DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 1/20/2021

Dolfan in NYC

Great main. Sad as it is to say it as an enormous Jericho fan over the years, he's the one who least deserves that main event spotlight. He's in absolutely ruinous condition. Guevara on the other hand looking like an absolute stud; Darby can be fun but of the two Sammy has a far higher ceiling. Stronger, explosive. JR's praise on the swanton was the most authentic he's sounded in years. Propel him into some sort of title programme please once this lame "Team Taz' stuff is finally finished. Everyone played their roles well in this one .. except Jericho. If he's going to be in a sorry-sack condition he at least needs to definitively be face.

Miro is quality.

Edited by A_K
  • Like 2

I don't think Hangman should join the Dark Order, I think it would be a much more satisfying if they just told him they have his back and they're his friends no matter what. They're obviously moving away from the whole cult thing and there's no reason Page needs to join to be an ally. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fighting a man with a perm said:

Still sad after the opening segment. Dark Order need to give the Hangman some "chicken soup for the soul" or something to let him know he's still worthy of love. Really glad they went with sad Dark Order rather than going for a beat down or something for saying no. Page really conveys the self doubt so well, it's not the most serious storyline but the boy has some acting skills. 

Me, too!

Definitely one of the big reasons that I am a huge fan of AEW right now is that they don't have a narcissistic wannabe fascist fake billionaire manchild (hat tip to @christopher.anninoand @AxB) coming in at the last minute, tearing up the script, and turning the nice, sad moment into a violent beat-down.

It's nice that AEW have many colours on their palette and don't over-rely on "GWARGH!! I am such a raging bad-ass!!"

That whole bit really worked for me. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

I don't think Hangman should join the Dark Order, I think it would be a much more satisfying if they just told him they have his back and they're his friends no matter what. They're obviously moving away from the whole cult thing and there's no reason Page needs to join to be an ally. 

I agree with this and actually like what you're puttin' down, but on the other hand - the Dark Order kind of needs a "leader". As much as Hangman needs friends, that group of misfits needs someone to follow and steer them in the right (face)/wrong (heel) direction. Otherwise they're kind of just a bunch of lower card guys just aimlessly moving about, and (no offense to Brodie Jr) being led by a 9 year old.

I'm honestly wondering if Amanda Huber is going to get involved with wrestling again at some point in the future.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Rev Ray said:

Comorotto looks like long hair era Hercules hernandez 

They compared him to Bruiser Brody, but I was surprised JR didn't work in a Dr. Death mention. That's who he reminded me of...in look anyway. If he's training with Dustin at his school, they might have something with that guy in the future.

I watched the show earlier since I missed it last night. Just didn't feel like watching it. I thought to be honest it was a rather okay show. Nothing great. Nothing really bad either. Hangman is going to end up realizing he is loved and he will accept The Dark Order into his heart. Honestly if anyone should be TNT champion it should be Hangman right now.

Sting/Darby continue to be an odd pairing. Darby does look like any kid who was a Lil Stinger in the early 90's. Give me more Darby vs. Starks. If they do this street fight, they need someone to team up with Sting/Darby so it's at least even. Taz vs. Sting in 2021 is such a bizzaro world feud.

Cody vs. Peter was a fun match. They should have saved Jade doing the interruption to the end so Peter could steal a win. He needed a win to gloat about more than Cody just getting another notch on his record. Hopefully next week this Shaq/Cody thing starts to make some sense.

Moxley vs. Comorotto was my match of the night. I was expecting a quick Mox squash and was pleasantly surprised when it turned into a fun match. They have something with Comorotto. Like a year and a half or so of molding and he could be something. If he's gonna be Bruiser Brody he needs the furry boots though. But as I said I see more Doc Williams, so he needs the boots with the skull and cross bones.

Obnoxious superstar Kenny Omega is something else. I loved him beating Penta with what I assume were Ostridge skin boots. Don Callis is so swarmy it's amazing. 

Ford vs. Hirsch was a fun match. Hirsch is another who could be a star for them. That spring board plancha she did made me jump up. Hopefully she'll get to shine in this women's title challenger tournament they are gonna do.

