DVDVR Message Board

NXT on USA - 1/13/2021

Dolfan in NYC

MSK are the Rascalz as expected. Zachary Wentz is Nash Carter and Dezmond Xavier is Wes Lee. Meh names, but they looked pretty good.

Women's tournament starts next week. Kacy Catanzaro and Kayden Carter vs. Toni Storm and Mercedes Martinez. The other teams announced are Shotzi Blackheart and Ember Moon and Candice LaRae and Indi Hartwell.

Thought the Dusty Classic matches were generally good. Never seen the Rascals before, but they looked impressive.

Lumis/Gargano was solid.

Candice/Shotzi was nice. The teams announced for the Women's Classic are nice. Hopefully there are more teams to come.

Raquel's video package was good.

I like that they are going the Finn/Dunne route. It probably means even more that Finn will lose the belt to Kross, but I can live with that if I can at least get the Finn/Dunne match first.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

That's the first time I heard Thatcher talk. 

Needs work.

He used to have a fake English accent. It was awful.

So what does MSK stand for? Is it in any way copying Nick Gage's Murder Death Kill gang?

11 minutes ago, AxB said:

So what does MSK stand for? Is it in any way copying Nick Gage's Murder Death Kill gang?

Must Smoke Kush?  Only thing that makes sense to me but is still a weird name.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, AxB said:

I was wondering if it was supposed to be pronounced "Mask".  But nothing about the gimmick or their previous gimmick gives that any particular meaning, so probably not.

26 minutes ago, Pete said:

Marry, Screw, Kill.

Too bad Tre's not there as you could have fun with that one.

Speaking of MSK I really like their match.  I've been used to their style from Impact but it's nice to hear the announcers see all that with fresh eyes.  They could be the "shot in the arm" that can help the men's tag division stand out.  And I like the brackets for the women's cup but wonder if they're going to announce more.  To have just four teams seems a bit of a short tournament.

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

I was gonna say, I thought he was British. In any case it was still awful. He should probably just be a mute destroyer. Too bad Vince doesn't believe in managers anymore.

Malcolm_Bivens_bio--4f8f7c247eb26783cd4e

And it would definitely work as it did before:

EVOLVE-78-Thatcher-Stokely.png

1 hour ago, Norwegian Rudo said:

Isn't Murder Death Kill from Demolition Man?

Yes. It was also a videogame series in the 90s. But now it's totally Nick Gage's thing. MDK All Fuckin' Day.

• Like 1

Worth noting re: Thatcher is that when he first showed up in NXT and had to talk he was among the least comfortable talkers I had seen in a WWE ring, it was something it was rather obvious he hadn't put a ton of effort into before getting there. Since then they put him in situations where he'd be more comfortable and he's actually improved a great deal in that time. His promo this week was a step back but in general his promos are something he and WWE have clearly spent time working on with noticeable improvement so I say let him keep working on it until said improvement stops occurring and he plateaus. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, AxB said:

Yes. It was also a videogame series in the 90s. But now it's totally Nick Gage's thing. MDK All Fuckin' Day.

Back in the early 2000's, people used the term a lot on puroresu boards to refer to Japanese wrestler's infrequent ultimate finishers (ie, Burning Hammer, Sternness Dust) - the big moves they pulled out only occasionally in big matches.  I think I first heard the term on Stu's puroresufan board.

The main Fire Pro wrestling fan site in the 2000's - Fireproclub.com - had a really hated mod that went by the screen name MrMDK.  Wonder what happened to that dude.