DVDVR Message Board

2021 Wrestling RIP Thread

RIPPA

Just now, Nice Guy Eddie said:

In a company where workrate was cheered despite heel/face alignments, Rave drew genuine heel heat to the point of having toilet paper thrown at him. That takes a special kind of talent. 

Well said.

Found this:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Fuck man. The crown jewel of the Embassy deserved so much better. 

Precisely my thoughts when I heard this news.

02.jpg

Let us remember Jimmy Rave cloaked in royal finery.  That's what the Crown Jewel deserved.

RIP

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

One of the first matches I watched on RoH.  Hard to believe that both Bison Smith and Jimmy Rave are no longer with us.

That heel hook, tho.  Cabana should've tapped.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

In a company where workrate was cheered despite heel/face alignments, Rave drew genuine heel heat to the point of having toilet paper thrown at him. That takes a special kind of talent. 

I want to say "Respect Is Earned" was the Manhattan Center show we went to where Rave teamed with Adam Pearce in a four-way. AP came out to "Black Betty" first, to a ton of boos... then "House of the Rising Sun" hit and the crowd absolutely melted down in hatred as Rave came out. Seriously, that reaction was so delicious you could eat it with a spoon... and as you said, it spoke volumes for Rave's ability to smash that barrier.

(Pretty sure this was the same match where Pearce responded to the "Repo Man" chants by whipping out a Repo Man mask and working as Repo Man for a couple of minutes to the utter delight of everyone. Still one of the funniest things I've ever seen live in wrestling.)

• Like 4

2004-2008 ROH still stands as one of my, if not my favorite run by any company ever so Jimmy Rave was a huge part of that. As someone mentioned, ROH would cheer almost anyone but Rave was THE guy to hate and he embraced it completely.

My favourite Rave memories involved The Embassy run when Alex Shelley joined, whenever they teamed together they were low key hilarious in the ring. The Steel Cage Warfare is one of my fondest memories as a ROH fan and the image of Roderick Strong repeatedly backbreaking Rave until he looked like jell-o near the end of that match is embedded in my brain forever.

[Nana Voice] JIMMY RAVE! [/Nana Voice]

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

As a not to religious follower of ROH, I could never figure out why the fans hated him as much as they did.  Nana had a great line about ROH conspiring against rave as them trying to keep an upstanding African American down (since Jimmy I assume attained ghanan citizenship)

21 hours ago, Rev Ray said:

As a not to religious follower of ROH, I could never figure out why the fans hated him as much as they did.  Nana had a great line about ROH conspiring against rave as them trying to keep an upstanding African American down (since Jimmy I assume attained ghanan citizenship)

I feel like Rave was the only guy then willing to take a powder, really willing to stall and break out other BS. He had big programs against overwhelming fan favorites like AJ and Punk and I feel like he knew playing up heel tendencies was more important than going out and having the "this is awesome match." And his matches usually were fantastic.

Someone uploaded a bunch of previously-unreleased Jimmy Rave matches from an NWA affiliate that Dan Wilson was promoting around 2012.

I haven't had a chance to dig into them yet but they're in a youtube playlist here:

• Like 1

On 12/15/2021 at 5:49 PM, Rev Ray said:

Initially it was because Nana announced that he'd be revealing who the Crown Jewel of the Embassy was, and it was gonna be a huge surprise. I was at the show where the did the reveal in the middle of the ring and it was Jimmy Rave. And a LOT of folks, myself included,were like " Who?" Or if they did know who he was, it was a disappointment. 

Edited by Johnny Sorrow

On 12/15/2021 at 7:49 PM, Rev Ray said:

As a not to religious follower of ROH, I could never figure out why the fans hated him as much as they did. 

I think it was mostly the ritualistic kayfabe that you expected from RoH and ECW smarks.  There was a lot of love for Jimmy during his entrances, but you're not supposed to cheer for the heels once the match starts.  

I'm sure there were a few diehards out there that hated Jimmy's guts though.  Once he came through the curtain, he was 100% in character and he earned your scorn.

Edited by J.T.

Jimmy played everything up beautifually. from the Crown Jewel, to using the Styles Clash (after TNA pulled AJ during the RF dustup), we loved Rave, but the toilet paper was a cute gimmick, a lot of crowd hate ended up being kayfabe, Rave more than earned his respect in the ring.

He was actually a heel you wanted to pay to see get beat up.

• Like 1

On 12/17/2021 at 5:09 AM, Johnny Sorrow said:

Initially it was because Nana announced that he'd be revealing who the Crown Jewel of the Embassy was, and it was gonna be a huge surprise. I was at the show where the did the reveal in the middle of the ring and it was Jimmy Rave. And a LOT of folks, myself included,were like " Who?" Or if they did know who he was, it was a disappointment. 

Jimmy Rave had previously explicitly 'lost his spot' in ROH feuding with Generation Next - so he was basically a complete loser there. I don't think the ROH forums were terribly surprised though, people knew Nana was somewhat likely to be overhyping his new guy.

People were also upset that he perfected the Styles Clash and renamed it The Rave Clash.

• Like 1

You hear in indies how deathmatch wrestlers are mostly considered the nicest wrestlers in the business.  From all accounts Markus was that guy.  He had demons that's for sure but even with his craziness you don't hear many bad words about him.  

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 1