DVDVR Message Board

2021 Wrestling RIP Thread

RIPPA

46 minutes ago, Tromatagon said:

This one fucks up my shit man.

Same here. It's not like he was one of my favorite wrestlers or anything but I actually got to meet him. ECW used to run the War Memorial in Ft. Lauderdale a ton when I was in college. I remember going to a show in 98 or 99 and after his match, he was just hanging out by the bleachers drinking a beer and watching the other matches. My buddy and I used our fake Ids to buy some beer and got him one too. We sat there drinking a beer with him during a match and just shooting the shit for a few minutes. We didn't want to hog his time because we could see he was kind of relaxing so we gave him his beer, talked for like 5 minutes and left but he was really cordial and nice to us. I remember my buddy was wearing a really cheesy Shawn Michaels shirt from like 1995 or 96 and New Jack jokingly said something like, "I should stab you for wearing that shit up in here but you got the balls to wear it. Let's get that pic together." I'm sure he wasn't the greatest guy in the world all the time and has done some bad shit but I'll always have that good memory of him.

• Like 11
  • Haha 3

My New Jack memory circa 2003 in the VHS tape trading days...he wanted his TNA footage from when he had a short program with Shark Boy and doing that Hard 10 Tourney with Sandman. He said we could trade footage. I knew he was lying, sent it anyways, and lo and behold he never sent his. OGs don’t trade...they take. Alas.

Edited by The Great ML
  • Like 5
  • Haha 8

I love New Jack despite his flaws. What an incredible talent. Loved watching him beat dudes up with shit and jump off tall places, but it was the promos I'll remember the most. So many classics and he could do the over the top race baiting and the gangsta stuff, but the best were the serious promos. Any which way he could and did. RIP to the realest. I've spent the last half hour scrolling twitter drinking in all the memories (and thanks to those that have added theirs here!) and shooting the shit with my friends about how legendary this dude forever will be.

Here's hoping he went out at least partially like he said he wanted to.

• Like 3

I think the Keep Up The Good Work, OJ promo was the first time I ever marked for a heel promo.  The Gangstas couldn't work for shit, but they were carny as fuck and I loved them.

RIP, New Jack.

• Like 4

It's actually hitting me that my very first memory of seeing ECW on TV as a kid was him jumping off the balcony at the Madhouse in Queens in probably '97 or '98. In all earnestness, because people say this a lot in a non-literal sense, I truly was immediately hooked on their show because of it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Great ML said:

My New Jack memory circa 2003 in the VHS tape trading days...he wanted his TNA footage from when he had a short program with Shark Boy and doing that Hard 10 Tourney with Sandman. He said we could trade footage. I knew he was lying, sent it anyways, and lo and behold he never sent his. OGs don’t trade...they take. Alas.

My God, they still have the Hulk Hands promo up!

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 6

I'm listening to his interview on VladTV and I thought it was cool that he was one of the first Wrestlers to get on his platform. The interview wasn't good as it could have been because New Jack wasn't his normal self which is interesting because Hannibal said the same thing when he reported about him passing Mentioning his interview which was 2 week prior to Vlads interview.  His interviews are dull when he’s not familiar with the guests but Vlad did good research I'll say that and he seems like he was probably a fan of Wrestling to some level growing up or maybe during the Attitude era or something. I just thought it was cool he got to be on a platform to tell his story to am audience that's not specifically a wrestling audience.  I wish he got to be on his platform 5 to 10 years ago when he was alot more enthusiastic. It's cool that it didn't take long to get someone with no love or affiliation with WWE.

As Corny once put it "I don't believe this, but I believe this guy". New jack was one of those guys who made you think "shit, maybe this is real" when they talked and got down to business. He was a true original.

• Like 2

Was telling my brother that he died, and about the Grimes incident and it occurred to me as I was telling him that he had 3-4 incidents (at least!) where he legitimately tried to kill someone in the ring because of some perceived slight (Grimes, Mass Transit, Gypsy Joe and that one indy guy who Jack got to drop the assault charges against him in exchange for agreeing to do a tour against him which he never bothered to do as soon as he got out of the state).

Right or wrong, or probably a little of both, given the rise of the internet and social media and the state of wrestling today, there will never be anyone quite like New Jack again.  RIP

I get a kick out of how Gertner tells Awesome "Good luck, you're gonna need it" then gets the hell out of dodge.

Also that pop for New Jack. I forgot how over he was in ECW

• Like 5

He's probably one of those people in the business that alot of people either stole or as they say "swagger jacked" things from or just inspired by on the major companies but won't get the credit from because A his reputation and B he never actually got to work in a major promotion. I'm unapologetically Kevin Nash mark, and I know he's reputation for holding guys back when he was booking but I can believe New Jack's story of Nash blocking him from coming in to WCW during the No Limit thing. In the mid 90s you had a ton of Caucasian wrestlers getting over being inspired by Hip Hop and the Urban Culture, 123 Kid , Road Dogg , Even Rey Mysterio later in his WCW run and even Nash himself and you have this New Jack guy thats the real deal, on top that he had street credibility too. Most importantly he was gold on the mic, He was the real deal. Nash is a smart guy and he comes from an era where the guys in the major promotions brush off ECW and dismiss guys that came up from ECW like his boys did Shane Douglas so it's easy to just pretend like he didn't know about New Jack when you had one or 2 guys in the office that either worked for ECW and the other guy allegedly a mole for ECW. It's easy to say that he can't work even though Chris Hamrick and Ricky Morton says he can work and also they hired Sandman around that time so.

• Like 2