DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 1/13/2021

Dolfan in NYC

I just want to say kudos to the agents tonight, because it could not have been easy to put together Jurassics/FTR and Cage/Darby without repeating some of the same big guy/small guy spots, so hats off to them for sure.

I'm really looking forward to the Miro/Chuck interaction over the next month - both men have a great sense of humor in line with my own, I have a feeling they're gonna have great chemistry

Edit: how the hell did I forget this... Kenny/Gallows/Anderson as NWO 2021 has been really fun so far. Loving the little details like those guys coming out of the crowd to no music... that's the hallmark of an invasion angle done well. 

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 3

It's good to see the Scouting thread sucked out the venom about all the wrestlers in the promotion ? Seriously, we all know your beefs now, can we stop hammering on them?

Re: the table spot, Excalibur missed a perfect chance to turn to Taz and say "Remind you of something from ECW?" Or maybe just "Shades of Bam Bam Bigelow!"

They were probably trying to face Eddie/heel PAC a bit with the submission after the pin and should probably do more of that with their feud. Either direction works. 

Another great episode!

I think they made JE/FTR go so long just to have Cornette have a meltdown on his pod this week. Will he disown FTR? Lol

I didn't like that there was no follow up by the Bucks on their thoughts about being set aside for the Good Brothers. 

Tay is gonna make all of you tell me to settle down lol

Darby is an entertaining, crazy mofo

We need to see more Ricky Starks on Dynamite. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Man, wrestling is so much fucking fun when it's good.

To be fair there is LOTS of bad wrestling that is really fun too

Dull is where the problem lies

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

To be fair there is LOTS of bad wrestling that is really fun too

Dull is where the problem lies

Man, I don't know. WWE is pretty damn bad and isn't remotely fun. It's pretty much the antithesis of fun. Unless you're referring to lucha or Yano. The former I know nothing about, the latter, yes, is very fun.

Taichi though? Not fun. Sorry Jiji.

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Conti and Deeb was such a great match.  I still don't understand giving so much time to another company's champion but at least Shida was on TV the past few weeks.

Deeb is AEW despite being NWA champ.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

It's probably been said before but goddamn it is stupid as hell to have all of the face wrestlers at ringside singing along to Judas. Hell, I saw the Top Flight dudea grooving along - y'all should be BOOING that/these assholes! 

Danny Limelight getting a chance to shine on the main show was cool to see. 

That was the best Brian Cage has looked so far, and basically the role he should be filling - just brutalizing machine who has to make a mistake to be stopped. Loved the table spot as it was not telegraphed at all, just came out of nowhere which made it seem all the more violent. 

Eddie Kingston is incredible. 

Has anyone gotten a win on Dark and not gotten a contract yet?  Limelight probably has interest from NJPW as well which is a factor.

• Like 1

Really fun, high energy show. Good matches top to bottom, lots of variety. It was cool to see Danny Limelight get some air time. Deeb and Conti was good, Serena is doing some heavy lifting for the division and it's paying off, any women who's had a match with Deeb has looked great and she's establishing the division's bonafides on her own. Cargill/Velvet will be something else when it happens, seems like a bad idea to pair up two untested people but if Velvet rag dolls for Cargill to get her over it should be okay. I shouldn't rush to judge Jade either, maybe she's a natural in the ring.

Opening match was really good. PAC and Kingston work well together. I like keeping Archer involved too, I'd like to see him and Butcher hoss it off at some point. If Archer is really done as a main eventer then maybe he can establish a new monster on the way out. That probably isn't Butcher, tbh, due to his age.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, christopher.annino said:

AND ANOTHER THING... Can Tully take a bump? I honestly forget, but he's been such an asshole that he's due for a punch in the face.

I assume he can. At least a couple of  years ago he threw a couple of drop kicks at Eddie Kingston at a Pro Wrestling Syndicate show. I thought they were building up to a Kingston/Tully match. At the very least I'm sure he could handle being in a six man brawl.

