DVDVR Message Board

2021 Discussion about Wrestling Podcasts

RIPPA

On 11/6/2021 at 6:46 PM, christopher.annino said:

So y'all are just cool with Corny's not-so-casual racism and he and his wife sexually harassing/assaulting talent? 

Cool, cool cool cool. 

Don't forget the not so casual homophobia and transphobia as well.  And whatever the Venn diagram between all his bullshit is (for example, when he says Jade Cargill looks like Shelton Benjamin in drag, does that fall in the racist bucket or the transphobic bucket?).  I'd love to hear a non-defensive answer to this question.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Thanks 2

I'm not sure if there is a particular starting reason for this round of "Did you all realize that Cornette is a piece of garbage?" but he is. This doesn't change that he sometimes has good insight into wrestling production (although his reviews have been worse lately with a bunch of fast forwarding through stuff). You can probably get more nuggets from his podcasts than from other shows but you will have to run it all through your Cornette filter where you can toss large swathes of it in the trash. It's such a mixed bag that I would love a long formed podcast with a similar format without all the garbage but I don't know that it exists.

I guess it's just more trying to figure out people here, where they draw the line. To me, it's absolutely bonkers that anybody still listens to a word that dude says despite him being a real piece of shit human. At what point do you say, "okay his insights are great but I gotta stop supporting this dude's work"?

• Like 5

Cornette has a lot of "my personal interactions with (x) set my opinions about (x)" to him.. so he's awful on some things either due to personal interactions, or a lack of them, and then he might surprise some with his stand on the police since I guess the number of idiot cops he dealt with outweighed the cops that helped keep Louisianans from killing him in 1984.

Also means stuff like he's ferocious on organized religion, unless it's someone who he knows and has a good history with, like Dibiase.

Fortunately for the sake of perceptions, he might not have had much of a reason to mention anything about Muslims lately, aside from maybe stuff about the Saudi shows that I haven't listened to. Cornette's kinda Hitchens without the Iraq War cheerleading?

Edited by Cobra Commander

1 hour ago, christopher.annino said:

I guess it's just more trying to figure out people here, where they draw the line. To me, it's absolutely bonkers that anybody still listens to a word that dude says despite him being a real piece of shit human. At what point do you say, "okay his insights are great but I gotta stop supporting this dude's work"?

Terrible people aren’t all morons and all morons aren’t terrible people. 

1 hour ago, christopher.annino said:

When he said that Omega was fucking Riho as an explanation for why she was in AEW.  

I was so out.  Fuck Cornette.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, christopher.annino said:

This is exactly what gets me.  I like everyone here despite some disagreements and heated exchanges from time to time.  I have decent opinions of most of you.  So I'm kind of boggled by the "take the good with the bad" approach to Cornette that I can't see decent people taking.  How much is too much?  If he outright called Kenny a "faggot" instead of slyly saying "twinkletoes," would that be enough for you?  If he tossed out the N word for Jade and called her a tranny or shemale instead of saying the oh so clever "looks like Shelton Benjamin in drag," would that be enough?  He's mixing up his Japanese women and saying "it doesn't matter!"  Ostensibly because all those nip slant bitches look alike and are just fetish toys for yellow fever weeaboos, right bros? 

I mean Jesus fucking Christ, how much hate speech is enough for you to say, "I don't care about this guy's good content, I can't tacitly support hate anymore?"  Y'all just denying it and looking the other way because he's being 1% more covert about it than the racist uncle you try to avoid on Thanksgiving. 

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 5

19 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Not sure anyone needs to see all that hypothetical punched-up bigotry when it's so easy to make the case against the guy using his actual words, but go off...

Yeah forget Cornette, he tried to compare my YouTube shoots to Tony Khan's forbidden door promos a couple of months back on his podcast. Everyone knows TK (apparently hopped up on cocaine according to Jim) > Krone Meltzer

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

55 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I agree with what you're saying but is it possible to at least the censor the F word?  Even in quotes that's not something that should spelled out.

That is the entire point of why I wrote exactly what I did. 

If "twinkletoes" doesn't bother people, maybe seeing the other word written out will make them uncomfortable enough to think twice about what they're supporting. 

• Like 4

As a queer person I have no qualms with Tecnico using that word in that specific way, because that was exactly the point. There were other words used that can be just as offensive to people from those communities, and we sure as fuck have been called to them by some hateful bastards. The fact that Cornette dances around using these specific words doesn't mean shit when that's exactly what he's alluding to. 

Edited by christopher.annino
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Trying to create common ground. If we can all agree Jimmy is a shit bag, we don't have to go over that again.

What in your mind is the optimal response for us to take against Cornette as people who don't give him any money?

If I had known just mentioning the man's name would unleash this firestorm I never even would've posted it. The remarks about female Japanese wrestlers, comments about fetish apartment wrestling and referring to most female wrestlers as "girls" struck me as super odd. I never even gave two thoughts about him calling Omega "Twinkletoes" a substitute for the "F" word. I'm sorry.

• Like 1