DVDVR Message Board

2021 STUFF ABOUT SPORTS MEDIA THREAD

hammerva

• 5 weeks later...

Draft Kings has bought the rights to Dan Le Batard's podcast

The digital entertainment and gaming company agreed to pay at least $50 million over three years to distribute a popular sports and pop-culture podcast hosted by former ESPN host Dan Le Batard, people familiar with the matter said. DraftKings is looking to make money on the deal by selling advertising and sub-licensing the podcast to radio stations and other audio providers, other people said.

DraftKings is making a major push into the media business, wagering that radio shows and sports recaps will drive additional customers to its betting products. Last month, DraftKings said it reached a deal to acquire the Vegas Sports Information Network, a sports-betting media company with on-screen hosts like Brent Musburger, for an undisclosed amount.

That is from the Wall Street Journal.

The Washington Post story noted that Le Batard will now use DraftKings betting lines throughout the podcast (for those that might be following for the gambling aspects)

On 5/4/2021 at 2:11 PM, EdA said:

Since this encompasses both the Baseball and Pro-Football Reference sites, Sports Reference announced they are no longer going to list players predominantly by offensive nicknames.

I'll warn you, if you decide to check out the post, some of the names are...harsh.

This is a welcome change.  

I am gonna assume the salary cap joke wasn't THAT much of a joke since they just signed Chris Berman to an extension

Chris Berman will continue to host "NFL PrimeTime" after agreeing to a new contract with ESPN.

The multiyear agreement was announced on Berman's 66th birthday Monday.

"We've been working on it for awhile, and this was the perfect time to do it," Berman said during a telephone interview. "ESPN has been almost two-thirds of my life. I'm honored that what I do still works."

Berman has been an integral part of ESPN throughout its history after joining the network a month after its launch in September 1979. Besides being one of the original "SportsCenter" anchors, he has been a key part of the network's NFL and baseball coverage.

He hosted "NFL PrimeTime" with Tom Jackson from 1987 to 2005 on ESPN and then starting again in 2019 when it returned on the ESPN+ streaming service. Berman - who also hosted "NFL Countdown" from 1985 to 2016 - teamed up with Booger McFarland for "PrimeTime" last year when Jackson could not travel due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Berman approached ESPN President Jimmy Pitaro when ESPN+ started about the possibility of reviving "PrimeTime." Berman said seeing the success of "PrimeTime" on the streaming service has mirrored watching the growth of ESPN.

"The fact that I will get to do it again this season is something I have enjoyed the most," he said. "I love being able to help build another entity with it this time being in the streaming world."

Berman said it remains to be determined who will join him on "PrimeTime" during the upcoming season.

Berman was the 2010 recipient of the Pro Football Hall of Fame's Pete Rozelle Radio-Television Award and has been the master of ceremonies for the Hall's induction ceremony since 1999.

"Quite simply, Chris Berman has personified ESPN's success for more than four decades," Norby Williamson, ESPN's executive vice president and executive editor, said in a statement. "Fans respond to his authentic love of sports, his ability to savor and capture the big moments, and his on-air style that reminds us how live games can truly be equal parts essential and fun. We are delighted Boomer's magical ride at ESPN will continue for years to come."

There will be no greater show of false respect and appreciation than when Berman retires and/or bites the bullet. 

I've been fortunate to talk to more than a few people in sports media.  To a person, they all despise him. 

• Like 3

I won't really miss Mayne.  To me, he was the least-funny "funny" person.  I did like him a lot better when he was anchoring.  But his packages he'd do always fell flat with me.

Chris Berman is damn near unwatchable to me.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zimbra said:

The New York Times is reportedly in talks to buy The Athletic, with other suitors apparently lined up if the deal falls through.

This isn't exactly news, but it is pretty clear now that every media venture is just a long term grift in order to cash out and get sold to a new company, who repeat the process a couple years later

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Pete said:

Not wrong.

Simone Biles is better at her sport in comparison to her peers than any athlete on earth.  Seriously, she's not even competing against the other gymnasts any more, she's pretty much exclusively trying to do things no one else has ever done.  If she doesn't win it isn't because the other gymnasts are better, it's because she failed to do something that none of the other gymnasts would even think to attempt.  It's like someone is such a good hitter that they decide they are going to swing the bat with his feet.  Not only do they win the batting title, they win the batting title by a margin that the second place person isn't actually contending.

