DVDVR Message Board

2021 STUFF ABOUT SPORTS MEDIA THREAD

hammerva

We really live in the dumbest era in human history. Even fucking cavemen who didn't figure out sorry,  agriculture or much of anything else did everything they could to survive. We have to be the first group of people who thinks survival is a secondary motivation. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

After the passing of Colin Powell this morning, this argument on vaccines isn't only going to get louder and louder

Probably.  Though if you're looking at an 84-year-old man with cancer of the blood and multiple other conditions and drawing broad conclusions, you probably are an idiot.  Powell's immune system was likely devastated long before Covid.  

Let's be honest though.  There aren't many of us over the age of 12 sitting on the fence.  The anti-vaxxers have already made up their mind and are only going to get vaccinated if scared into it by the virus hitting close to home or forced into it by job requirements or whatever.

Vaccines for kids 5-12 will likely be approved first week of November.  So we have that to look forward too,  Yay!  Ultimately, I think the government will mandate vaccines in schools nationwide and that will de-politicize it somewhat, but it's going to be rough until then.

You'd think sports people would look at, well, sports, and learn some lessons, but nope.  Last year at this time, it was dicey which schools would play next weekend and we were playing pro games on Tuesdays and Wednesdays,  Baseball got through the season with only a couple minor issues and so far we haven't had a NFL game canceled and no college games (that I know of).

There was a minor furor in Ireland when one of their footballers came out as anti-vax, even though he had already had Covid twice. 

I think for athletes, it will take an active player in a major dying before the vast majority of them get Jabbed. 

12 minutes ago, Eoae said:

Though if you're looking at an 84-year-old man with cancer of the blood and multiple other conditions and drawing broad conclusions, you probably are an idiot.

That or willfully presenting as ignorant. Either way, I have less than zero patience for anyone who wants to score points in vaccine arguments with this weak tea. 

• Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

There was a minor furor in Ireland when one of their footballers came out as anti-vax, even though he had already had Covid twice. 

I think for athletes, it will take an active player in a major dying before the vast majority of them get Jabbed. 

I feel like vax rates among athletes are probably higher than the general public.  Most of the college teams I've heard about have high vaccination rates, most teams in NFL and MLB have high rates, NBA says it's up to 96%, NHL says it has one unvaccinated player, etc.  Athletes don't want to lose playing time or cause the team to miss games.

I'm assistant coach of a high school volleyball team (my daughter is head coach).  Early in the season, one of the kids tested positive and most of the team had to quarantine because they were unvaccinated.  My daughter had been encouraging them to get vaccinated since practice started in the summer, to no avail.  I took a different tactic.  While the kids were quarantined, I emailed families and basically said "if you want to sit out state playoffs this year because someone tests positive the weekend before sectionals, keep it up.  By the way, if we spend too much time sitting out because unvaccinated players keep testing positive, me and my daughter will probably find something else to do with our time next year."

We have a pretty good chance of going deep in postseason this year - hopefully to states.  Kids got out of quarantine, a couple of the seniors leaned on the younger kids, most everyone got their first shot the following week.

Edited by Eoae
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I think it's safe to say that McAfee is probably making more money now than he ever did in the NFL. 

MacAfee says he made approx. $14 million during his playing days.

Pat also disclosed that he's giving away to various charities and causes.  Several youth sports programs in his hometown of Plum, PA are getting a total of $2.85 million.  The new children's wing at West Virginia University Hospital is receiving $1 million (Pat played college ball at WVU).  Former teammates Robert Mathis and Peyton Manning are getting $1 mil apiece for their charitable foundations, several Indianapolis charities are getting a few hundred grand apiece, etc.  MacAfee also revealed he is giving each member of his show's staff a $250,000 bonus and gave at least a million to his parents.

Good dude.

Edit: Oh, and he's running a contest for listeners of his show.  Winner gets $1.5 million.

Edited by Tarheel Moneghetti
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Since this was the thread it was initially talked about back in Sept - I will mention this here

The Ohio Department of Education has ruled that Bishop Sycamore High School is, indeed, a scam

Spoiler

An Ohio school whose legitimacy was scrutinized after its supposedly top-tier football team got clobbered in an ESPN-televised game didn't live up to its billing educationally either: It turned out to be "a scam," according to an investigation by the Ohio Department of Education.

Republican Gov. Mike DeWine said he is asking the attorney general and other officials to determine whether any laws were broken by what claimed to be the Columbus-area Bishop Sycamore High School. DeWine said he will work with state education officials and lawmakers on enacting changes recommended by the department to avoid a repeat of the situation.

"Ohio families should be able to count on the fact that our schools educate students and don't exist in name only as a vehicle to play high school sports," DeWine said in a statement Friday.

The state found no evidence that Bishop Sycamore enrolled multiple students this year and concluded it didn't meet minimum standards, including for academic offerings and student safety, according to the ODE investigation launched after the team's televised 58-0 loss to Florida-based powerhouse IMG Academy in August.

Bishop Sycamore's report filed with the department for this school year listed only one enrolled student and stated its physical address as a home in a residential neighborhood.

In a call with a department official last month, Bishop Sycamore administrator Andre Peterson characterized his program as a way to get more exposure for football players who were having trouble getting into colleges, according to the ODE report.

Messages seeking comment were left Saturday for Peterson via phone and the school's email address. In previous comments reported by USA Today Sports, Peterson had denied there was any "scam" to the lopsided football game or the school, saying it helped players hoping to compete in college.

It identified itself to the ODE as a "non-chartered, non-tax-supported school," a category that is largely outside of the department's oversight and that allows for bypassing certain typical systems of operation because of "truly held religious beliefs." But the department said it couldn't determine whether Bishop Sycamore had such beliefs.

The ODE concluded Bishop Sycamore wasn't a school but "a way for students to play football against high school teams and potentially increase students' prospects of playing football at the collegiate level."

"The cost of this dream for those students wasn't just the tuition charged to attend the school," the department said in its report. "The price was the education the students were entitled to receive."

The department noted that such schools aren't under its oversight and don't require its approval and that it doesn't have power under state law to sanction Bishop Sycamore.

The ODE's recommended changes included amending state law to authorize the department to monitor whether the hundreds of schools listing themselves as non-chartered, non-tax-supported schools are meeting the more relaxed minimum standards for that category and to require corrective action if needed.

https://www.espn.com/high-school/football/story/_/id/32894888/hs-program-featured-espn-investigated-deemed-scam-ohio-board-education

• Like 1

It's hilarious that the new football coach publicly denied that they were a school, calling it a paperwork error.  

And then the not-a-school went and applied to be reaccredited in 2022

Edited by Mark
bad grammar

A hideous story. Honestly don't read unless you wanna be sad for the next week

Jeff Dickerson, a fixture at ESPN and in the Chicago sports market for two decades, died Tuesday of complications from colon cancer. He was 44.

In a cruel twist, Dickerson died at the same hospice care facility that his wife, Caitlin, died in two years ago. Caitlin Dickerson had fought melanoma and its complications for eight years. Jeff Dickerson is survived by their son, Parker, and his parents, George and Sandy Dickerson.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32953502/jeff-dickerson-espn-chicago-bears-reporter-dies-age-44