DVDVR Message Board

2021 Wrestling RIP Thread

RIPPA

The first NWA show I ever saw was Starcade 89 ten years later. I'm not even sure if I  knew it was he and Farooq at the time I watched it. That show was worlds apart from WWF. When I got to go back and watch mid 80s WWF TV,  Superstars and Challenge I really enjoyed watching his squash matches where he'd press the guy over his head without any support. I wish he did get that IC title run so he could've gotten more memorable programs on top of having the honor of being WWFs first black singles champ alot soon that it happened. When I got the WWE network one of the first things I did was go back and watch the early WCW PPVs and see Doom just punish everyone.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zimbra said:

That's pretty damn cool

Here's the extended version of that Tweet/story:

So this is the Will Hobbs/Butch Reed story. Reed's family reached out to Hobbs this week and said that Bruce loved Will Hobbs. He'd watch him and say "There's the new Hacksaw."  He and his family identified him as Hacksaw, never The Natural. They told him Bruce wanted to reach out to him and tell him how much he liked watching him but he was too sick to do so. The other part of the story is that Tony Khan was a huge fan of Reed and not knowing any of this would talk to Hobbs about Butch Reed and tell him about his favorite segments on Mid South before either of them knew Reed was a fan of Hobbs.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Stay tuned for one of the best foreign objects of all time.

Reed and Neidhart - the happiest tag team ever? The Chuckle Express! RAF loves a laughing heel. And Duggan/Rhodes -  Team SadPads. Buy some new elbow and knee protection, lads. That was a totally relevant foreign object AND the most unique. Is that you, Bill Watts?

- RAF

p.s. - RIP Hacksaw Butch Reed, you had two times as many abs as the rest of the wrestlers in that ring.

Dave Meltzer:

A few notes on the death of Butch Reed earlier today. Reed was a rare combination of power and agility in his prime years like few in wrestling. His peak was 1982 to 1985 when he was one of the best guys in the business, both as a face and a heel. I don't have a lot of personal notes on him, but I was at a party in Japan in 1993 or 1994 when somehow Reed challenged Scott Norton to an arm wrestling match. If you don't know about Scott Norton and arm wrestling, that's like trying to pick a fight with Francis Ngannou. But Reed did challenge him even if we all knew how it was going to end up.  He was very vociferous about it. Jim Hard I think was on the trip and kept telling me how excited he was about the idea of the match with Bam Bam Bigelow & Big Van Vader vs. Doom (Reed & Ron Simmons).  

The April 7, 1982, match with Ric Flair vs. Butch Reed for the NWA title at the Miami Beach Convention Center (there were no cameras) that Flair won in 42 minutes was the best match I had ever seen live, and for that matter ever seen period, up to that point in time. Maybe the best live match I saw until Flair-Steamboat in Chicago in 1989.

So this is the Will Hobbs/Butch Reed story. Reed's family reached out to Hobbs this week and said that Bruce loved Will Hobbs. He'd watch him and say "There's the new Hacksaw."  He and his family identified him as Hacksaw, never The Natural. They told him Bruce wanted to reach out to him and tell him how much he liked watching him but he was too sick to do so. The other part of the story is that Tony Khan was a huge fan of Reed and not knowing any of this would talk to Hobbs about Butch Reed and tell him about his favorite segments on Mid South before either of them knew Reed was a fan of Hobbs.

7 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Damn I really want Teddy Long's t-shirt.

I saw that shirt for sale at ONE show at the Richmond Coliseum, but I was too young and poor to afford it.  Man, it was so great.

• Like 3

My grandma and I were marks for the team of DOOM, watching SN together when I was a little kid, so this one hits different for me.

Also, I am definitely copping that shirt. Found a replica at a site online, but I don't know much about this site or how good the print is: https://www.shirtgunwedding.com/product/doom-tag-team-shirt

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My first memories of Butch Reed come from renting all the Crockett/WCW VHS from the hybrid Chinese restaurant/video store across the street. Right after that it was Green Board-era recs from all the oldheads that wouldn't shut up about Mid South. I always held the man in high esteem, and why the hell wouldn't I? I sympathized with him for whatever reason. He was a realistic heel, one that used his well-earned confidence as his foundation to be the best at any cost. Above and beyond as an athlete, a firery and logical speaker, the kind of guy you'd want on any roster. And if you're a consistent standout performer on 1984 Mid South TV, that's no small accomplishment. RIP to the One True Hacksaw, you kicked ass.

Edited by John E. Dynamite

Jeff Bowdren just reported that Southern independent and WWE enhancement worker Rusty Brooks passed away today at 63. Probably most famous for his match (such as it was) with Hulk Hogan as part of Randy Savage's big starting push. RIP.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3