• Like 1

I listened to some of the new Le Batard show online and man this is too much at times when it isn't Dan doing interviews with people.  Seems like there are way more bits and segments than before.   The biggest issues is that it clear Dan and others have the "we are free so we can say fuck and shit as much possible" idea.  Every now and then makes sense.  Also I don't know if it is this show I watched but the other people on the show not Stugotz are uncontrollable at times.   I think it is Mike Ryan but he is like Stugotz on a cocaine binge

3 minutes ago, hammerva said:

I listened to some of the new Le Batard show online and man this is too much at times when it isn't Dan doing interviews with people.  Seems like there are way more bits and segments than before.   The biggest issues is that it clear Dan and others have the "we are free so we can say fuck and shit as much possible" idea.  Every now and then makes sense.  Also I don't know if it is this show I watched but the other people on the show not Stugotz are uncontrollable at times.   I think it is Mike Ryan but he is like Stugotz on a cocaine binge

I think they're still finding their footing with the lack of commercial time restraints.  There is a long running inside joke that Mike Ryan can come off like he's on a cocaine binge, but without having to fit the show between commercials those moments can go on much longer.  The funny thing about the show is that Stugotz, who is lazy and rarely tries, is the single best person on the show at radio.  He just understands how radio works and how to maneuver through the format. 

On another note, there is nothing better on sports media right now than the Charles Barkley GUARANTEE button on Inside the NBA.  It went from a button that just had Charles do an awful Ric Flair impersonation to this massive light show and smoke and lasers and animated dancing Charles Barkley people in the background.  Short of acrobats and gymnasts I don't think it can get any more excessive 

6 hours ago, supremebve said:

Simone Biles is better at her sport in comparison to her peers than any athlete on earth.  Seriously, she's not even competing against the other gymnasts any more, she's pretty much exclusively trying to do things no one else has ever done.  If she doesn't win it isn't because the other gymnasts are better, it's because she failed to do something that none of the other gymnasts would even think to attempt.  It's like someone is such a good hitter that they decide they are going to swing the bat with his feet.  Not only do they win the batting title, they win the batting title by a margin that the second place person isn't actually contending.

I'm sure every generation feels this way about their stars, but it's wild to me that we've gotten the peaks of three of the greatest individual athletes of all time in Biles, Serena, and Michael Phelps all right around the same time.  

14 hours ago, Zimbra said:

I'm sure every generation feels this way about their stars, but it's wild to me that we've gotten the peaks of three of the greatest individual athletes of all time in Biles, Serena, and Michael Phelps all right around the same time.  

The crazy thing about the Simone Biles thing is that she may be the harbinger for things to come.  We went from Dominique Dawes and Betty Okino being the first black women on the planet to win an Olympic medal in gymnastics in 1992 to having an all black Olympic gymnastics team in 2021.  I'm telling you, every black person grew up with at least one kid who could do some kind of crazy acrobatic shit with absolutely zero training.  These kids are now being put into gymnastics classes, and they are excelling.  Simone Biles may very well be a unicorn, best for the rest of time type of athlete, but she could just as easily be the first of many.  

• Like 1

On 6/10/2021 at 2:46 PM, hammerva said:

For me, Le Batard is a "Vince Russo" type.  Chafes at having someone looking over his shoulder and convinces you he'd probably deliver a better product if he got the creative control he seems to want and didn't have to fool with corporate interference and such.  Then he gets that creative control elsewhere and you realize he has too many ideas and isn't that good at filtering himself, and that, instead of stifling him, oversight was weeding out his worse impulses and self-indulgent ideas and he probably needs that sort of environment back.

I like Le Batard in small doses, but radio isn't the right format for small doses of anyone.  

Lol, at least Vince Russo never had a Papi.  One point in Russo's favor, bro.

Edited by Eoae

On 6/11/2021 at 8:16 AM, supremebve said:

The crazy thing about the Simone Biles thing is that she may be the harbinger for things to come.  We went from Dominique Dawes and Betty Okino being the first black women on the planet to win an Olympic medal in gymnastics in 1992 to having an all black Olympic gymnastics team in 2021.  I'm telling you, every black person grew up with at least one kid who could do some kind of crazy acrobatic shit with absolutely zero training.  These kids are now being put into gymnastics classes, and they are excelling.  Simone Biles may very well be a unicorn, best for the rest of time type of athlete, but she could just as easily be the first of many.  

Absolutely, and I wonder if tennis is in for the same kind of talent boost from delayed integration. 

I really thought it would happen with golf after Tiger, but the decimation of public golf courses pretty much killed any chance of that happening at scale.