles and vehicle bombs.  As far as I am concerned, Burke is my brother.  I feel that everyone in the Cartel is family since we have shared so much about our lives with each other.

I will miss our gang war in GTA Online with the Church of Satan.  Those sissies were no match for our firepower and tenacity.   We owned them.

It is because of Nate and Burke that I know all the words to Friends In Low Places by heart and I will always be grateful for that.

Donated.

RIP RUkerd. ?

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2