DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 1/20/2021

Dolfan in NYC

Lovable weirdos is the best presentation of Dark Order, the aborted He Said Yes celebration was legit funny. I wonder whether they retain some heel elements though, seems like too big a stable for faces. I’m also not sure I’d have Page join, although should definitely have their back at some point, feels like too much of a drop down for him.

Cody’s cutter looked shit, thought he covered well for the (presumed) leap frog botch though.

Top Flight need to work on some of their double teams, they’ve either botched or done some overly convoluted stuff in most of their matches I’ve seen.

Was most impressed by Comorato’s bumping with the Hart chest bump off the corner charge and the tree fall sell for the finish. Like that they gave a reason for him being in the match.

I thought the Kenny’s house segment was quite well done, although Matt is a dreadful actor, which stands out more as Nick comes across quite natural. The off-camera black eye leaves a few options open, I’m still wondering whether it could be an elaborate setup with the Bucks in on it. What was with Callis getting rid of the cameraman but the camera staying there, were we supposed to think the cameraman just left his camera?

1 hour ago, Kev said:

Ah and is it just me or does Hook really look like Starks?

Hook wearing the fanny pack over his shoulder("it's not a purse.. it's European!") makes him 200x more punchable than his normal punchableness.

• Like 1

This is the first time that Cody’s storyline hasn’t clicked with me.  The last dvds I bought from American promotions were pwg & Evolve from 2015-2016.  That was the start of Cody’s Indyriffic Slummin’ It Phase.  I thought he was quite good at that stage.  I also recently picked up the five shows that AEW sells and was really impressed with all of Cody’s matches in the first five ppvs. 

This week his feud(s) just felt so flat.  I haven’t posted much at all the last few years here but I have been reading the AeW threads as I play catch-up.  Before this week I thought Cody played a great heart-of-AEW role that his programs all seemed to position him as such.  Unfortunately for him the real heart of AEW is Darby...or maybe OC?

The thing that doesn’t work for for the role is when people like Triple  H or Jeff Jarrett really shoehorn all of their favourite gimmicks into every single match.    It also helps to watch BTE and those Dark episodes that he hosted.  The storyline with MJF is really built there.  

Cody does seem to be in a weird place at the moment. The Sting story has hinted at the notion that Cody is being replaced, but it's bigger than that. The Young Bucks are still fairly central to BTE and have the tag belts, Omega is back to being the guy, Hangman has a long arc but he's on that arc and is obviously going to continue to be one of the most over guys. Then yeah you have OC who is now a main-event guy. And Cody....is a guy who can't go for the big one, has already had his run with the TNT Title, and is left feuding with a woman whilst leading a pretty crappy (sorry Dustin) Nightmare Family stable.....I mean he said he was going to challenge MJF to get his win back, and what happened to that exactly?

I guess none of it matters that much. I'd probably have him feud with The Acclaimed. Having Max Caster hide behind Jade Cargill is exactly what we need. And him cutting promos on The Nightmare Family's general crumminess would be good too.

Edited by RunningFromAmerica

1 hour ago, RunningFromAmerica said:

I guess none of it matters that much. I'd probably have him feud with The Acclaimed. Having Max Caster hide behind Jade Cargill is exactly what we need. And him cutting promos on The Nightmare Family's general crumminess would be good too.

Put Starks in there too as a '98 style Rock coming out of his Nation phase (see: Team Taz) & you've got a hyper young, hyper glamorous, fresh-take faction who can be in the serious + comedy spots.

3 hours ago, RunningFromAmerica said:

Cody does seem to be in a weird place at the moment. The Sting story has hinted at the notion that Cody is being replaced, but it's bigger than that. The Young Bucks are still fairly central to BTE and have the tag belts, Omega is back to being the guy, Hangman has a long arc but he's on that arc and is obviously going to continue to be one of the most over guys. Then yeah you have OC who is now a main-event guy. And Cody....is a guy who can't go for the big one, has already had his run with the TNT Title, and is left feuding with a woman whilst leading a pretty crappy (sorry Dustin) Nightmare Family stable.....I mean he said he was going to challenge MJF to get his win back, and what happened to that exactly?

Cody's spot is "guy who gets to be in all the celebrity angles (Snoop, Shaq, Dollar Store AGT) so he can get on mainstream TV and try to get some ROI for those acting classes Dusty paid for."  ? 

• Haha 1

You know, it's one thing to talk about how great it is what AEW is doing for his family.  But that post from his wife pretty much says it all.  I'm just really glad to have the tribute shirt knowing it went to them.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

You know, it's one thing to talk about how great it is what AEW is doing for his family.  But that post from his wife pretty much says it all.  I'm just really glad to have the tribute shirt knowing it went to them.

That Mr Brodie Lee tribute shirt plus reading that all Dark Order merchandise proceeds this month will go towards the Huber family. That was said somewhere in the tribute thread. Class act, AEW.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I'm still waiting for my tribute shirt to come in the mail.

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I'm still waiting for my tribute shirt to come in the mail.

I just got mine on Monday or Tuesday, I forget, and I ordered mine when I could get back onto PWT once the tribute episode ended. They have a ton of orders and all of their shirts are pressed upon order. I would think you should get yours soon.

• Like 2