DVDVR Message Board

Raw is The Hollow Man - 1/18/2021

Dolfan in NYC

You know, if you told me Borash and Jarrett were solely booking Raw I would 1000% believe it. Tons of weird angles that make little sense, performed badly.  AJ Styles being the only bright spot.  Raw has finally completed its transformation into Impact from 5-6 years ago.

• Like 5
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

I'm stunned that they somehow got Krumholtz for that skit.  He's not A-list or anything, but his filmography is rather lengthy.  He doesn't seem to have a hard time finding work

My takeaway from this is the pandemic is harder than I thought for working actors.  Also, I think I like that skit even less knowing that they somehow pulled Krumholtz in.

Now I wish one of the channels on my cable package was showing Numb3rs reruns.  I quite liked that show.

• Thanks 1

Goes without saying but it's beyond stupid WWE breaking up the Hurt Business. One of the few things worth watching in WWE giving every member a much needed direction, a purpose. Stop breaking up tag teams and stables that are worth something, and have something to go for. Dumb fucks.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Eoae said:

I'm stunned that they somehow got Krumholtz for that skit.  He's not A-list or anything, but his filmography is rather lengthy.  He doesn't seem to have a hard time finding work

My takeaway from this is the pandemic is harder than I thought for working actors.  Also, I think I like that skit even less knowing that they somehow pulled Krumholtz in.

Now I wish one of the channels on my cable package was showing Numb3rs reruns.  I quite liked that show.

I think what we might have here is a case of a guy who's a fan and wanted to take part. Just guessing from the tone of his Instagram post: 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKN-_shp6iZ/

I try not to bash Raw or much of WWE especially considering they're killing it on Smackdown and NXT has some good stuff.  But I've always had the belief that while he has his hands in other shows the dumb shit in charge puts most of his focus on Raw.  So it's no surprise to me just how fucking awful Raw has been.  There's still some things that shine through like AJ's slingshot Styles Clash or Hurt Business when they're not on the verge of breaking up.  But on the whole Raw is just so fucking awful though it makes it incredibly easy to skip through all the crap anymore.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Goes without saying but it's beyond stupid WWE breaking up the Hurt Business. One of the few things worth watching in WWE giving every member a much needed direction, a purpose. Stop breaking up tag teams and stables that are worth something, and have something to go for. Dumb fucks.

https://media2.giphy.com/media/ncjiuSmJ9Rvy5mbKma/200.gif

yes, every time it happens to a new team I get salty all over again

especially when it's as egregious a case as The Hurt Business, for all the reasons you just mentioned

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

THE GOOD:

• Randy Orton--He continues to put effort into what is fast becoming a self-lampooning story.
  • AJ vs Ricochet--The slingshot Styles Clash will rightfully be played on loop for the rest of the year.
  • Hurt Business--I hope they're not going with a quick break up with them. There's a ton of mileage with Shelton being annoyed with Cedric, while MVP is the coach/manager who tolerates him as long as Cedric keeps winning.
  • Gillberg--It was good seeing him, especially after his heart attack. Nice for him to get a payday.

THE BAD:

• Charlotte and Lacey--What is Ric's motivation for undermining his daughter? What is Lacey getting out of it? They're seemingly going for the Anna Nicole Smith/J. Howard Marshall angle, except Ric's broke. There needs to be an explanation for Ric's behavior, even if it's just him being forever horny.
  • Ricochet--Are they ever going to give him a redemption arc? He got beat up by Hurt Business. Beat down by Retribution. The match with Styles was really good, but the loss likely means he doesn't get into the Royal Rumble this year.
  • Miz and Morrison--Gillberg's presence aside, Miz TV continues to be rough watching. Credit to M and M, whether by design or not, they knew to pivot as Ass CrackInytre sank like the Titanic.

