DVDVR Message Board

Raw is the Flaming Sledgehammer of Plot - 1/11/2021

Dolfan in NYC

What we got of Gulak/Styles was really good. People talk a lot about how under-utilized Cesaro is but I think Gulak is definitely high on the list of people on the WWE roster not getting enough of a push.

This Lacy Evans/Ric Flair angle reminds me of that cringy as fuck storyline between Dawn Marie and Torrie Wilson's father.

Last week after Goldberg came back I thought about how they're starting to drag out the part timers for Wrestlemania season and began to wonder when HHH would interject himself. We're getting HHH/Fiend at Mania aren't we?

Sheamus/Lee was a decent hoss fight. I'm still waiting on a full blown Sheamus heel turn.

• Like 1

Charlotte/Lacey was solid though I could do without Ric's involvement in this feud.

Lee/Sheamus vs. Miz/Morrison seemed fine. Kind of loved Keith's reaction to the rope break. The immediate Sheamus/Keith match seemed unnecessary, but at least Keith won. It was also good to see them keep the respect that grew.

Gulak/AJ was fine while it lasted though felt kind of pointless.

SMF vs. Nia/Shayna was short but decent.

I couldn't be bothered to give a shit about HHH/Orton. I wasn't fond of any of their past feuds, and basing one on the attack on Ric months after the fact is just dumb. I did see the fireball spot with Alexa. It was ok. Not sure why anyone feels the need to complain about it. We have had fireballs in wrestling for decades, even before Taker & Kane in the 90s.

3 minutes ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Also, like I said on Twitter, I'd like to congratulate the WWE for acknowledging the existence of the SARS CoV-2 virus, a mere 10 months into the pandemic. 

Pretty sure they have acknowledged the pandemic. Why did they need to mention it live during a show to satisfy you? 

I'm not trying to be an ass either. I really want to know why this has bothered people.

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 1

Because at no point did they acknowledge the danger of this whole thing.  Never did they acknowledge the inherent danger their performers are putting themselves in.  

Kevin Owens had to threaten to quit for Vince to get people to wear masks in the PC and the limited time they had a live audience.  

Because there's a much, MUCH more infectious strain in the country now and we have zero idea how many people it has spread to because there's not anywhere near enough testing and contact tracing going on. 

Because we're approaching 400,000 deaths with no end in sight because people refuse to wear fucking masks over their nose or social distance.

Because two people I know died.   Today.   

Pick one.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6
  • Sad 8

I gotta be honest, I enjoyed Raw a bunch tonight because it was just plain odd in the kind of ways I appreciate (and at least one I didn't really but hey).

-Multiple people got hardway blood

-There was a fireball and for whatever reason a flaming hammer

-The renamed T-Bar's finish to "Eyes Wide Shut" which puts this whole group of masked weirdos into an amazing new context. Bizarre sex cult > antifa.

-HHH going with "burning someone to death is fine, I'd have done it myself, but being mean to old people is a bridge too far" is incredible in likely unintended ways.

-Riddle/Lashley had about as fun a two minute sprint as you are likely to get.

-Lee and Sheamus actually made a pretty fun tag team and it might be worth revisiting down the road.

-Ric turning on his own daughter to bang one of her coworkers is not my bag.

Also the way Shayna and Nia were acting immediately after their match was over made it seem like either Mandy or Dana got hurt, it was very odd.

That football game was mostly terrible so I fast-forwarded through some RAW this evening and apart from The Hurt Business I'm still not liking much about the show.  

I'll say this...    I do like this new wrinkle to Lacey Evans.      

The Triple H/Orton and Alexa fireball stuff was..  I don't know another cliffhanger, I hope they do more with this one than last time. 

56 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

That football game was mostly terrible so I fast-forwarded through some RAW this evening and apart from The Hurt Business I'm still not liking much about the show.  

I'll say this...    I do like this new wrinkle to Lacey Evans.      

The Triple H/Orton and Alexa fireball stuff was..  I don't know another cliffhanger, I hope they do more with this one than last time. 

iseewhatyoudidthere.gif

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Okay I was thinking about this this morning to see if - kayfabe wise - it would make sense

Now first off - You have to accept that the WWE changed rules for this year (they hate you remembering the past anyone - but I know they have done this some people can declare but others can't thing in the past but I am pretty sure it was always with a heel authority figure).

If you look at who has declared for the men's rumble so far - it is a short list (per the WWE website): Daniel Bryan, Randy Orton, AJ Styles, Bobby Lashley and Otis. Everyone is a former world champ except Otis and you can envision that Otis qualifies due to winning a Money in the Bank match. So they can easily work up a "Only former World, IC and US champs plus previous Rumble and MITB winners can declare".  Theoretically - you can easily get a field of 30 that way.

(Again this immediately gets blown out of the water when like a celebrity shows up but we aren't supposed to think like that)

And you can't have the same rule for the women because you if you apply the rule of any champ (World or Tag) for the women (going from the new Brand Split timeline starting in 2016 - only 16 women would qualify and two are currently champ. That leaves 14 - 1 on maternity leave and 3 retired/no longer with company. So only 10 are eligible. (Again only 16 total women holding the championship between 2 World titles and a Tag Title is an entirely different matter with creative).

So yes - I have thought about this WAY more than they have.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Andy in Kansas said:

Since I don't keep up with this that much, can someone explain how Miz still has the contract? I thought he cashed it in at TLC? 

They gave it back to him because they said that technically he didn't cash it in but John Morrison did (this was after a couple of weeks of Miz saying he was talking to lawyers, etc...)