The three way was a pretty good main event. I loved that they got Sammy Hagar to endorse Sammy/Hager. But I figured they would go to a time limit draw and it almost did. Sammy vs. MJF is going to be the feud of 2021. It's a shame Santana and Ortiz are the fifth wheels in this group. I would love to see them break off while still being associated with the circle. It's honestly what would be best.

Overall an okay show. 

For a split second, seeing the far-away shot, I thought Mox's opponent was Chase Holliday and I got very excited to see the Midwest Territory gold chain being defended on TNT.  Up next, Cody vs Hoodfoot promo battle when Mo calls Cody a motherfucker 3-4 times.

Fun, crazy multiman matches is firmly AEW's thing and you love it.

So what do Santana and Ortiz do now that apparently MJF and Jericho are the official Inner Circle tag team?  Speaking of the Inner Circle, it sure does look like this match is another step in their disintegration/reformation under MJF.  It sure wasn't just a friendly sparring match to blow off steam.

Hangman's story going on with him being gunshy on friendship is pretty great.

One little thing AEW does well: have an excuse for why the camera is someplace as opposed to doing the invisible camera deal.  Even if it means Marvez and a cameraman just showing up someplace, complete with the Bucks goofing on the whole situation, it's still better.

Jericho's hair weave padded his skull and saved him from certain death.

LOL "Charles Taylor"

"My birthday was 3 days ago you idiots!"  That segment did my heart good.

• Like 5

There was something about a crowd singing "Happy Birthday" to a boy who just lost his dad that made me tear up there for a sec.  Maybe I'm becoming more of a softy as I get older.  But really sweet moment there before the shenanigans kicked in.  And at first I figured Hangman would join at some point but after reading posts above I'd be okay with Page flying solo but having friends in dark places.

I also wanted to point out how horrible theme mashups tend to be and WWE's had quite the lazy ones through the years.  But I didn't know I needed a mashup of MFJ and Jericho's theme until last night.  That actually sounded pretty darn good.  And Sammy Hagar endorsing Sammy/Haggar was the best (even though DLR is the much better frontman of the band but that's neither here nor there)

• Like 6

About the Nick Comoroto talk, I was looking through his Cagematch last night during the Moxley match to see if he'd ever done anything neat on the indies.

I have zero idea if this is good, because I haven't had time to actually watch it, but here's Nick Comoroto, KTB, and Fallah Bahh vs. Abyss, Matt Riddle, and Punishment Martinez in a Monsters' Ball match.  It, y'know, sort of sounds like it might be good.

• Like 3

Really hope they do the right thing & Miro goes definitively over - whatever the ending for this angle is. His portrayal of polite-mannered, nouveau riche  Eastern European gangster-come-prison yard bully is absolute money. Send him to the top of the card on that portrayal. Reminds me of Fernando Vera w/ that hair & hulking menace.

Edited by A_K
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, A_K said:

Really hope they do the right thing & Miro goes definitively over - whatever the ending for this angle is. His portrayal of polite-mannered, nouveau riche  Eastern European gangster-come-prison yard bully is absolute money. Send him to the top of the card on that portrayal. Reminds me of Fernando Vera w/ that hair & hulking menace.

It's gonna be great when they strike the right tone of comedy and threat. Like the Russian mob heels on Delocated or Barry or something. I loved the Charles Taylor stuff last night

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I kind of like the idea that Peter Avalon would rather tap out then get slapped in the face but it sort of devalues the figure four as a finish as they've promoted it for Cody. Poor JR is putting it over on commentary only to have Avalon virtually no sell it.

Comoroto's a keeper and I would repackage him like they did with Hobbs. He's got presence but is raw as hell. He could probably use a different name. He's got good backbreakers and a nice Irish whip. His punches and elbows need work.

I like the Private Party match. It was important to show why working with/for Matt is beneficial and I like using Marq's shooting star press as the finish despite hitting his legs on the way down. The post match beat down was maybe a touch too much? They could have saved that for a later confrontation the following week to cement the heel turn and maybe get some more sympathy on Top Flight.

Hager looked much better this week than against Wardlow. Much better off working big man against midsized guys than trying to go evens with another big.

Hirsh was probably hurt more by Miro telling her to get out than by anything Ford did to her. Please let Charles grow a pencil thin mustache. You know there will be a pay off where The Butler did it.

