DVDVR Message Board

UFC on ABC 1: Holloway vs. Kattar (1/16/2021) - Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates (UFC Fight Island - Etihad Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

Ep8jJlCVEAUe6FB.jpeg?1608838698

UFC on ABC 1: Holloway vs. Kattar 
January 16, 2021
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates (UFC Fight Island - Etihad Arena) 

Max Holloway (146) vs. Calvin Kattar (146) - Holloway, DEC (unanimous)
Carlos Condit (171) vs. Matt Brown (171) - Condit, DEC (unanimous)
Santiago Ponzinibbio (171) vs. Jingliang Li (170) - Li, KO (punch), R1 (4:25)
Joaquin Buckley (185) vs. Alessio Di Chirico (186) - Di Chirico, KO (head kick), R1 (2:12)
Punahele Soriano (186) vs. Duško Todorović (186) - Soriano, TKO (punches), R1 (4:48)

ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Wu Yanan (136) vs. Joselyne Edwards (135) - Edwards, DEC (unanimous)
Carlos Felipe (264) vs. Justin Tafa (265) - Felipe, DEC (split)
David Zawada (170) vs. Ramazan Emeev (171) - Emeev, DEC (split)
Sarah Moras (136) vs. Vanessa Melo (136) - Melo, DEC (unanimous)
Jacob Kilburn (145) vs. Austin Lingo (145) - Lingo, DEC (unanimous)

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Alessio Di Chirico
Performance of the Night: Jingliang Li
Fight of the Night: Max Holloway vs. Calvin Kattar

Rating: 1.22 million viewers

2 hours ago, twiztor said:

this card is on ABC? is this a one-off or are they planning on doing more on network tv?

this main card looks killer. i'm not as familiar with most of the prelim guys, but i'll have to make time to watch this one.

At first I thought it would depend on just how this card did, but I don't think they booked this card to be a blockbuster. If you'll remember, last year right before the McGregor vs. Cerrone PPV, they broke away from the Lakers vs. Rockets game on ABC to show McGregor arrival's to the arena. That probably did affect some last minutes buys being added onto that show. With this card, it's earlier in the day but they are showing the UFC 257: McGregor vs. Poirier countdown on ABC before it. Therefore, I am of the belief the card itself is solely to promote the UFC 257 card. That's it. With that said, I am sure the plan is to do the same for other PPV cards later this year.

• Thanks 1

I hope Condit wins, he's not the fighter he once was. A good chunk of that's from his war with Robbie Lawler for Lawler's UFC Welterweight Championship and not getting the decision when he won said fight.

Be interesting to see Holloway back in action. I thought he beat Volk for the UFC Featherweight Championship in their second fight which went to a split decision. Think most of us here scored it that way.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 1

Just now, The Natural said:

I hope Condit wins, he's not the fighter he once was. A good chunk of that's from his war with Robbie Lawler and not getting the decision when he won said fight.

Be interesting to see Holloway back in action. I thought he beat Volk for the UFC Featherweight Championship in their second fight.

He's even lucky he's still fighting in the UFC after one of the worst runs I've ever seen.

• Like 1

Just now, TheVileOne said:

He's even lucky he's still fighting in the UFC after one of the worst runs I've ever seen.

It's a sad decline as a fan of the Natural Born Killer. I'd say BJ Penn and Chuck Liddell are the worst I've seen. Renan Barao and Johny Hendricks are up there as well. Didn't like Penn as I do Condit and Liddell.

This will be fun but how will the ratings be competing with NFL Playoffs?  

Austin Lights Out Lingo is a friend of mine. One day he randomly connected with me on LinkedIn and we kept in touch. Hoping he can win on a big stage.

Also is this the Matt Brown from that tv show family "Alaskan Bush People"  Pretty sure it is but I could be wrong. 

1 hour ago, paintedbynumbers said:

This will be fun but how will the ratings be competing with NFL Playoffs?  

Austin Lights Out Lingo is a friend of mine. One day he randomly connected with me on LinkedIn and we kept in touch. Hoping he can win on a big stage.

Also is this the Matt Brown from that tv show family "Alaskan Bush People"  Pretty sure it is but I could be wrong. 

Different Matt Brown

Pretty sure it is? I'm assuming this is a joke.

This is "technically clinically dead from a heroin overdose/one of the three or four remaining people who been fighting in the UFC since George W. Bush was president" Matt Brown.

Due to an injury with Phil Hawes, his middleweight bout with Nassourdine Imavov has been canceled from tonight’s card. 

UFC® FIGHT NIGHT on ESPN+: HOLLOWAY vs. KATTAR takes place today, Saturday, January 16, on Abu Dhabi’s Yas Island. For the first time ever, the main card will be televised live on ABC and simulcast on ESPN+ and ESPN Deportes (Spanish), beginning at 3 p.m. ET/12 p.m. PT. The prelims will kick things off at 12 p.m. ET/9 a.m. PT, exclusively on ESPN+.

https://www.ufc.com/news/ufc-fight-night-holloway-vs-kattar-update