DVDVR Message Board

UFC 257: Poirier vs. McGregor II (1/23/2021) - Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates (UFC Fight Island - Etihad Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

3 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

That's the type of fight Chandler always wins.

At this level, it's a fight everyone wins.  If you don't present any danger to your opponent, there isn't a top 10 fighter in any division that doesn't wipe the floor with you.  

• Like 1

YEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! THAT WAS INCREDIBLE! He survived with enough and the leg and the punch to the face x25. That one that sat Conor down was so good because Conor leaned into it. 

edit: retirement #4 coming up?

Edited by Jiji

Poirier, when he's on, can beat anyone in the world with the exception of Khabib.  He's legitimately one of the best, most well-rounded fighters in the world at any weight.  I'd like to see the rubber match in a couple years, but this doesn't surprise me.

2 minutes ago, Jiji said:

YEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! THAT WAS INCREDIBLE! He survived with enough and the leg and the punch to the face x25. That one that sat Conor down was so good because Conor leaned into it. 

edit: retirement #4 coming up?

I don't know if anyone caught it, but Dustin basically spun/turned Conor off the cage boxing style and there was no room for Conor to navigate. 

I think early in round 2 I noticed Conor's right leg/calf was bright, bright red. I thought then that if Conor didn't KO Poirier very soon then he wouldn't be standing.

And then Conor went to move and it was like his feet were frozen. After that Poirier lit him up. Nice fight.

Just now, Elsalvajeloco said:

I don't know if anyone caught it, but Dustin basically spun Conor off the cage boxing style and there was no room for Conor to navigate. 

That is the key to beating Conor, you can't let him dictate the distance where the fight takes place.  You have to get in his face, and make him defend in the pocket.  He has a really good chin, but he gets stunned fairly often.  If you are willing to stand in the pocket and exchange with him, he's there to be hit.  His defense is almost entirely based on distance management, so if you can disrupt that you have a chance.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Poirier vs. Chandler for the Interim UFC Lightweight Championship while we wait to hear about Khabib? Poirier vs. Oliveira?

Poirier vs.. Chandler is probably the fight to make, and I'll give them my money right here right now.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I think early in round 2 I noticed Conor's right leg/calf was bright, bright red. I thought then that if Conor didn't KO Poirier very soon then he wouldn't be standing.

And then Conor went to move and it was like his feet were frozen. After that Poirier lit him up. Nice fight.

I was concerned about Dustin throwing those kicks and getting caught. He got caught a few times, but the kicks he threw with authority are the ones that did the damage. He landed one on McGregor I believe towards the end of round 1 and made Conor kinda pause. Then, Conor at the beginning of round two started leaning into his punches like he was bending over to pick something up off the floor. Then, he started missing with punches. That's when Dustin turned him off the cage and Conor never landed another punch.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Poirier vs.. Chandler is probably the fight to make, and I'll give them my money right here right now.

I'm with you, @supremebve. You have to have Poirier in there as nobody's done that to McGregor, first man to stop Conor with strikes and Chandler getting rid of Hooker so quickly. That's only Hooker's second loss by KO/TKO. Hell of a debut.

Edited by The Natural

2 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Poirier vs. Do Bronx for the UFC title and Gaethje vs. Chandler are the fights to make. Do Bronx has like a bajillion wins. He's fighting for the title at some point.

• Like 1

Most men, if they're in shape to compete in a cardio-heavy sport and cut weight like a wrestler, are going to come in at 145, 155 or 170 lbs. Add that to the fact that so many high-level American athletes over a certain height or weight end up with football scholarships and yeah, it isn't a question. Those three divisions will always have your TRUE World Champions. Which is why having 165 and 175 divisions makes all the sense in the world and lets you create more superstar champions out of the densest concentrations of talent, but I digress.

I don't know what makes an "elite" MMA fighter and I don't want to sort out the roster than way. But I'm almost certain "elite" takes place microscopically north of where Conor is these days. And I haven't the foggiest what he can do to get back there again if he can only realistically compete in those three divisions.

Edited by John E. Dynamite