Edited by Goodear
  • Like 1

Man, Mox is just a star in a way that so many guys are not. He looks like he's having a blast and if anything AEW has done a good job NOT overexposing him. I'm really interested to see what his next big program after Omega is because there's a lot of fun stuff they can do. 

I will also brook no Team Taz slander. 

Edit: quick note on Jericho. I've kinda been afraid he's going to eventually botch the Lionsault and break his neck like Hayabusa but I do think last night was more of a rope issue. He didn't even jump and tried to kick himself off the ropes. Curious to see moving forward if it happens again tho. 

Edited by Hagan
  • Like 4

I agree on Avalon’s terrible sell of the figure 4.  He also was adjusting his knee pad and hence not selling a clothesline earlier. I wanna like him but that was weak.  

The intro angle here of Jade Cargill is spot on wrestlecrap.  

I absolutely loved seeing Silver/Reynolds finally get a win with that excellent combo series.  As Silver continues to shine, Reynolds continues to plug away in the shadows.  I suspect as they move up the card towards tag gold we’re going to get some blowaway matches.  The Page storyline is moving along nicely.

Penelope Ford seems to have cut some weight - wouldn’t have thought there was any to really cut.  She also had good positioning in that match.  I’m seeing improvements and that’s great to see.  She’s obviously got a shining star look - hopefully she can begin to really put things together.

Nick Comoroto is definitely one to watch out for.  Fun bout.  Mox’s Promo was really solid.  

That Double botch by the top flighter was real bad.  The Privates going heel is very welcomed.

i appreciate AEW going to lengths not to have invisible cameras, but the Bucks-Callis and then Kenny-Callis bits were fuckin goofy.  BTEsque.  But no issue with the homoerotic oil painting.  

Sammy was on fire in that main.  Hager looked good too.  LAX need to make a move away from the Inner Circle and get some semblance of direction.  They’ve been wasted for too long.  This Jericho-MJF team and feud doesn’t interest me.  Wish it did. Jericho really oughta pick his spots getting involved in ring and sit at the commentators table more regularly.

Really looking forward to that Six man tag at the beach.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Goodear said:

Hager looked much better this week than against Wardlow. Much better off working big man against midsized guys than trying to go evens with another big.

While I agree he looked better this week in the spots they gave him, I'm not sure he's absolutely better off not working with big guys. Consider how well received his matches versus Miro were for example. 

He's a guy who's good up to a certain point but has been in the game long enough that I don't see room for him to break through to another level. He certainly wasn't equipped for the task he was given with Wardlow. I'd be interested to see what some higher-end workers in AEW could get out of him, akin to Christian and Finlay back in the day. 

Edited by Andy in Kansas

The Private Party turn is a good move, they've been treading water lately and this will give them a new direction. I've been pleasantly surprised in the past when people I thought would be lifelong babyfaces having incredible heel runs. There's a lot more for PP to do now, I hope they grow into the roles well and Hardy as the carny manager is perfect.

I appreciate that they make the tongue in cheek efforts to explain Marvez being around all the time. It reminds me of the Star Trek TNG movies that would have to invent excuses for Worf to be back on the Enterprise and in the last one they just panned away when he started to explain.

I don't want to get into it all again but the difference between Cody and Moxley's matches illustrated my point from last week's thread pretty well.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

It's gonna be great when they strike the right tone of comedy and threat. Like the Russian mob heels on Delocated or Barry or something. I loved the Charles Taylor stuff last night

Yup. For me, that is pro wrestling-comedy done right in a way that can have mass pop culture appeal. Dark humour (Taylor's twitching desperate smiles at the end of the segment was superb) w/ a modern twist and really cool characterisation on both sides of the coin. We feel for the plight of the loveable Face who is physically outmatched & backed into a corner; we can't help but be enthralled by the charismatic, hulking heel who we want to eventually see wrecked. Great wardrobe choices for all too. One of the best, most nuanced segments they've done; great work from all involved. Give me that over 10 formless characters running around a set shouting at each other & 'being funny' or bawling utterly inane cliches about 'street fighting' in one-pitched raised tones any day.

If Miro is writing that himself, please pay him whatever he wants to re-write this awful Team Taz dirge and get this blatant nepotism with the Mute Hook off the screen.

Edited by A_K
  • Like 1