DVDVR Message Board

2021 STUFF ABOUT SPORTS MEDIA THREAD

hammerva

9 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Stephen A admitting he wanted Max off the show surprises me.

Not that it's why Max is off, just that SAS admitted it.

From what I understand, the two of them actually like each other, but Max has always been a square peg on that show.  Bomani Jones and Dominique Foxworth were talking about the times they've been on First Take a few weeks ago.  Both of them are very good at television, but neither of them seem to think that they could do that show.  They both said something to the effect that the show works at it's best when someone can go as hard at Stephen A. as he goes at them.  He actually needs someone to come back at him with a strong opinion so they can go back and forth.  The problem is that no one actually has the ability to come up with instant strong opinions like him.  He doesn't want to talk over someone the entire time, he wants and needs someone to actually try to compete with him.  Max is good at what he does, that show isn't what he does.

19 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Hence why you get the clips of Michael Irvin screaming like a loon

Michael Irvin gets my vote for person outside of pro wrestling who would have been the best pro wrestler.  Incredible athlete, loves cocaine, great promo, he legit has it all.

• Like 3

I didn't watch much of the Kellerman era of First Take, but my impression from what I did watch is that Max was a weird fit.  I think he's a knowledgeable guy and fine in other roles, but he's not a big personality like Stephen A. or in your face with his opinions like Skip Bayless.  I kinda felt like Screamin' A was probably going to drown him out just with force of personality and a lot of bombast.

Watched the show new format some and it's got more energy, imo.  Not opposed to the rotating guest host format.  Honestly, Irvin and Stephen A. screaming at each other on a daily basis would probably be good tv.

On 9/11/2021 at 8:38 AM, RIPPA said:

Also sorta WWE related - ESPN let Adnan Virk go recently

ESPN let Adnan go a couple of years ago to prove a point about baseball leaks. A lot of people came to Adnan's defense when it happened at the time. 

8 hours ago, supremebve said:

Michael Irvin gets my vote for person outside of pro wrestling who would have been the best pro wrestler.  Incredible athlete, loves cocaine, great promo, he legit has it all.

Does he have an opinion on fanny packs?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Imagine Irvin in World Class hanging around with Gino and Chris as a heel or being a face vs the Freebirds. 

Isn't, you know, being on the 90's-era Cowboys the same exact thing?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EdA said:

Isn't, you know, being on the 90's-era Cowboys the same exact thing?

If you read anything about the 90s era Cowboys, you'll find that not only is it comparable, but Michael Irvin was the most influential person on the entire team.  Michael Irvin is a crazy person who not only does crazy things himself, but influences everyone around him to be just as crazy.  He's one of those people who does everything at 100% intensity 100% of the time, and you either have to match that intensity or be destroyed by it.  I think he'll be great with Stephen A. and it's also why he'd have been an incredible wrestler.

44 minutes ago, supremebve said:

If you read anything about the 90s era Cowboys, you'll find that not only is it comparable, but Michael Irvin was the most influential person on the entire team.  Michael Irvin is a crazy person who not only does crazy things himself, but influences everyone around him to be just as crazy.  He's one of those people who does everything at 100% intensity 100% of the time, and you either have to match that intensity or be destroyed by it.  I think he'll be great with Stephen A. and it's also why he'd have been an incredible wrestler.

I watched about 10 seconds of Irvin with Stephen A and had to turn it off.  He's just too much.  Way too loud, way too amped up.  When you make Screamin' A look calm by comparison...