DVDVR Message Board

IMPACT "Hard To Kill" (01/16/21)

Moose is replacing Alex Shelley in the main event due to Shelley having "unavoidable circumstances" that will prevent him from going to Nashville

The Card is now

• AEW World Champion Kenny Omega & Impact Tag Team Champions The Good Brothers (Karl Anderson and Doc Gallows) vs. Impact World Champion Rich Swann, Chris Sabin and Moose
  • Knockouts Champion Deonna Purrazzo vs. Taya Valkyrie
  • X-Division Champion Manik vs. Rohit Raju and Chris Bey in a triple threat match
  • Knockouts Tag Team title tournament finals: Havok and Nevaeh vs. Kiera Hogan and Tasha Steelz
  • Eddie Edwards vs. Sami Callihan in a barbed wire match
  • Eric Young, Joe Doering and Cody Deaner vs. Tommy Dreamer, Rhino and Cousin Jake in a no DQ match
  • Ethan Page vs. The Karate Man
  • Rosemary and Crazzy Steve vs. Tenille Dashwood and Kaleb With A K
  • Josh Alexander vs. Brian Myers on the countdown show

After being removed from the main event of Hard to Kill, Alex Shelley has given an update on the situation.

Impact Wrestling announced on Friday that Moose is replacing Shelley in the main event of Hard to Kill. Impact announced that Shelley informed the company late Thursday night that he's unable to travel to Nashville for the pay-per-view due to unavoidable circumstances. AEW World Champion Kenny Omega & Impact Tag Team Champions The Good Brothers (Karl Anderson & Doc Gallows) will now face Impact World Champion Rich Swann, Moose & Chris Sabin in a six-man tag match at tonight's PPV.

Impact Wrestling posted a message from Shelley today where he provided an update on why he isn't able to appear at Hard to Kill. "I assure everyone out there, I do not have COVID," Shelley said. "I am not orthopedically injured. But in the interest of safety, my situation is a very complex one. I put that first -- as does Impact management. And they are doing the utmost in terms of precautions to make sure that nobody is at risk at Hard to Kill or going forward."

Shelley promised that he'll be back in Impact Wrestling. He apologized to Sabin, Swann, and the fans and said he owes a receipt to Omega and The Good Brothers.

Solid show. I wished Deonna/Taya got more time as it was good but felt like they could've done more. Barbed Wire Massacre was awesome and a fitting conclusion to the Eddie/Sami saga. I'm surprised there was no Shamrock involvement at all. the X title match ended up very good, I was rooting for Rohit but thought Bey should've won after the mid-air Cutter. 

Loved Striker getting in "This is a markout moment and I'm marking out bro!!" for Cardona. 

Great main event. Shame that Shelley couldn't be there, but Moose busted his ass to fill the void and did good stuff. Glad they didn't do any obvious Moose costs his team ending. 

Full Results:

Spoiler

*Preshow: Brian Myers def. Josh Alexander (10:59) with the Clothesline after Myers pulled Josh's head gear over his eyes.

*Madison Rayne officially announced her retirement.

Impact Wrestling Hard to Kill - January 16, 2021

*Decay (Rosemary & Crazzy Steve) def. Tenille Dashwood & Kaleb Konley (9:37) when Steve pinned Kaleb with the diving DDT after Rosemary used green mist

*Violent by Design (Eric Young, Joe Doering, & Deaner) def. Tommy Dreamer, Rhino, & Cousin Jake (9:55) in an extreme rules match when Young pinned Jake after the Piledriver.

*Fire 'n' Flava (Kiera Hogan & Tasha Steelz) def. Nevaeh & Havok (8:48) when Kiera pinned Nevaeh with the swinging fisherman's suplex to win the knockouts tag team championships. After the match, former knockout tag champs Madison Rayne and Gail Kim presented the new titles to the champions. Brian Hebner returned to Impact as the referee for the match.

*Ace Austin came to the ring with Madman Fulton. Ace complained about not being on the show, said the Super X Cup makes him #1 contender to the X title, so he called out Scott D'Amore to add him to the X Division Championship match. D'Amore came out and instead introduced a new opponent for Ace..

*Matt Cardona def. Ace Austin (w/ Madman Fulton) via DQ.. (2:30) when Fulton interfered. After the match, Cardona fought Fulton off and sent he and Ace from the ring.

*Manik(c) def. Rohit Raju & Chris Bey (13:52) with a rollup on Rohit to retain the X Division Championship.

