DVDVR Message Board

2021 Wrestling RIP Thread

RIPPA

Meltz:

Royce Carney, who was best known as The Bug and Mr. J.R., passed away on 3/30 due to complications for diabetes at the age of 67. Carney had told friends last week that he wasn’t feeling well because his blood sugar had gotten so high that he was having trouble seeing and speaking. Mr. J.R. was brought in as a heel manager by Ole Anderson in Georgia Championship Wrestling in 1984, with the initials being a takeoff on J.R. Ewing. He managed Ivan Koloff, Scott Irwin and Kareem Muhammad. He worked at the Detroit Metro Airport and did indies in Michigan as late as 2019. He was trained by Malcolm Monroe Sr., and worked in the 80s and the 90s for Monroe’s promotions like Midwest Championship Wrestling and Insane Championship Wrestling and other Michigan independents and also managed The Sheik late in Sheik’s career

On 3/21/2021 at 6:49 PM, odessasteps said:

(Not even a new page) ?

Ha!  I think I was having internet issues that evening and the board refused to reload when I refreshed my browser.  When I posted my vid, it looked like I was the first post behind the obituary.  

Sorry, Matt..

• Like 1

Love the story of Flair taking Piper over there as his bodyguard and Piper getting paid with a spittoon full of cocaine. Flair said Piper was complaining about Flair getting paid in actual money while "shoveling that shit up his nose" (Flair's words). 

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Love the story of Flair taking Piper over there as his bodyguard and Piper getting paid with a spittoon full of cocaine. Flair said Piper was complaining about Flair getting paid in actual money while "shoveling that shit up his nose" (Flair's words). 

It was one of those matches that Piper almost got shot by soldiers right? Its been a while since I read Ric's book . . . . 

• 2 weeks later...

In absolutely horrific news, WWEPC employee Cornell Gunter announced the death of his infant son yesterday night.

TW: Child death due to negligence. 

Spoiler

Apparently the story is the doctors and nurses did not believe his child was in distress which led to him being born without a heartbeat and giving him brain damage that led to his death.

And it only gets worse from there...

Thread:

• Sad 6

On 4/13/2021 at 10:50 AM, RIPPA said:

I met her a couple times and even interviewed her for a news story I did on Mitch Ryder's XCW Midwest promotion.  She was a great old-school fan, getting into it with heels and cheering the babyfaces.  

1 hour ago, Log said:

I met her a couple times and even interviewed her for a news story I did on Mitch Ryder's XCW Midwest promotion.  She was a great old-school fan, getting into it with heels and cheering the babyfaces.  

A staple of any older IWA_MS show.  I am an idiot though and always assumed she was Ian's wife for some reason.  I remember her and pipe guy (is he alive still)  being at all the older 2001-2005 era shows. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From the new WON

Miguel Coronio, 65, who wrestled under the name Taras Bulba in the famed Titanes en el Ring promotion in Argentina, passed away on 5/5. Another Argentina-based wrestler, Joe Alamo, passed away the same day from COVID-19

• Sad 1