DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 1/13/2021

Dolfan in NYC

Cargill has insane charisma/presence but god knows what's up with that weird angle she's in. She actually dwarfs Cody from certain angles; keep her separate from the women's division in an early-days Chyna style enforcer role. She's above it.

Marko Stunt, leading on from the comments at head of page, is kind of like a lame, politically-correct version of Spike Dudley .. except Spike would probably tower over him. Having him in a legit tag bout trading blows w/ FTR is just silly. Keep him as comedic 3rd man generating cheap pops but don't diminish the talent we're expected to consider competitive.

Speaking of low rent .. the Omega entrance broom girls give off the vibe of tacky club 1$ shot girls. For the NC references, Chi Bulls entrances this is not. WCW 97 Nitro girls puts this to shame; in 2021 the production values for your world champion need to be stratospherically better. Also enough with jobbers getting competitive exchanges with your world champion. Omega/Mox should just be obliterating that side of the roster.

Deeb & Conti exactly what they need - great additions.

As ever, great roster full of unique characters. Just sweep some of the cringe / needless low rent prod. values away and stop making jobbers so competitive.

Edited by A_K
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:

This question is one of two things currently frustrating me; the other being why exactly did Will Hobbs join Team Tazz? We've had no explanations so far.

I could be 1000% off base but my feeling is that the purpose of having him with Taz and them is to eventually turn him babyface at some point and face off with Cage for the FTW title, and having that win eventually get it sanctioned/renamed as the Super Heavyweight or Dark title, or as the top title of whatever the new show will be once it eventually launches. 

Maybe they even keep the name as sort of an analog to that BMF title that UFC has. Make it just a belt for guys that appeal to dads who say wrestling is bullshit but also say "this guy could've made it in the NFL" and wants a shirt with their tribal logo from the house show.

Dug this week's show way more than last weeks. I have a feeling that Limelight got a lot of offense in because they're keeping an eye on him. I dug his work in CWFH so it's cool to see him get more chances.

Tay/Deeb was pretty good and I'm not sure if Tay just had to go somewhere else before it made sense for her or if it was just a matter of time and it would have happened in NXT, but she's putting it all together.

Cage/Allin was so dope, ran roughly 10 minutes and felt like the perfect amount of time. That table spot was insane and the powerbomb to the outside was nasty too. Cage splatting on the steps looked gross too.

• Like 1

Alllin/Cage, already one of my favourite matches in AEW history. The Gorilla Press Slam by Cage to the outside was nasty, Allin was launched. Took a right beating in the match but held on and retained the TNT Championship. Really liked PAC vs. Eddie Kingston too. A way to open and close a show.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

When I was watching the Darby/Cage match, for a little bit, I thought Cage got a massive bruise on his left pec. All of a sudden it was just really blackish purpleish. Took me a minute to realize it was just Darby's facepaint.

I was really hoping Conti would win the belt last night- so I know she's won me over now.   Deeb helped that match out a lot, but Tay's improving rapidly.  She's proof some folks just need a different environment.  

Darby at some point needs to retire Sting though.

I do notice the in-ring storytelling, such as Darby learning it on his own, has a real NJPW-esque (maybe puro in general) influence to it, which is a good thing.  I like such in ring storytelling being told long term rather than just rotating spots, but I don't think you can do this with everyone on a weekly TV program, so it needs to be saved for the folks getting pushed hard.

I do kinda wish they'd show it with the promising jobbers on Dark, and point it out there.  It gives reason to believe why folks like Will Hobbs start winning when they're losing all the time to begin with.  Gives us a reason to believe why they're more competitive.  Even if it's just telling folks not to use their big moves their first few matches so you can showcase them as learned new moves.

Edited by alstein

Watched Conti/Deeb. Thought it was pretty nice. Conti looks far better in AEW than she did in NXT. I don't doubt she has improved since she left, but I think the biggest factor is AEW actually giving her a chance to test her skills and impress. NXT can be too limiting if you aren't one of the talents getting pushed regularly. Its why Raquel Gonzalez went from forgettable & average to pretty good the second she was in a proper story as Kai's muscle/friend. 

• Like 1

Side note: Miro is really growing into his character now. Pivotal month for him; if he dispenses of Kip early Feb & steals the girl (how else should that angle run?), there should be a clear path for him from there towards top solo monster-heel in the company.

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Hook = ratings!

Even if you change the channel, the Hook brings you back.

Nothing personal, but if I ran things here, Blues Traveler reference would be an automatic ban!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

It's good that Darby is still a draw and it tends to prove something about how AEW uses wrestlers. I know a lot of folks are conditioned to WWE using people every fucking week and there was some hand wringing for awhile over how little Darby was being used despite how over he was. The AEW methodology has always been we don't need to use everyone every week and absence makes the heart grow fonder. People like Darby tend to prove that right. I do tend to think something different would work better with guys like OC where you don't need to use him every week, but he really needs an audience to reinforce the fact that he's fucking over.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I think that might be a step too far to steal Penelope especially considering it's known the real life situation for everybody.  But I can see Kip pissing Miro off and he gets tired of their bullshit.

What’s the real life situation?

3 minutes ago, A_K said:

What’s the real life situation?

The fact it's well known about Miro and Lana being married along with Kip and Penelope being engaged. I mean I get suspension of disbelief but not sure if it'll work with AEW's audience. Or if it's even necessary. 

3 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

The fact it's well known about Miro and Lana being married along with Kip and Penelope being engaged. I mean I get suspension of disbelief but not sure if it'll work with AEW's audience. Or if it's even necessary. 

Ok didn’t know that, but makes sense. Not sure how they conclude the angle then. Let’s see.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, alstein said:

Also if they do this to Kip, I think Kip is destroyed credibility wise.  I think Kip is limited, but not so limited that he should be a total jobber.

I think they really need to start setting some battle lines here where jobbers are concerned. Kip really shouldn be on the show; he is pretty close to the bottom of a long roster list in pretty much all aspects of talent / exposure. Being a sacrificial lamb to get Miro really over is probably the best use, if that's the way the angle is headed. If its not .. well, again I'm not sure why he has airtime given other talent at disposal.

AEW has a tendency to be too democratic; what probably goes under the radar a bit w/ peak WWE/F & WCW is how proficient they were at leveraging low/mid card to get upper card over. There needs to be a few "untouchables" who embarass 90% of the roster in the ring which really drives up the stakes when that 10% face off with each other.

Edited by A_K

Real talk: Is Darby Allin the biggest/best bumper since Mick Foley? I know some of the New Japan guys, like Hiromu and Naito, should be in the discussion... and someone might have a favourite indie/death match/stunt show type of guy they'd rank above him. For my money, Allin is definitely the guy who gets the most and the biggest "Holy $#*t!"s out of me.

Edited by El Gran Gordi
  • Like 4