DVDVR Message Board

2021 Wrestling RIP Thread

RIPPA

16 hours ago, Shartnado said:

Yeah, Slick sold Herc's contract to Heenan making Hercules the only guy in WWF history to be sold TWICE and on the latter time into slavery.

It was actually three (argument could be made for four). Herc debuted under Freddie Blassie before Slick bought half of his contracts. Then Slick later bought the remaining half. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Uncle Coaster said:

It was actually three (argument could be made for four). Herc debuted under Freddie Blassie before Slick bought half of his contracts. Then Slick later bought the remaining half. 

The dude had no luck at all! And once he was on his own, after 6 months, his career started going even further downhill, until Power & Glory happened and wait for it, Slickster was back in his life! Stockholm Syndrome, much?

This reminds me of the pretty nice story nuance, as during the very beginning of the aborted Rude vs Bossman feud, Bossman handcuffed Heenan into the ringside barricade. Rude eventually came to his aid but was unable to break the chain. Now before or after this happened, Power and Glory with Slick walked to the ring and Heenan pleaded for them to help him. They did stop and Herc contemplated helping him and Slick was like "you could probably break that, right?", but they ended up just walking past him to their match. So all was definitely not forgiven, nor forgotten on Herc's part. I though that was pretty neat.

Edited by Shartnado
Heenan-Herc interaction story.
  • Like 8

16 hours ago, Shartnado said:

Yeah, Slick sold Herc's contract to Heenan making Hercules the only guy in WWF history to be sold TWICE and on the latter time into slavery.

Andre was sold twice, Heenan sold him to DiBiase for $1,000,000 and then bought him back for $100,000!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mister TV said:

Andre was sold twice, Heenan sold him to DiBiase for $1,000,000 and then bought him back for $100,000!

Yeah, that's actually true, but as it has been pointed out Herc ended up being sold around like a used car, so two times was actually a low estimate.

The Andre thing was one of the few actually successful business deals Heenan ended up making.

Edited by Shartnado
Andre deal made Heenan money...
  • Like 1

On 7/16/2021 at 8:11 AM, Shartnado said:

The dude had no luck at all! And once he was on his own, after 6 months, his career started going even further downhill, until Power & Glory happened and wait for it, Slickster was back in his life! Stockholm Syndrome, much?

This reminds me of the pretty nice story nuance, as during the very beginning of the aborted Rude vs Bossman feud, Bossman handcuffed Heenan into the ringside barricade. Rude eventually came to his aid but was unable to break the chain. Now before or after this happened, Power and Glory with Slick walked to the ring and Heenan pleaded for them to help him. They did stop and Herc contemplated helping him and Slick was like "you could probably break that, right?", but they ended up just walking past him to their match. So all was definitely not forgiven, nor forgotten on Herc's part. I though that was pretty neat.

It always bothered me, even as a kid, that Hercules teamed with DiBiase at the 1990 Survivor Series in the grand finale match. Their history was never addressed, nor was their any tension teased between the two. I mean, if some meglomaniac millionnaire tried to buy me as a slave, I'd be uneasy about teaming with him.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It always bothered me, even as a kid, that Hercules teamed with DiBiase at the 1990 Survivor Series in the grand finale match. Their history was never addressed, nor was their any tension teased between the two. I mean, if some meglomaniac millionnaire tried to buy me as a slave, I'd be uneasy about teaming with him.

That's right! They did team up! One would have to assume that Slick used all his mojo to convince Hercules to grit his teeth and do it, since they had such a big advantage in the finale. Of course, they still ended up losing.

Of course, this had nothing to do with their plans, but the ending of the match would have been cooler if Dibiase was the last guy pinned, not Hercules, and Herc was the one taking the "fuck this" count out elimination instead of Rick Martel.

Edited by Shartnado
More logical long term booking suggestion...
  • Like 1

On 7/15/2021 at 5:44 PM, Infinit said:

Afi's MSG debut where he was announced as SUPERFLY (pop and dramatic pause from The Fink) ..... SIVI AFI which caused the crowd to groan audibly was a freaking hilarious moment. I wish it was still online.

And as if the decision to try that wasn't insane enough, they threw him out there in MSG BEFORE he had debuted on TV so the crowd that night literally had no reason at all to expect someone other than Snuka. 

That crowd turning on him before his entrance was finished, and then starting a "We Want Snuka!" chant during the match, and booing him when he climbed to the top rope for the finish...if the dude was a Bret Hart level worker he still would have been burnt toast after that. 

• Haha 3

Super Porky is one of my favorite workers to have ever seen live. The man was in complete control of the audience, using what would have been shtick to lesser workers but he made it into artistry. Charisma off the scale, what a presence and mind, he will be missed greatly.

Related, my pal DSH Esq. sent me a big package of WONs (as is his wont) and while reading the Feb. 1 2021 issue, Mr. M starts off the obit of El Hijo de Anibal with the factoid that 139 pro wrestlers from Mexico had died in the previous nine months (though not all due to COVID). Is the death- and/or infection-rate so much greater there than in the USA? What percentage of the total population of luchadores is that, and how does that (infection and death) compare to workers in the US? I am blown away by that number...

- RAF

It’s stunning that he was 58. Those gig scars, the shape he was in, and having all those kids made me think he was in his 70’s. I mostly saw him in his comedic faze with CMLL, but he was a key in bridging the Coliseo footage to the Arena Mexico matches in my mind. Maybe even showing up on Momentos Estrellas to see one of his cancelled topes, into a running apron dives.

RIP

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs

Porky might be the best "fat guy" worker ever, and think of how much ground that covers. He was a truly spectacular athlete in his prime, even with all the extra poundage. Dives, leapfrogs, spin kicks... he could wrestle, fly and brawl with the best of them, and of course his charisma was off the charts. A real five-tool performer. QEPD.

• Like 1

Distance makes this one easier, to be honest. If it had happened around ten years ago (and it certainly seemed like it was possible at any point in the last ten years), when he was a regular figure and about to roll into the Rey Escorpion feud, for instance, it would have been crushing. Now, especially after the year we had, it's just sad. This was one that I was ready for at any moment, sort of. There are a few wrestlers like that. Matt Borne was like that. I'm ready for the Warlord to go at any moment, really. I've got nothing more to add. He was amazing and it's very likely there's still a lot of new footage of him pre-2000 to pop up and amaze us so in one sense, he'll continue to be amazing for decades to come.