DVDVR Message Board

UFC on ABC 1: Holloway vs. Kattar (1/16/2021) - Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates (UFC Fight Island - Etihad Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

I feel Di Chirico beating anyone notable is a big upset considering Di Chirico's existence for the last two to three years has been the Italian dude who isn't Marvin Vettori. It also didn't help they fight in the same division.

I thought Matt Brown was gonna be done in round 3 because he was sucking wind something fierce after round 1. I think he's fortunate this fight didn't happen back it was originally suppose to happen. Still a damn entertaining fight though.

I never thought I would see a day where 50-42 is like a realistic MMA score, but here we are. That's like winning a 12 round boxing match 120-102.

And what's even more impressive is Kattar is a hell of a fighter. Holloway is just excellent though. The crazy part is that he may be head and shoulders above BOTH of the guys fighting for the title next.

• Like 1

Earlier this week we were discussing MMA scoring and how the worst score judges give is 10-8.  Seriously, I'd argue at least 2 of these rounds should have been 10-7.  I don't think I would have given any of the rounds a 10-9.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Earlier this week we were discussing MMA scoring and how the worst score judges give is 10-8.  Seriously, I'd argue at least 2 of these rounds should have been 10-7.  I don't think I would have given any of the rounds a 10-9.

There was a 15 second period in round 3 where I thought Herb can give the instruction to Kattar to fight back. Then for the next twenty to twenty-five seconds, he does do that but he's not really close to stepping in. I feel like if Kattar didn't have the rep for being super tough, that's a stoppage 9 out of 10 times. 

After the Spencer Fisher thing this week, you kinda have to worry about guys who have that rep and how it's seriously affecting the referees. Kattar is a much better fighter than what Fisher was during his best years in the UFC, but at the same time, he's up against a fighting machine like Max Holloway and not just a solid journeyman fighter like Sam Stout and other guys of that ilk. 

• Like 1

Thank you Dana White for that major non-announcement he didn't even deliver at the start of the show with as promised.

What is it with MMA corners refusing to throw in the towel? There is no way that fight in the main should've gone five rounds. 

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, supremebve said:

I was thinking about that Edgar Maynard II conversation about the first round scoring, a minimum 10-8 or even a 10-7 as I watched this.

• Like 1

Just now, The Natural said:

I was thinking about that Edgar Maynard II conversation about the first round scoring, a minimum 10-8 or even a 10-7 as I watched this.

I remember thinking at the time Edgar/Maynard I the first round definitely should've been a 10-7. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

What is it with MMA corners refusing to throw in the towel? There is no way that fight in the main should've gone five rounds. 

Literally what I was thinking. Very casual observer here, but I thought it was clear Kattar could barely stand deep into the fourth and was at points throwing wildly out of instinct and a desire to keep himself in the fight. Pivoted away from being impressed with Holloway to being disappointed nobody was seemingly looking out for Kattar's wellbeing. 

Like I said, very casual observer. I'm welcome to being corrected on anything. 

Also: Never purchased an MMA show in my life, but I needed a cigarette after the main of this. I think I'll be seeking out Holloway's next bout no matter what. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Literally what I was thinking. Very casual observer here, but I thought it was clear Kattar could barely stand deep into the fourth and was at points throwing wildly out of instinct and a desire to keep himself in the fight. Pivoted away from being impressed with Holloway to being disappointed nobody was seemingly looking out for Kattar's wellbeing. 

Like I said, very casual observer. I'm welcome to being corrected on anything. 

Also: Never purchased an MMA show in my life, but I needed a cigarette after the main of this. I think I'll be seeking out Holloway's next bout no matter what. 

I just think there's this warped mentality that if you throw in the towel you're a coward or if you're not willing to basically literally die you're not a true fighter. 

BJ Penn's corner stopped the fight with GSP after the fourth round at UFC 94, and Penn was not beaten up as badly as Kattar was here. Like I thought there was nothing round with the Penn stoppage at the time. 

But corner's need to let go of this mentality that there's shame in throwing in the towel. 

I get in an MMA fight one punch or strike can change the whole complexion of the fight, but Kattar was given more than enough time to try something, and he never did it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Thank you Dana White for that major non-announcement he didn't even deliver at the start of the show with as promised.

Really bugs me when fighters aren't protected by their corner and the referee. It's worse when it's your corner as they're supposed to be there for you.

Nice seeing you here, @Andy in Kansas.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

Er43laoXEAEyxds?format=jpg&name=large

How did you score that mauling? I went Holloway: 50-43. Two 10-8 rounds (2 and 4) which I nearly gave 10-7 to both of them. The most one sided damaged inflicted MMA fight I've seen. Holloway vs. Ortega and Gaethje vs. Ferguson were bad as well.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

And thanks to Matt Brown, we now have a new addition to the long, long list of Pro-Wrestling moves that work in real fights: Raking the forehead along chicken wire ACTUALLY DOES draw blood!

prelims were largely fine. nothing terribly interesting happened.

but then the main card started. oh, man. 

three first round (T)KO stoppages. i was pumped.

Condit/Brown, while happening a number of years too late, still delivered in spades. Both guys gave it everything they had.

and Holloway/Kattar was a beating of epic proportions. It gave me flashbacks to Holloway/Ortega, just one guy landing an ungodly amount of strikes and showcasing his skills like it was an exhibition. i will watch every Holloway fight until he retires. 

• Like 2