DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 1/13/2021

Dolfan in NYC

2 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Yeah no shit. They ever make a date for this wedding? Because that's what you do with weddings. 

If I am not mistaken it would be February 3rd, the Beach Break episode.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Yeah no shit. They ever make a date for this wedding? Because that's what you do with weddings. 

Beach Break, February 2nd I think. EDIT: Third.

Edited by AxB
  • Like 1

Just now, Elsalvajeloco said:

If I am not mistaken it would be February 3rd, the Beach Break episode.

That's correct. They announced it a week or two ago.

I'm sure Alvarez will once again ask when the bachelor party is when they already did that at the arcade where they had Billy Mitchell make an appearance

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, AxB said:

So Danny Limelight is really good. Anyone not seeing the value in Marko Stunt now has to be indulging in some sort of ideological myopia. And Fite.tv screwed us buy not showing any Wrestling during picture in pitcher.

Also someone called Chuck Taylor "Diet Bradshaw" and I laughed.

Stunt only has value in the ring to the people that find things like his opponent forcing him to fellate a dildo in a match at an indy show entertaining. A niche within a niche.

A casual fan flipping channels seeing a 4’10 95 pound goof is going to laugh and change the channel. I know because that’s what my friends that used to watch wrestling did when I told them about AEW and he replaced Luchasaurus back when they first started.

Aside from the visual absurdity of him in the ring, he astonishingly works a typical indy style: do moves, take moves/sell, stop selling to do moves.

He can be a mascot for Jurassic Express and get beat up by heels, I guess. But if AEW’s goal is to grow its brand to a wider audience this guy should never ever wrestle on national tv.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

Liked Pac v Kingston and the main. Would have preferred FTR starting off hot, Jungle Boy hitting a few hope spots then FTR pinning Stunt quickly. 

I thought that the first hour wasn't bad, but loved the second hour with the three matches in that and everything that built from that, along with the Dark Order segment (again, AEW reading the room well with the unofficial face turn that will likely be cemented next week). Also, having real songs for entrance music is awesome, and I think was a huge part in making ECW popular (and of course, many great entrances in the territory days).

I like the idea that someone like Marko Stunt is going to turn off a "casual fan" but Abadon or Luchasaurus won't. So, they can suspend belief enough to believe in a wrestling zombie or dinosaur, but a short skinny guy? Ooooh boy, let's pump the brakes on that one!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Casey said:

I like the idea that someone like Marko Stunt is going to turn off a "casual fan" but Abadon or Luchasaurus won't. So, they can suspend belief enough to believe in a wrestling zombie or dinosaur, but a short skinny guy? Ooooh boy, let's pump the brakes on that one!

At least the first two look like they could hurt the other guy.  Marko's only redeeming asset is his signing voice.

PAC vs Kingston was good TV wrestling which felt like a grudge match, but you know they have a better match in them somewhere. They purposely weren't going 'big' but what we got was good shit.

It's about time Santana & Ortiz staked their claim as the Inner Circle tag team, hopefully they win next week but I think Jericho/MJF is the direction they're going in.

The Elite swerve was well done, and even though I have zero interest in the match itself, I have no problem with this leading to a Bucks vs Good Brothers champions vs champions match. Hopefully this means the Bullet Club stuff is going to be a short term programme. There was absolutely no need for that squash to go as long as it did though, good grief.

For all the people who get their pants in a twist over Marko Stunt, I'd much rather watch him than Luchasaurus, atleast he knows how to wrestle like a guy who is tiny. The FTR match probably went too long but I enjoyed it for what it was.

Main event was good shit, dare I say part of me enjoyed it as much as Omega vs Fenix. I have absolutely no time for Cage but this was about as good of a match as I think anyone can have with him. The big POWAH spots were all sick, and that throw from the ring to the table was fucking bananas. I will always appreciate a guy working over a bloody cut too. Finish was a bit, I don't know, underwhelming. We knew Sting would get involved and what he did was fine, and the big crucifix pin was cool, but it didn't feel as hot as the start of the match. Annoyingly it looks like this fued with Darby/Sting vs Team Taz isn't over yet though. It's been 9 months, time for both sides to move on to something else.

• Like 3

It's probably been said before but goddamn it is stupid as hell to have all of the face wrestlers at ringside singing along to Judas. Hell, I saw the Top Flight dudea grooving along - y'all should be BOOING that/these assholes! 

Danny Limelight getting a chance to shine on the main show was cool to see. 

That was the best Brian Cage has looked so far, and basically the role he should be filling - just brutalizing machine who has to make a mistake to be stopped. Loved the table spot as it was not telegraphed at all, just came out of nowhere which made it seem all the more violent. 

