DVDVR Message Board

2021 Discussion about Wrestling Podcasts

RIPPA

Anybody who acts if Lucha is just the style that came over to the US is wrong, and they also need to see matches like MS1/Sangre Chicana. That hypothetical person might be beyond helping but still.

It'd be cool if there was an unreleased cache of lucha that could be digitized and uploaded somewhere.

I had a history professor in college who spent some time in Mexico (his specialty/obsession was Imperial Spain, so he got to visit Mexico as a result) and his impression of Lucha was that the wrestlers were common dudes with day jobs instead of being muscleheads which might be pretty accurate for the 80s or 90s (depending on where he saw it, which he didn't specifically say). The professor was a Tennessee native who graduated from colleges in Alabama/Memphis, so perhaps the wrestling in the greater Mexico City area or Monterrey wasn't too weird to him. Especially the part about the piledriver being a death hold.

• Like 3

Apparently Mark Madden was on Flair’s Podcast? Wow I wouldn’t have guessed that Ric Flair could tolerate him. Gosh knows I can’t. They gave a list of the best sellers which was also weird as Ric isn’t a list guy. I don’t think I’ve ever heard him do one.

Does anybody have Sabu in their sellers list? It sounds wrong to put him in the list I know because it seems like what he’s actually famous for disqualifies him by default. There’s also the fact that he was really in pain lol! But if you ask me you can’t argue with the end result. Sabu rolling around like a snake who’d just been ran over was as selling as it gets IMO. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

Sabu rolling around like a snake who’d just been ran over was as selling as it gets IMO. 

Maybe that style of selling is what made Sandman say, "Come here, lizard lizard lizard!" during their NTR '97 match.

...or it could've been the LSD.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

Apparently Mark Madden was on Flair’s Podcast? Wow I wouldn’t have guessed that Ric Flair could tolerate him. Gosh knows I can’t. They gave a list of the best sellers which was also weird as Ric isn’t a list guy. I don’t think I’ve ever heard him do one.

Does anybody have Sabu in their sellers list? It sounds wrong to put him in the list I know because it seems like what he’s actually famous for disqualifies him by default. There’s also the fact that he was really in pain lol! But if you ask me you can’t argue with the end result. Sabu rolling around like a snake who’d just been ran over was as selling as it gets IMO. 

Madden got credited AND mentioned (twice) in Flair's early 2000's book "To be the man", there seems to be a bond/friendship. I think the book doesn't really hold up, but even when I really liked it at first read back in 2004 or 2005, Madden seemed incredibly out of place. 

Anybody check out Brian Myers' "Extreme Conversations" pod?  It's a short run of maybe 6 episodes covering ECW.  The first episode covered Heatwave 2000 and it was good but maybe a little repetitive.  The second is a series of interviews discussing Balls Mahoney and it's hilarious.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1

On 12/13/2021 at 8:08 AM, Technico Support said:

Anybody check out Brian Myers' "Extreme Conversations" pod?  It's a short run of maybe 6 episodes covering ECW.  The first episode covered Heatwave 2000 and it was good but maybe a little repetitive.  The second is a series of interviews discussing Balls Mahoney and it's hilarious.

I just finished the run yesterday except for the last one ("The Music of ECW" - don't know I care that much to check that one out). I liked it for the most part, but it does get repetitive having the same four/five guys commenting on the shows (and, usually one or two of the guys can't remember the specific show they're referencing). You do get never-before-told stories, so that's entertaining. The ones covering shows, I thought they glossed over a lot of stuff.

The Balls episode is by far the best.

Still liked it just because no one is doing the ECW-specific stuff in this format. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, EricG said:

I just finished the run yesterday except for the last one ("The Music of ECW" - don't know I care that much to check that one out). I liked it for the most part, but it does get repetitive having the same four/five guys commenting on the shows (and, usually one or two of the guys can't remember the specific show they're referencing). You do get never-before-told stories, so that's entertaining. The ones covering shows, I thought they glossed over a lot of stuff.

The Balls episode is by far the best.

Still liked it just because no one is doing the ECW-specific stuff in this format. 

Exactly!  Myers asking the same questions of 4-5 people got a bit repetitive but it was still decent on the whole.  I just finished episode 3 (Wrestlepalooza).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Exactly!  Myers asking the same questions of 4-5 people got a bit repetitive but it was still decent on the whole.  I just finished episode 3 (Wrestlepalooza).

That reminds me of endless shoots asking about how much the Von Erichs liked to party.

• Haha 2

When JBL and Gerry Brisco started doing their podcast streams earlier in the year someone posted here and I checked out an episode or 2. Now it seems it's become alot more upscale and more of a podcast, I forgot it existed and I've gone back and listened to several episodes from Stan Hansen to Lawler to Dan Spivey. It's been really fun to hear JBL and Brisco to guys from 2 different eras talk to these wrestlers they've interacted with in different eras. I especially love hearing JBL talk to guys about his time in Germany or Japan or even Global same with Brisco talk about Florida or Georgia or running the offices in those places. I wish they started two years earlier so we could have gotten a Terry Funk episode. I hope they can get Dorry on 

3 hours ago, Phil Schneider said:

New pod with JR Goldberg about the grisly Pirata Morgan vs. El Faron hair match.

https://redcircle.com/shows/be34c05b-8483-4797-af55-5ec4bd254611/episodes/31001a05-80d6-4726-84dc-da7f62d239da

1. I enjoyed JR Goldberg’s take on Subversive storytelling in matches. I enjoy matches in a similar way but refer to it as parallel moments. I’m going to steal his phrasing.

2. Misread the title. The first 15 minutes or so I thought it was @Gordlow and not Goldberg…

• Haha 1