DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night on ESPN 20: Chiesa vs. Magny (1/20/2021) - Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates (UFC Fight Island - Etihad Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

ErFg5N1UcAcWWO7.jpeg?1609995256

UFC Fight Night on ESPN 20: Chiesa vs. Magny 
January 20, 2021
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates (UFC Fight Island - Etihad Arena)

Michael Chiesa (170.5) vs. Neil Magny (171) - Chiesa, DEC (unanimous)
Warlley Alves (171) vs. Mounir Lazzez (171) - Alves, TKO (strikes), R1 (2:35)
Isaac Villanueva (206) vs. Vinicius Moreira (206) - Villanueva, KO (punch), R2 (0:39)
Roxanne Modafferi (126) vs. Viviane Araújo (126) - Araújo, DEC (unanimous)
Matt Schnell (126) vs. Tyson Nam (126) - Schnell, DEC (split)
Lerone Murphy (146) vs. Douglas Silva de Andrade (145) - Murphy, DEC (unanimous)    
Omari Akhmedov (186) vs. Tom Breese (186) - Akhmedov, SUB (arm triangle choke), R2 (1:41)

ESPN/ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Ricky Simón (136) vs. Gaetano Pirrello (136) - Simón, SUB (arm triangle choke), R2 (4:00)
Su Mudaerji (126) vs. Zarrukh Adashev (126) - Mudaerji, DEC (unanimous)
Dalcha Lungiambula (186) vs. Markus Perez (186) - Lungiambula, DEC (unanimous)
Francisco Nazareno (126) vs. Jerome Rivera (126) - Nazareno, DEC (unanimous)
Mike Davis (154.5) vs. Mason Jones (156) - Davis, DEC (unanimous)
Umar Nurmagomedov (136) vs. Sergey Morozov (135) - Nurmagomedov, SUB, R2 (3:39)
Victoria Leonardo (125.5) vs. Manon Fiorot (126) - Fiorot, TKO (strikes), R2 (4:08)

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Umar Nurmagomedov
Performance of the Night: Warlley Alves
Fight of the Night: Mike Davis vs. Mason Jones

Rating: 244,000 viewers

2 minutes ago, Hail Sabin said:

You going to make the Format for this show so we can pick it later tonight? 

I'm actually tallying last week's scores right now. It should be up shortly.

• Like 1

I'm catching up watching on the DVR...if Vivi Araujo can work on her stamina and start implementing more kicks into her arsenal, she can be a player at flyweight. Roxy is a notorious tough out for our her flaws. 

Goddamn Ike Villanueva hit Moreira so hard it looked like an old sports arena being demolished. The bonus hilarity to all this is DC and Felder making fun of Moreira terrible striking. Just horrendous.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Goddamn Ike Villanueva hit Moreira so hard it looked like an old sports arena being demolished. The bonus hilarity to all this is DC and Felder making fun of Moreira terrible striking. Just horrendous.

Them clowning the Kick/Punch was one of the highlights of the 6 hours on my DVR. 

• Haha 1

I severely underestimated Chiesa because I thought this fight against Magny would be super competitive. It was only competitive for the first half of round 3 and that's about it. The rest of the fight was just a severe grappling clinic.

I also like the irony of Chiesa calling out Covington for his schtick after the fight but he himself came out of Ted Nugent's Stranglehold. 

7 hours ago, Hail Sabin said:

Fiorot looked Great in her UFC Debut & Leonardo was Tough taking some nasty shots. 

Leonardo just looked overwhelmed once Fiorot got going.

Here is where female MMA is still developing because you don't see the diversity of the kicks as much as you see it with the male fighters. It's just a straight up thai roundhouse kick and some simple low kicks. Sure, some of the higher level females do them. I think that's why Valentina has been so dominant. She's throwing out stuff that most female MMA fighters haven't ever dealt with. Moreover, if you change up those kicks then it can set up the roundhouse. A Sabino Mazo can roundhouse kick lower level girls into oblivion, but she struggles to do that against better competition due to her opponents only having to deal with that one dimension. Here, Manon Fiorot had success against Leonardo because Leonardo had no idea what was coming next. Then, boom, Fiorot hits her with a nasty high kick and that pretty much does it.

• Like 1

Chiesa fight reminded me of that period in the UFC where guys line Fitch and GSP dominated with a very uninteresting wrestling style. Sure grappling purists fawn over it, but man is it uninteresting to watch 5 rounds of it with no attempt to finish it.

1 hour ago, Dirty J. said:

Chiesa fight reminded me of that period in the UFC where guys line Fitch and GSP dominated with a very uninteresting wrestling style. Sure grappling purists fawn over it, but man is it uninteresting to watch 5 rounds of it with no attempt to finish it.

I think he was a tad bit more active than that. Problem is Magny is a hell of grappler himself and only been submitted by Maia, RDA, and Sergio Moraes. Two of those guys are world Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu champions. The other guy came up as a pure BJJ guy. If this was a lesser fighter, Chiesa would have gotten him out of there. 

• jaedmc unpinned this topic