*Deonna Purrazzo(c) def. Taya Valkyrie (11:42) via Venus de Milo submission to retain the knockouts championship.

*The Karate Man def. Ethan Page (2:21) via fatality by ripping his heart out in a cinematic fight sequence.

*Eddie Edwards def. Sami Callihan (18:52) after the Die Hard Flowsion onto a barbed wire board and barbed wire wrapped steel chair in Barbed Wire Massacre.

-Impact returns to PPV with Rebellion on April 24. 

*Kenny Omega & The Good Brothers (Doc Gallows & Karl Anderson) (w/ Don Callis) def. Rich Swann, Chris Sabin, & Moose (20:28) when Omega pinned Swann with the One Winged Angel.

• Like 2

Ethan Page is shitting all over that Page/Karate Man match, saying he had no input in the editing and how it was presented. Called it a piece of shit on Twitter but then deleted that, and then posted on a wrestling figure forum about how Impact is a greedy company taking advantage and claiming ownership over characters and stuff. Sounds familiar.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I heard people call it cinematic match but actually this was more the first computer generated match looking at the awful quality.  I know they wanted it to look Mortal Combat style but yeah too cheap

I would normally say that having your champion pinned clean by an outside guy is stupid but not sure how many people even know Swann was the champ before watching it.  

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Ethan Page is shitting all over that Page/Karate Man match, saying he had no input in the editing and how it was presented. Called it a piece of shit on Twitter but then deleted that, and then posted on a wrestling figure forum about how Impact is a greedy company taking advantage and claiming ownership over characters and stuff. Sounds familiar.

And fuck that owl!

• Haha 1

I'm so happy for Fire n Flava. Kiera and Tasha truly deserve this and a cool touch to have Gail and Madison out there. I've been so into this Knockouts tag tournament and the return of the titles. Speaking of Madison, she was always a favorite of mine and wishing her the best in her new career. 

• Like 1

KARATE MAN~! was incredibly goofy and funny. Page complaining about it is a work, 100%. 

After that I watched the barbed wire match and... fuckin hell. 

1. Does TNA not know how to do a barbed wire match? Why do you need a chain and a piece of fence on one side, respectively? Can't you just do it Caribbean style or just drop the ropes? They didn't use the ropes anyway. 

2. What were the boards made out of? Was it plywood spraypainted on one side to look like metal? The board in the corner immediately breaking at the hint of a stiff wind with Sami corpsing will go over wonderfully on the next Botchamania. 

3. Does Sami really have to wear his leather girdle to this? It removes any hint of danger. Also I still can't stand his facial expressions when he's selling. It's as bad as Eddie's hair. 

4. Matt Striker. Matt fucking Striker. I know I said that him and Mathews were interchangeable. They aren't. I forgot that Striker was the guy that called Lucha Underground with Vampiro. I forgot how stupid he is and how glaring his commentary can be. He reminded me. Poor D-Lo (who shouldn't be on the mic either) even got caught up in his awfulness. Because of Striker I won't even go back and watch the Knockouts match. 

5. They could at least have bladed big time, and they didn't.

And that is my limited review of Hard to Kill

EDIT: Okay, all three Knockouts matches. Now I feel bad and will probably go watch them anyway. 

EDIT II: I forgot to mention what Sami looks like when he's selling. He looks like he's pinching out a really hard shit.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Haha 3

Nobody bladed in the previous Barbed Wire Massacre match either (Santana/Ortiz vs  Crist/Crist). And with that one, they had no excuse because Abyss still worked there and could have told them that whilst Barbed Wire does cut you up, it doesn't produce Pro-Wrestling levels of gushing blood like the people expect.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

KARATE MAN~! was incredibly goofy and funny. Page complaining about it is a work, 100%. 

I'd hope so but I don't think so since he's a free agent now, he seemed pretty legit in his hatred of it, basically saying Impact ruined it because of the fact that he has left the company.

This was his full statement on it:

"I'm going to take a full blown break from social media. I'll be staying active on my personal Patreon as much as I can & probably in this group too cuz I love the fig life & u guys. Xoxox. But man .... last night sucked. I'm so embarrassed with how IMPACT! lazily edited that segment last night & forced it to be a joke. I felt the thought of the same guys fighting eachother was comedy enough & the more serious we took it the better the reaction would be. But cuz I left the company, they lied to my face & just did what they wanted the whole time. I'm sorry if any of my fans paid for that PPV & felt cheated. I honestly feel the free version I gave away was made with more love, care, & attention to detail.

