DVDVR Message Board

2021 Discussion about Wrestling Podcasts

RIPPA

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
1 minute ago, Matt D said:

Tomorrow would have been better. (This is a little subjective).

True. I'm getting my booster tomorrow so I could've waited for the shot to give me a mild fever like the second shot did, and I could've headcanoned that I hallucinated some of this.

I have a very active imagination.

40 minutes ago, Stefanie the Human said:

I picked a bad day to check on you miscreants.

I'm looking forward to your input, especially since I know there's a good bunch of other queer folk here and I sure as fuck don't speak for everybody. 

43 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

I'm looking forward to your input, especially since I know there's a good bunch of other queer folk here and I sure as fuck don't speak for everybody. 

Luckily for you, my VPN's still down at work and I have time to kill!

So I've mentioned in the past that I used to listen to Cornette, mostly out of fascination for his bizarre behavioral traits when it comes to food and travel. I believe the best way I can describe it is like watching someone fall in slow motion down a flight of steps. You can't really look away from this rolling catastrophe, and even though you want to help, you know you're powerless to do anything because really, by the time you can do anything, the person will have reached the bottom of the steps (and might take you out in the process).

Frankly, if you can't be fascinated by a man who keeps a towel in his truck for the explicit purpose of eating cheeseburgers on the road, or reheats several day old Wendy's because he doesn't trust that he can get a good meal in a major metropolitan area in spite of copious evidence to the contrary, really what can you be fascinated by?

The reason I stopped listening is because he's an outright bigot, and I can be fascinated by human disasters that aren't bigots. And he's actually the worst kind of bigot, because he's the kind of bigot that doesn't think he's bigoted because he votes a certain way or dislikes the right kind of politician. And to be potentially fair to him, he may not even be aware that he's bigoted because his bigotry is unconscious due to his upbringing, but he's so set in his ways that he refuses to consider another position.

There's only so many times you can listen to someone proclaim that women can't draw or can't work, then hear an excuse about why they didn't watch the match they're purporting to review. Not to mention his lovely comments about Muslims, or Koreans, or trans folks, or queer folks, or using racial slurs to "draw heat", et cetera, et cetera. Could he be working to try and get attention? Probably. Could it be really annoying and make me not want to listen? Oh you bet!

There are those who say "but he has incredible knowledge of wrestling history", and sure, I'll grant you that, but think of it this way. Imagine I give you an encyclopedia of any subject you want to learn in the world, except it's covered in human excrement. Would you want to still want to read it? After all, it's still a great source of knowledge, it's just covered in shit. Or would you try to find a different source for that knowledge that maybe isn't covered in shit?

That's the way I see Cornette, personally. Is he knowledgeable? Absolutely. But I think you have to accept his personality flaws along with his incredible knowledge because the two simply cannot be separated. Whether you're willing to be nuanced enough to accept that is on you.

And as an aside, I do find it fascinating that there was a call to censor the slur "faggot", but not the slurs "tranny" or "shemale". Hmm.

Edited by Stefanie the Human

4 hours ago, Stefanie the Human said:

And as an aside, I do find it fascinating that there was a call to censor the slur "faggot", but not the slurs "tranny" or "shemale". Hmm.

The whole thing made me uncomfortable and I should have asked for a general request to cover those words. I hope you know that wasn't my intention and I truly apologize. 

Between the Smackdown thread and this maybe I could use a break from here myself. 

4 hours ago, Stefanie the Human said:

The reason I stopped listening is because he's an outright bigot, and I can be fascinated by human disasters that aren't bigots. And he's actually the worst kind of bigot, because he's the kind of bigot that doesn't think he's bigoted because he votes a certain way or dislikes the right kind of politician. And to be potentially fair to him, he may not even be aware that he's bigoted because his bigotry is unconscious due to his upbringing, but he's so set in his ways that he refuses to consider another position.