Eddie Kingston is incredible. 

• Like 2

Kingston/PAC was good.  PAC got a whole lot more offense than Kingston, which was a little weird to me.  So Kingston's going to go back to being a more dangerous version of Eddie Gilbert in the Hotstuff Inc days until they need to heat him up again, which is fine.  I still don't get Archer's involvement in the whole thing, which makes the sides uneven.

That table spot in the main was insane considering the strength, timing, aim, and trust that was needed to pull it off properly.  I mean there was no work there.  Cage had to perfectly throw Allin pretty far, just right.  Anyway, really good match.

If this is supposed to be a sport and these guys are supposed to be skilled practitioners in the martial art of professional wrestling, can we stop portraying Marko Stunt on commentary as a tiny, unskilled goof who has no chance at all?  If this is supposed to be a shoot, who wants to watch that?  Aside from the car wreck morbid curiosity of it, I don't want to see a peewee football team of 8 year olds play the Chiefs.  Also, why put a guy under who is doing a job?  Then you've just beaten a nobody.

"HURRRR my friends who don't like wrestling see Marko Stunt and think it's stupid!"  Buddy, they already think it's stupid.  "The mainstream or casual fan won't like it" is such a dumb point.  Why do you care?   

LOL @ Cody's PGA jacket and Britt making fun of his veneers.  I still have no idea what Jade's motivation or storyline is supposed to be.

Conti and Deeb was such a great match.  I still don't understand giving so much time to another company's champion but at least Shida was on TV the past few weeks.

Chuck headed off all the physique arguments (shoutout to @Craig H) by wearing a shirt!  Loved Miro dragging him away.

LOL Sammy Hager.  I'm liking these "we'll fight each other if we need to because we're tight like that" gimmicks where we'll obviously see the Inner Circle isn't as tight as they think they are as MJF tears them apart from inside.  

CHAMPIONSHIPS YEAHHH!!!!

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I don't get the booking of this segment. If the point was to put over Jade Cargill, why not just have her be a guest instead of Cody? Cody never even said anything. Also, what is Cargill's relationship with Shaq? Is Shaq her manager, sponsor, what's going on there? I get that they're friends and all, but why is Jade threatening Cody and AEW with Shaq? Maybe Shaq is going to destroy AEW if she doesn't get her way.

Once again, we end with another Jerry Springer looking segment. I'm not sure why, but all these trash segments with Cargill almost make me think AEW brass are trying to sabotage Jade Cargill on purpose. This reminds me of a segment Russo would've booked in WCW in 1999 or 2000.

Edited by TheVileOne

I mean, obviously, the idea is that more people will stay tuned in to watch the segment if Cody is the advertised guest rather than Jade.

Speaking of people being tuned in, I’m curious to see how Cage/Darby draws as a main event.  That match was built up for most of the year, so you would hope for a good number, but it also didn’t feature any of the “above the line” talent that usually draws AEW’s stronger numbers (unless you count the inevitable Sting appearance).  It would be a good sign for Darby if this did well.

• Like 1

Darby was drawing well when they had full crowds. I think that's my main hope for a lot of these guys like Darby, OC, Jungle Boy, etc. that the loss of a full crowd for so long doesn't hurt them in the long run.

Regarding Jungle Boy, it was really awesome to hear him come out to Tarzan Boy again. By the time he'll hopefully be in line for a World Title push, they'll have full crowds again and that crowd is going to go fucking insane when that music hits. PLUS...Jungle Boy trended worldwide for a short bit last night.

EDIT: And the same is true for OC coming out to Jane.

Edited by Craig H
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, Hagan said:

Dynamite gonna have to go TV-MA if Conti going to keep wearing those shorts. 

Between her and Jade Cargill you may as well have to change it.  I like both of them for more innocent reasons but holy hell man.

And now my mind goes from the gutter to shifting to Marko.  The guy comes off to me like the hyper-active teenager of the group who keeps having to be told by his older friend to calm the fuck down (Jungle Boy)  Which I find amusing but when he wrestles I can see why those have an issue.  But in tag matches it kind of works though not as much for singles matches (unless he's getting destroyed by big dudes)  I do think he has a helluva future as the slimy heel but that won't be considered for a good while.

And going back to the Elite 6-man you knew the swerve was coming but they did a wonderful job in how that played out.  But I also loved the post-match in it told a few stories quite well in the span of a couple minutes.  There were setups for Lucha Bros/Good Brothers, Lucha Bros/Bucks (I think enough time has passed for it to happen again), a 6-man with Lucha Bros/Mox vs. Good Brothers/Omega and also showed further signs of Callis corrupting Kenny.  There's going to be a good amount to follow up on but I trust in them doing these right.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 1