DVDVR Message Board

UFC 257: Poirier vs. McGregor II (1/23/2021) - Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates (UFC Fight Island - Etihad Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

7 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I'm also looking forward to Amanda Ribas vs. Marina Rodriguez. Ribas has the potential to be their poster girl star and has tons of charisma. Marina Rodriguez is a real fighter though and has kinda flown under the radar.

?

1 minute ago, Jiji said:

How can like 1/3rd of Calderwood's strikes look so bad and the rest look so good?

Maybe it's her striking background, but she doesn't throw a whole lot of stuff with a ton of force behind it.

1 minute ago, Jiji said:

How can like 1/3rd of Calderwood's strikes look so bad and the rest look so good?

That's the strategy. Lull them into a false sense of security  and then front kick to the face.

9 minutes ago, Jiji said:

I can't tell if it's a lack of athleticism or if she's maximizing what she's got or both? Strange fighter I've never been able to really figure out why she is the way she is.

It could be a lack of some athleticism, but she's so focused on piling up points. Hell, in the very same division, you have Katlyn Chookagian who is basically the same way. Against a Valentina, we're already seen with Chookagian, that's not gonna work at all. 

2 minutes ago, Jiji said:

I feel like Chookagian is so averse to getting hit, she intentionally throws out of range just to make it look like she's active. I have no time for that shit tbh.

She still wins fights though. A win for Joanne counts the same as one for Chookagian and vice versa. My big issue is women like Eye, Calderwood, Chookagian, etc. made subtle improvements when they came to flyweight, but that's not enough to put you over the top with someone as stellar as a Valentina Shevchenko. They're basically just in autopilot and if they get a finish, that's fine too. Why move weight classes and play it safe? I think that's why Jennifer Maia upset Calderwood. She might not be a better fighter than Joanne, but she went for it and got a big win. To me, it just seems like it's Valentina and bunch of women who refuse to get out of first gear at 125.

• Like 1

I have never been the biggest Bellator fan, but I have no idea why Hooker was the favorite in this fight even if it's was a slight one. I thought that was disrespectful to Chandler who has been a stalwart for a long, long time.

That the Chandler wipeout I was expecting, looking as motivated as he could possibly be

And if Daniel Cormier ever sucks the air out of your promo like that you better tape a picture of Jon Jones to a brick and throw it at his head.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jiji said:

I think it's Hooker's recent success against fighters kinda like Chandler. 

I think Hooker is a pretty good fighter, but I don't think there was a fight he had in Bellator where I was like, "no, Michael Chandler can't win this fight." And he was there for a long ass time against some good fighters. They weren't tippity top UFC caliber guys, but Hooker hadn't been at this level for half as long. IMO I think they were kinda thinking Chandler's best days are behind him: too many fights, too many wars. IMO even going into this fight, I felt he could have as good a UFC run as Gaethje and RDA had when he was at 155 as well as when Eddie Alvarez went on that little run before running into Conor.

I agree with you, but maybe not as vociferously because Bellator's division hasn't been exactly stacked with talent (full of little guys too) and yeah I think some detractors feel like he's on the way down or just about. I would love to watch him fight Gaethje.

• Like 1

I don't know what Hooker was waiting on, but he legit didn't make Chandler feel any type of danger that entire fight.  Hooker is a good fighter, who is usually pretty aggressive, but he just circled around until Chandler was able to walk him down and finish him.  It was just weird.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jiji said:

I agree with you, but maybe not as vociferously because Bellator's division hasn't been exactly stacked with talent (full of little guys too) and yeah I think some detractors feel like he's on the way down or just about. I would love to watch him fight Gaethje.

I feel like Gaethje vs. Chandler is the ONLY fight to make.

2 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I don't know what Hooker was waiting on, but he legit didn't make Chandler feel any type of danger that entire fight.  Hooker is a good fighter, who is usually pretty aggressive, but he just circled around until Chandler was able to walk him down and finish him.  It was just weird.

That's the type of fight Chandler always wins.