They don't realize this stuff does comes in levels to a degree so while it might be nice they don't outright hate someone for their gender, sexuality, religion, race, etc. they can still be bigoted. Its not just about outright hate but how they think of and treat people.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

The whole thing made me uncomfortable and I should have asked for a general request to cover those words. I hope you know that wasn't my intention and I truly apologize. 

I accept your apology. Some may not understand that those terms are, in fact, slurs (since I recall seeing them used on this board as recently as a few years ago), so I did want to point that out to those who may not be aware.

23 minutes ago, Eivion said:

They don't realize this stuff does comes in levels to a degree so while it might be nice they don't outright hate someone for their gender, sexuality, religion, race, etc. they can still be bigoted. Its not just about outright hate but how they think of and treat people.

This was something that took a lot of introspection myself. There's a lot of systemic bigotry built into our world. In fact, that's the point I was trying to make when I was commenting on misogyny a few weeks ago, because misogyny is fairly baked into our system and a lot of people don't look at it. I was hoping to get people to look a little deeper into why they see things through a certain lens. Instead, I appear to have come off as a dour misandrist to some.

And don't get me wrong, there is a dour misandrist lurking inside of me, but she does have good intentions like 99% of the time. ?

That said, I do think it would do everyone some good to think of things from a position not our own, but I also realize this is a wrestling message board and that's a lot to ask of people who just want to talk about someone's punches. Maybe I just have big dreams.

54 minutes ago, Web Conn said:

About ten or so years back a heated discussion about Billy Gunns punches stated here. Punches are taken seriously on the DVDVR Message Boards.

Don't even get me started on missile dropkicks.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

Hey, if anyone wants to laugh at a piece of shit Pro Wrestler, the new Crime In Sports is about Steve Gatorwolf.  Holy Moses, he was an asshole who became a monster. The podcast is hilarious, though.

Listened to this this morning and loved it. James and Jimmie are awesome. All of their wrestling episodes are amazing. Buff Bagwell went on Cameo and cut a promo on them because they made fun of his top hat during this episode.LOLZ.

1 hour ago, driver said:

Listened to this this morning and loved it. James and Jimmie are awesome. All of their wrestling episodes are amazing. Buff Bagwell went on Cameo and cut a promo on them because they made fun of his top hat during this episode.LOLZ.

Speaking of Buff on Cameo, on the latest We Watch Wrestling, Vince Averill bought a Buff Cameo for cohost Matt McCarthy’s birthday and it was insane.  Buff gave out his phone number and dropped such gems as, “ I’d do anything to my fans” (not “for,” “to”) and “ glow in the bask of Buff!”  He was clearly not in control of his faculties for the Cameo and 3/4 of it was Buff wrapping up.  It went on and on.

He must have said “party your ass off!!  (And be safe)” 18 times.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Phil Schneider said:

New pod with Segunda Caida's own Matt DiCarlo on Nick Bockwinkle vs. Curt Hennig's epic 1 hour draw

https://redcircle.com/shows/be34c05b-8483-4797-af55-5ec4bd254611/episodes/62628173-fb6a-4105-865e-24aa1a90485a

That was a fantastic listen. 

@Phil Schneiderdid I mishear or did you say that Bockwinkle had a 60 minute draw with Andre? Because that is mind blowing.

• Like 1

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

I would like everyone who reads this to chant "Bock Andre Broadway" nonstop for the next twelve hours so the rasslin gods will bless us with footage. 

I don't listen to too many Wrestling podcasts now constantly outside of Between the Sheets and Lapsed Fan but since Flair is back on his " F it" mode with WWE I decided to check his new podcast out. I was surprised to hear so much praise for Omega, he was still very pro WWE. He said Hogan is doing well health wise these days that makes me wonder if he'll disclose how bad Hunters health is. I know everyone close to Hunter has pretty much been told to be quiet about it but you know Flair is the type of guy that will bring it up matter of factly with out any bad intent.

It was actually really good, Flair is really interesting to hear talk. You never really know what might come out of his mouth.

Is there a good podcast about wrestling history? I'm thinking something that starts in the early 20th century and walks through the major players and how pro wrestling transformed from legit sport to what it is today.