Overall it was a fun show last night. I still don't get the whole Cody/Shaq Jade/Brandy feud. Brandy being pregnant should have been a sign to just drop everything. I get they probably want to use Jade because she has a unique look. But I just don't get the whole thing with Shaq or why they should throw her into such a high profile angle. Had Brandy not become pregnant, they would be building up for that match right now.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

This x 100. I will eat 1999-2001 WCW by the spoonful, but I'm not sure if you could pay me to watch a random current Raw or ROH TV in full

I watched Greed live at a buddy's house. We marked out so big for Scott Steiner making DDP bleed his own blood.

• Like 1

That Jade/Velvet pull apart looked ridiculous when the camera panned out and saw everyone on the women's roster just standing there watching the Rosa promo on the big screen and trying to keep a straight face.

+1 for how unnecessary the pandering to Jericho gets when the entire rostercrowd have to fake being so into singing his song regardless of heel/face alignment.

We're going to get a Jade/Marko love interest storyline aren't we?

I'd like to see a longer match between Kingston and Pac. They're both masters of their game and work really well together so a longer feud and payoff match would be excellent. Does this mean the Death Triangle are no more? Pac is most certainly a heel and the Lucha Bros look to be faces now. It makes the whole Kingston/Blade/Butcher, Pac, Archer three way feud kind of imbalanced.

11 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

I'd like to see a longer match between Kingston and Pac. They're both masters of their game and work really well together so a longer feud and payoff match would be excellent. Does this mean the Death Triangle are no more? Pac is most certainly a heel and the Lucha Bros look to be faces now. It makes the whole Kingston/Blade/Butcher, Pac, Archer three way feud kind of imbalanced.

I don't see anything to suggest Death Triangle being done. If anything, I see the Lucha Bros. as tweeners while Pac is definitely a heel. Eddie Kingston, B&B are all heels. Archer feels like more of a tweener now. I don't see any pure faces in this feud. The feud is imbalanced. I've suggested it before, but the answer is Homicide to even the sides for Eddie and co.

I watch every week but I don’t always post in the show threads;

I was looking forward to PAC vs Kingston and it did not disappoint. Great opener. I like the Archer stuff at the end with him telling Pac to get in the same page as him. 

Miro vs Chuck went how I thought it was gonna go. Chuck put forth a valiant effort but Miro is Miro and he perseveres. Of course Miro is gonna win cuz Chuck had to ge his servant now. those skits will be humorous, I don’t know how I feel about Miro being in a mud card comedy role but maybe they have big plans for him and he’s just gotta go through the ranks. 

I don’t know how I feel about this Matt Hardy shit. I’d have him be Broken than an old carney stealing money from the young guys. 

The Inner Circle New Year Resolutions was an OK segment. It wasn’t bad, at times it was funny. I don’t know where they are going with all this Inner Circle stuff. Max keeps causing a rift in the group. The three way tag match is probably gonna be good. 

Well the Dark Order has officially became faces with that Uno promo. And I think Adam Page is gonna become the leader of The Dark Order within this calendar year. Also John Silver is a National Treasure.

That video package for Darby vs Cage was really well done. They covered everything in the last 9 months between Darby and Team Taz. AEW is really good at building up their main events on Dynamite and making them feel like a big deal throughout the broadcast. 

Kenny Omega’s entrance gets more and more outlandish every week. I also like this Impact Invasion he’s leading. Callis is so great as a sleazy manager. That fake out of the Bucks being Kenny’s tag partners but then it’s really The Good Brothers I thought was perfect especially the Picture in Picture of TK and The Bucks at the Dusty Position. And whoever brought up how nice of a touch it was that GB came out through the crowd with no music I concur. The match was pretty good. I wasn’t expecting it to go through the commercial but hey I’ll take it. The lower card team went in their with their fighting boots on. Cool to see The Good Brothers in AEW even if they are unwelcome as guests from another promotion. Danny Limelight seems to have some options. With AEW and New Japan both interested in him. I wonder if once Pillman is out of his MLW contract of him and Griff are gonna be used for more than competitive squashes? Perfectly fine warm up match for Kenny and the Brothers going into Hard to Kill against Rich Swann and The MCMG. 