Sadly I had no control over the creative or the final product & the editor refused to send it to me before hand .... so I saw it live with you guys & was surrounded by family. All scratching their heads at that high school project level delivery on a PPV. I pray ppl know I didn't edit that hot garbage. I actually begged IMPACT! not to even have Karate Man on tv. I only wanted it for my YouTube channel.

But ... we don't write the shows. We just get the scripts & do our best. Idk what else to say. Breaks my heart this company refuses to respect its talent or it's fan base on a regular basis. I tried. Oh well! Life goes on. That door is closed. Now let's focus on what's next. Hope you're all well. I love all of you for supporting me & helping promote my projects. Because without you guys, Karate Man wouldn't have been anything haha. I'm gonna just focus on the good that came of him for my social media & my personal channels. He's gone now & may he live on in GOOD videos edited by the person who created him. Not stolen by a greedy company trying to capitalize on someone else's hard work & creativity. Sorry if this comes off so negative. I know I'm usually a positive light for my fans ... but today, I need to just be honest. I was lied to. I was hurt. I was disrespected. And I need a break from it all."

• Like 1

I thought they did a nice job inserting Moose in Shelley's place.   Moose came off as a star and was booked like a super babyface.  If he was Impact Champ, I'd say they did a great job making him looking credible next to Omega'.

But, no, Moose isn't the champ.  The Impact World Champion is....(checks notes) .... Rich Swann.  Who doesn't really seem to be on Omega's level is a lot of ways and was jobbed out at the PPV.  I assume he's going to get his win back in the singles match, but I don't really buy him feuding with Omega.  I sort of feel like he'd be feuding with Joey Jamela or Kip Sabian if he was in AEW without full-time.

5 hours ago, Archibald said:

Is there some mandate that every IMPACT PPV needs to have absurd things in it? Last one, if I'm not mistaken, had someone going to jail for murder because he lost a wrestling match.

Yeah, that happened at Final Resolution 2020.  Although I don't think it was technically a PPV.  It was taped and aired on Impact's subscription service (Impact Plus?  I think that's what they call it).

What makes it even more ridiculous is that Larry D swore he was innocent, but agreed to go to jail for attempted murder if he lost a wrestling match.  Sigh.  I know it's an angle, but still.....  I'd like to at least be able to lie to myself and pretend that TNA isn't insulting my intelligence while they insult my intelligence.

Edited by Eoae

Damn, I didn't know he left the company. I'd be mad too if that was my send-off. At the same time: dude, you filmed that Liu Kang kick shit, you had to know how corny it was gonna look no matter who edited it. 

1 hour ago, Eoae said:

I'd like to at least be able to lie to myself and pretend that TNA isn't insulting my intelligence while they insult my intelligence.

You can always count on TNA to be TNA. Other promotions convince you they'll be good every once in awhile, and they are, but TNA always delivers on its promise of suck. 

On 1/18/2021 at 3:01 AM, Curt McGirt said:

After that I watched the barbed wire match and... fuckin hell. 

1. Does TNA not know how to do a barbed wire match? Why do you need a chain and a piece of fence on one side, respectively? Can't you just do it Caribbean style or just drop the ropes? They didn't use the ropes anyway. 

2. What were the boards made out of? Was it plywood spraypainted on one side to look like metal? The board in the corner immediately breaking at the hint of a stiff wind with Sami corpsing will go over wonderfully on the next Botchamania. 

3. Does Sami really have to wear his leather girdle to this? It removes any hint of danger. Also I still can't stand his facial expressions when he's selling. It's as bad as Eddie's hair. 

4. Matt Striker. Matt fucking Striker. I know I said that him and Mathews were interchangeable. They aren't. I forgot that Striker was the guy that called Lucha Underground with Vampiro. I forgot how stupid he is and how glaring his commentary can be. He reminded me. Poor D-Lo (who shouldn't be on the mic either) even got caught up in his awfulness. Because of Striker I won't even go back and watch the Knockouts match. 

5. They could at least have bladed big time, and they didn't.

And that is my limited review of Hard to Kill

EDIT: Okay, all three Knockouts matches. Now I feel bad and will probably go watch them anyway. 

EDIT II: I forgot to mention what Sami looks like when he's selling. He looks like he's pinching out a really hard shit.

Yeah, I didn't like the change from the three previous Barbed Wire Massacre matches which features no rope barbed wire. The first Barbed Wire match is still my favourite followed by III, II and IV last.

Edited by The Natural