THE FLAT-OUT AWFUL:

• The entire Fiend/Alexa story. If it were a midcard angle, *maybe* it would be OK. But it's the big story for RAW, and it's wretched. I enjoy creepy, goofy, or just plain wacky. This isn't it. The current execution is atrocious. At least do the Dark Alexa cut BEFORE the commercial break, come on!
  • Bray Wyatt is overexposed AGAIN. Someone has to tell him to scale back a notch or ten. Or go make low-budget horror movies, he'll be rich in a few years doing that. Booking plays a part, but Bray has a strong say in his presentation. So he's gotta carry some of this mud.
  • Alexa continues to act like a child. Yuck!
  • What is Fiend and Alexa's weakness? Even Taker had Paul Bearer and the urn. And Taker was more realistic than this, thinking back. 
  • Asuka isn't on Rollins' level in terms of looking like a goof. She didn't curl into the fetal position while crying. But yikes, they don't ever do anything with her title reigns.
  • This is going to end with Fiend and Alexa as champs, isn't it? Ugh, no one needs that. Bad enough when Bray no sells everything. But at least he's a big guy. Alexa, all 4'11" and 100 pounds, shrugging off anyone's offense? GTFO.
  • I'm all for trying new stuff while no live fans are there. Cinematic matches, 8K cameras, different kinds of promos. Go for it and see what works. But know when something is dying on you and cut your losses. Thing is, they don't have anything else big enough to take over the RAW main event. Even McIntyre-Goldberg feels second-best, though Drew being quarantined is part of why.

I think they're trying with RAW. A few hits and a lot of misses, but there's effort. However, the Fiend is swallowing the show whole. 

Edited by Burgundy LaRue
  • Like 7

Is Alexa Bliss the most over-pushed female worker of all time? Charlotte is up there too, but she atleast can go in the ring. Bliss is objectively bad, especially relative to how many better workers they have under contract. Her entire WWE career feels like she's there because she can do cooky faces and Vince just watched Suicide Squad. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Eoae said:

Yeah I mean wtf...I saw a bit of it and thought it looked like Harvey from The Deuce - it never entered my head that it was actually the guy.

I am ambivalent fair to say.

I'd love if it became part of Miz's gimmick that he uses his Hollywood connections to keep carting out dudes who used to have TV shows for lame segments where he makes a mockery of various people on the roster. Next week, Michael Chiklis is AJ Styles. The following week, Simon Baker is Matt Riddle. All culminating in the big payoff: Dennis Franz as Roman Reigns. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Alexa has her strengths. The word on her when she went to Smackdown in 2016 was if they give her a mic, she'd get herself over. She did that. Promo skills and Becky being out sick for a few weeks allowed Alexa to rise to the top. Plus, she has a look they find attractive in their women. Though that's problematic these days, to say the least.

She's improved in the ring. She'll never be great, but she's had enough good matches to where calling her bad seems shortsighted. Surprising it may be to some, but her I think some of her best in-ring work was with Naomi. They clicked really well. Concussion issues slowed down her progress for a while, but they sidestepped that by putting her in the tag division and now with Bray/Fiend. She doesn't have to wrestle as much and focus more on character work.

Her biggest obstacle is obviously her size. They shouldn't have made her into a faux world-beater who can knock out other women with one punch. They should have made her more of a cheat on that end. Her no-selling anyone, let alone Asuka, is ridiculous. Not that Asuka is much bigger than Alexa, but she has years of work that back up her being a fighting machine. 

Alexa benefitted with the roster split and going to Smackdown, which took time to build the six women they had on their roster at the time. IMO, her monster booking happened when she moved to RAW. They went overboard, especially with the Bayley feud. There are clearly better in-ring workers within the division, but she's been built up and moves a lot of merch. And she's still better on the mic than most. No going back now.

Edited by Burgundy LaRue
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, killsteve said:

Is Alexa Bliss the most over-pushed female worker of all time? Charlotte is up there too, but she atleast can go in the ring. Bliss is objectively bad, especially relative to how many better workers they have under contract. Her entire WWE career feels like she's there because she can do cooky faces and Vince just watched Suicide Squad. 

Welcome to the board ?

• Like 1

I always assumed they wouldn't put a belt back on Alexa after her concussion issues since they're worried about their champ being out and having to explain that. But if they're only working roughly 5 shows a week and not wrestling all 5 of those shows, they could probably make it work.

16 minutes ago, Ramo2653 said:

I always assumed they wouldn't put a belt back on Alexa after her concussion issues since they're worried about their champ being out and having to explain that. But if they're only working roughly 5 shows a week and not wrestling all 5 of those shows, they could probably make it work.

and as long as the Jax/Baszler team is around and a top contender By Default, Bliss is actually safer in singles than in tags