I didn’t want Moxley’s run in to get lost in that run on sentence of a paragraph so I decided to give it a run on sentence of a paragraph of its own. I like that Moxley is a one man army of sorts taking on Kenny and The GB’s by himself, The Lucha Bros showing up to Moxes aid abs going after the GB’s was awesome got me thinking them taking on the GB’s for the Impact Tag Titles could be a badass match. The locker room clearing to split them up was good. I’m kinda tired of the Young Bucks also doing the “will they or won’t they turn” shit. Just turn heel already or don’t unite with Moxley. The Lucha Bros super kicking The Bucks hopefully means they are getting an AEW Tag Title Shot soon. And the GB’s left through the crowd like how they entered.

The Waiting Room Segment, I’ve seen the segment before on YouTube and I’m a big fan of it. I like the throw back to talk show segments in wrestling getting there own sets, I like Britt cracking wise about the guests, Reba’s fake laugh reminds me of Tony Atlas’. The Dynamite Debut, I always like seeing Jade Cargill, if Brandi is out for 9 months Brandi’s BFF feuding with Cargill seems like the most logical choice. Now a pull apart following a pull apart I think was a bit redundant but AEW is an equal opportunity employer so if the men get a pull apart then so shall the women. They did try to fit a lot in, the Rosa beat down footage keeps the angle alive though and I did like the Rosa promo. I still don’t like the Beach Break name, Cody should have negotiated to get not only his last name but Beach Blast too. But I got to give it to Cody he gave other angles the forefront, he was a backdrop in his own segment.

I really liked FTR vs Jurassic Express. Match was more competitive and back and forth than one might expect. I think Marco as a wrestler works because he uses the hybrid Lucha-American Cruiser hybrid style using his opponents weight against them with the moves he uses. Jungle Boy is gonna be a big star. And how could one not like FTR’s beat the hell outta whoever’s in front of you style. 

The NWA Women’s World Championship was an awesome match. The NWA Women’s title is almost a workers title or atleast that’s how it’s presented in AEW. Deeb reminds me of Dean Malenko, no matter who she is in there with it’s gonna be a badass match, scientific and match based but badass nonetheless. Plus who ever is in there with her is gonna look like a million bucks and this was no expectation. From what I saw of Tay Conti in NXT I thought she had potential and she’s only been improving during her time in AEW.

Darby vs Cage was really fucking good. 9 months in the making and it was good. Cage just destroyed Darby and Darby kept coming back for more. That Gorilla Press out of the ring through that table was gnarly. One thing about AEW is they are not afraid of blood and boy did Darby bleed. Darby’s Coffin Drop on Cage was laying on the steel steps was cool. Darby vs Team Taz has been a hell of a story. I like that Taz has resentment towards Darby not wanting his guidance so he convinced a bunch of guys that Darby was getting a better deal than them. I like Sting coming to Darby’s aid, Darby finally found his mentor or did he? Sting has expressed his interest in doing a Cinematic Match on Unrestricted if they can keep this going for another 6 weeks they could film Darby vs Sting at Darby’s Florida Compound for the Revolution PPV. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, TheVileOne said:
Also, what is Cargill's relationship with Shaq? Is Shaq her manager, sponsor, what's going on there? I get that they're friends and all, but why is Jade threatening Cody and AEW with Shaq? Maybe Shaq is going to destroy AEW if she doesn't get her way.

This question is one of two things currently frustrating me; the other being why exactly did Will Hobbs join Team Tazz? We've had no explanations so far.

6 hours ago, alstein said:

Has anyone gotten a win on Dark and not gotten a contract yet?  Limelight probably has interest from NJPW as well which is a factor.

Kilyn, Fuego Del Sol, Bear Country, Alex Gracia

I think that match last night MADE Darby in my eyes, he looked like a million bucks.

Edited by The Green Meanie
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Bryan said:

I enjoyed Darby getting rag dolled with  those nasty bumps but the finish was pretty lame.

Someone pointed this out on Reddit, and it made me like the finish more:

The first time Taz approached Darby about managing him, it was after Darby lost to Cody. He lost when he went for a crucifix and Cody rolled through. He told Tax he knew what he did wrong and he didn’t need his help. So, last night he beat Taz’s guy with that same move. He learned from his mistake with Cody on his own. 

Yeah, I know someone’s going to say, “Great, but they didn’t point that out on tv!” Sure. That’s valid, but sometimes it’s cool to not get beat over the head with a cool detail like that. It’s nice to have to find something out on your own. 

• Like 7