DVDVR Message Board

SDL is Mosh Pushing - 1/15/2021

Dolfan in NYC

15 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Also, 10+ minutes of a delightful Cesaro-Bryan match with hardway juice!

Cc: @The Natural

Solid little TV match as you would expect from these two. It's cool seeing Daniel Bryan continue putting on quality TV matches as he had an incredible in ring year last year and it's always pleasant seeing Cesaro pick up a big win.

That was a decent night of wrestling all in all.

I'm here for corny 90s sitcom mom Bayley. Also Big E lounging on a couch eating fruit in a Ghostbusters sweater.

I thought they would stretch out the Pearce/Roman angle another week or two before the eventual swerve. The match with Owens will be good, but I'm still kinda bummed we got screwed out of a Nakamura/Roman match.

The Diminic stuff was cringy as usual. I don't have any idea of who Rey was referring to, but I just hope they're a substitute for Dominic.

Bryan/Cesaro was a banger.

9 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

I thought they would stretch out the Pearce/Roman angle another week or two before the eventual swerve. The match with Owens will be good, but I'm still kinda bummed we got screwed out of a Nakamura/Roman match.

I'm hoping Nakamura takes Pearce to task for that. Yeah, KO got screwed on both matches, but that's not Nak's problem. He got screwed too, and should want a shot at Roman. That's if Roman doesn't send Pearce to an early grave first.

Apollo getting counsel from Roman was a great touch and makes Talking Smack canon.

All the matches were good tonight. Liv Morgan has improved a lot.

Ding Dong, Hello! was hilarious. Bayley was a combo of Sally Jessy Raphael and Ricki Lake, and I love it. The obstacle course with Bianca is going to be awesome.

Billie continues to be fantastic.

Interested in seeing if they do a Sasha-Reginald match.

Cool to see the 8K camera being used for entrances. It adds another layer to Smackdown being taken seriously by FOX.

Good show. Smackdown has its stories lined up well.

• Like 4

Loved Daniel Bryan vs. Cesaro. That's my kind of wrestling. Out of all the Daniel Bryan vs. Cesaro WWE matches, I'd have it second only to the RAW Gauntlet match, 22nd July 2013. I'll be watching that later.

Cesaro Smackdown Exclusive promo just added on WWE's YouTube.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Thought the matches were generally all solid tonight with Bryan/Cesaro particularly standing out. Really like how they are continuing Bryan working with Alpha Academy.

Shinsuke going back to his old music was nice to hear. I don;t dislike his heel theme, but that original version as a face will always be his best.

Billie in Riott Squad was as entertaining as I hoped. 

Apollo talking to Roman was neat. Its good to see others buying in to the Tribal Chief.

Bayley & Bianca's segment was nice enough. You can kind of tell the two enjoy working with each other. Curious to see what they do with the obstacle course next week.

Sasha vs. Reginald is going to feel weird with how WWE has avoided doing proper mixed matches for years now. At least Sasha/Mella III should be solid-good when it happens.

Dug much of the Roman/Pierce stuff till they pulled the rug out to give Owens another shot. I like Owens, but I have zero interest in seeing him against Roman again. Pierce getting his ass beat &  Shinsuke vs. Roman are so much more damn appealing.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Dug much of the Roman/Pierce stuff till they pulled the rug out to give Owens another shot. I like Owens, but I have zero interest in seeing him against Roman again. Pierce getting his ass beat &  Shinsuke vs. Roman are so much more damn appealing.

I like Kevin Owens but I'd also have preferred Roman Reigns vs. Shinsuke Nakamura or Roman Reigns vs. Adam Pearce at the Royal Rumble.

Once they went with the Last Man Standing stip I knew Pearce wasn't going to wrestle, it's one thing to smoke and mirror (I assume he can't take bumps like that) a no DQ brawl, LMS ain't gonna work.

The last intergender match was Becky/Ellsworth, right? That was fun I assume the Sasha match will be similar.

Daniel Bryan doing goofy backstage stuff and having dope matches, light schedule Bryan is great. 

Big E was great just lounging and cracking jokes. If this leads to Apollo just trying to occupy Big E so he doesn't go after Roman later on it's great.

I could go on, but I actually liked every segment this week which is shocking for me, I usually wait to watch so I can skip stuff I don't like but I didn't need it this week.

I was doing some thinking.  Otis won MITB and part of me thinks it was done for shock due to no crowd being involved. I wonder if they do a shock Rumble winner as well. Sure Otis was screwed out of the case but you could have a shock Rumble winner and build them for a couple months til you get to Mania. A Cesaro win could be fun. Or have Balor return to win the Rumble, maybe even Cole.  Something unexpected would be nice.

I say this because I don't see Owens beating Reigns. Unless they were to give KO a short reign for him to drop it at the Elimination Chamber, but if that's the plan what's the point?  Would rather have seen Pearce or Nakamura getting the shot. Something fresh. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I wasn't expecting Billie Kay to be the Shawn Michaels of the team but good for her.  I thought she'd be buried but she's made it work. 

I suppose I may have been a bit premature with this post after all ?

then again, given that "we think Peyton Royce has huge upside as a solo act" was ostensibly the reason for the split, I think we all naturally assumed the WWE would have at some point actually tried to find out whether that was true or not.

[never mind my radical & heretical theories on how not every tag team is necessarily a 1 super star & 1 albatross situation just because it played out that way one time 20 years ago...]