DVDVR Message Board

2021 Wrestling RIP Thread

RIPPA

https://deanemediasolutions.com/a-tribute-to-an-industry-legend/

The Deane Media Solutions family is deeply saddened by the passing of Kal Rudman, Founder & President of FMQB (Friday Morning Quarterback). Words cannot justify our heartfelt condolences to his wife of 63 years, Lucille Rudman. Kal peacefully passed away with his loving wife by his side.

• Sad 1

On 12/1/2021 at 11:30 PM, Cobra Commander said:

I love that Kal Rudman was a radio-industry guru that rubbed shoulders with folks like Bruce Springsteen and Clive Davis, but once a month he would use his Saturday night instead to go have himself a wonderful time at the WWF show when it came to Philadelphia, commentate the matches with Dick Graham, and interview the wonderfully over-the-top characters of the WWF as if they were actual people. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, clintthecrippler said:

I love that Kal Rudman was a radio-industry guru that rubbed shoulders with folks like Bruce Springsteen and Clive Davis, but once a month he would use his Saturday night instead to go have himself a wonderful time at the WWF show when it came to Philadelphia, commentate the matches with Dick Graham, and interview the wonderfully over-the-top characters of the WWF as if they were actual people. 

That's my favorite part about Kal...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Word going round via Jim Ross is that Blackjack Lanza has passed away at the age of 86

EDIT 

Meltzer tweeted it but his source might be JR

I know he wrestled for years and that, but the first thing that comes to mind when I hear his name is Jericho talking about Mick Foley doing a promo where he said he was applying sunscreen to a fan who slipped on the sunscreen, fell down and got injured and as they loaded him into the ambulance, said fan looked at Foley and said "Win one for the slipper!" And Jericho was backstage and watched Lanza throw down his cigarette in disgust while yelling "Goddamit, what is he doing?!" before storming off and how when Foley came through the curtain, he asked what Lanza's reaction had been, then celebrated and the entire promo had been done just to mess with him.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Absolutely heartbreaking news. He had lost an arm and both his legs in a very short time, but I didn’t expect to pass like this.

He was such an incredible talent in spite of all the demons he faced. I saw in two years ago and he was still so, so good.

His poor family.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

Fuck, man.

Before the lockdown, him and Nana challenged for the tag belts at a little North Jersey indy and I really wanted to go but had something come up that night. It was the first I'd heard anything about him in some years. It felt like he'd pop up occasionally and after hearing so much about his early life I always hoped/assumed he found some peace and happiness away from wrestling. Sucks especially hearing what he's been through over the past few years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zimbra said:

Damn, RIP Jimmy Rave

I have very fond memories of his time at Wildside. He was an incredible wrestler, knew ring psychology like someone much older, was well liked by everyone. I had not heard about the amputations, I am horrified to think of him unable to do what he loved. I hope his family can come to terms with everything.

• Like 2

I'd been messaging with him on Twitter and he was selling some of his best of dvd's.  He needed money badly for medical expenses.  He accidentally messaged me twice and then sent me a lengthy apology saying he didn't mean to send it twice and he'd had trouble sleeping and basically doing anything.  I felt awful for the guy, and then seeing he passed is just hitting super hard.  Gone way too soon.  If you've never seen Jimmy Rave go watch his feud with CM Punk from ROH. If you have seen Jimmy go and watch it again.  Or watch his Ted Petty Invitational match with AJ Styles. He was super proud to be on the show working AJ.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I know hindsight is what it is, but I had such a bad feeling when Jimmy posted the pic of his double leg amputation.  Something about his face. 

What a fucking bummer.  A damn fine wrestler.

• Sad 3

This one hit me hard.  I didn’t know him personally or even ever see him wrestle in person.  I guess it was the initial two stories that came out detailing his amputations…I feel a little disgusted with myself for enjoying the Rave vs Nigel matches.  They sure didn’t do Jimmy Rave any career favours.  

That picture of him recovering in the hospital made me feel so dreadful   Ugh.

mMy wife is a nurse and she has told me about MRSA infections in hospitals over the years.  Unfortunately I have also seen Requirm for a Dream and Jared Lehto’s arm was how I pictured MRSA infections spreading.  

I remember Jimmy on Colt’s podcast.  It felt like he had a sense of peace and acceptance towards what his life would be like in recovery.  He seemed to be telling his story for the first time to a wide audience.  

I probably hadn’t seen Rave wrestle since his last(?) ROH shows in 2009 or 2010.  It is hard to go back and enjoy ROH back on the 200 DVDs I have of their best years.  Rave was a…well, I’ll stop there I guess.  Talking about how good he was just can’t be qualified at this time.

Rave in peace.

Edited by Ryan Faulconer
  • Like 3

I still remember Jimmy Rave and Prince Nana to this day in ROH and Rave's entrance with the toilet paper rolls thrown rather than streamers. Great visual. Jimmy Rave vs. AJ Styles over the Styles Clash and Bryan Danielson defending the ROH World Championship against Rave at ROH's 4th Anniversary Show. Sad seeing Rave going from an arm amputation to both legs and now his passing, just 39. Thoughts go out to Jimmy Rave's family and friends at this traumatic time xxx.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 4