DVDVR Message Board

2021 Discussion about Wrestling Podcasts

RIPPA

i enjoy the Bischoff podcast. I listen to maybe one a month or six weeks, so i can pick and choose which episodes interest me. While Bischoff can definitely be full of shit, i appreciate his unique look through the executive lens, talking about sponsors, and contract talks, and all that jazz. I've listened to a couple of the Jarrett ones (shout out to @BrianS81177who mentioned there was one about WWA!)

i agree with the masses, if Conrad is uninterested, then the pod really suffers. Once he gets to just reading Observer results/recaps, it's time to tune out.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, twiztor said:

i enjoy the Bischoff podcast. I listen to maybe one a month or six weeks, so i can pick and choose which episodes interest me. While Bischoff can definitely be full of shit, i appreciate his unique look through the executive lens, talking about sponsors, and contract talks, and all that jazz. I've listened to a couple of the Jarrett ones (shout out to @BrianS81177who mentioned there was one about WWA!)

i agree with the masses, if Conrad is uninterested, then the pod really suffers. Once he gets to just reading Observer results/recaps, it's time to tune out.

You can tell he's really interested in Jarrett's b/c of all of the business talk. I do agree with Conrad that when you think about it, Jeff Jarrett has one of the most remarkable stories in the history of pro wrestling.

Awwwwwwwwwww shit yeah, Nick fucking Gage is on Jericho's pod today. It's been a really good listen so far and Nick is clearly in a very good and positive headspace. It's nice to hear and I had to chuckle at MDK meaning basically a bunch of really positive stuff. 

• Like 1

On 10/6/2021 at 2:22 PM, odessasteps said:

Some people see Conrad as a shill and huckster and dislike how he does his podcasts.

On 10/6/2021 at 4:08 PM, Craig H said:

When you pump out a ton of podcasts with lazy hosting and lazy content that all wind up sounding the same, you're going to eventually drive those listeners away not only from your own podcasts

On 10/7/2021 at 3:57 PM, cwoy2j said:

Yeah, it seems like all of his podcasts start off really good and go downhill from there once they devolve into schtick.

Exactly.  I stopped listening A) when it was obvious Prichard was just a lying carny trying to stay in Vince's good graces and B) when Schiavone's show just became schtick devoted to selling show catchphrase-related t-shirts. 

Cornette mentioned on the Experience that Bam Bam Bigelow was specifically a "No Canada" talent.

So here's the list of times he worked in Canada, all 15 matches

• Kitchener in June 1987, Montreal in October/November 1987, Winnipeg in November 1987, Toronto in December 1987, Winnipeg February 1988, Hamilton/Montreal March 1988. That's 8 matches.
  • WCW in Halifax, May 1990.
  • 6 WWF Matches from October 22nd to October 27th, 1995 (Winnipeg, Brandon, Regina twice, Kamloops, Vancouver)

So he had all of one match at the Maple Leaf Gardens. The WWF held 15 cards at the Maple Leaf Gardens during his 1987/1988 run and another 13 MLG shows during his 1992-1995 run. In June 1988, Bigelow was subbed out in Toronto for fine upstanding citizen Johnny K-9, and he lost by forfeit in Montreal the next day, both cards happening days after his final match (at MSG).

Bigelow was coincidentally out of action from mid-November to mid-December 1999, so he missed WCW Mayhem in Toronto. And he totally coincidentally didn't work Nitro in Toronto in March 1999.

The WWF having a no Canada list, at least for the mid-90s, means you can go through some other cards and start deducing who else might have been kept out of Canada, even before 9/11.

That might also explain the limits on Bigelow's 1990s WWF push because it was the US company running the most Canadian shows at that time.

• Like 2

I listened to the Grappling with Canada about The Mongolian Stomper. I LOVED what I heard, BUT the host's volume being 10-100x louder than the guest's turned me off like a MF. Since it all coalesced into what I'd been hearing about Southeastern(via the Studcast) and the Stomper, I tapped pretty quickly.

29 minutes ago, driver said:

I listened to the Grappling with Canada about The Mongolian Stomper. I LOVED what I heard, BUT the host's volume being 10-100x louder than the guest's turned me off like a MF. Since it all coalesced into what I'd been hearing about Southeastern(via the Studcast) and the Stomper, I tapped pretty quickly.

Yeah the content was really good, but the production really took away from the listening experience, which is a shame.

On 10/13/2021 at 5:39 PM, Infinit said:

I actually like what Conrad is doing with both Arn and Tony's shows.

Are the What Happened When episodes actually good? It looks like they've been doing weekly WCW TV. I stopped listening because Conrad was totally checked out and Tony would just sit there being quiet while he would watch the episode. The best or funniest stuff was when Tony would talk about specific details about a person or moment or when he would do impressions of interviews. Then it turned more into Conrad going, "Hey Tony, you ever hear about <insert rapper name here>?" or "Hey Tony, so there's this <insert pop culture thing> going on, you hear about that?" And Tony would just respond with say he hadn't and then that would just go nowhere. Or if it went somewhere, it would end with Conrad saying they were going to put it on a tshirt. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Are the What Happened When episodes actually good? It looks like they've been doing weekly WCW TV. I stopped listening because Conrad was totally checked out and Tony would just sit there being quiet while he would watch the episode. The best or funniest stuff was when Tony would talk about specific details about a person or moment or when he would do impressions of interviews. Then it turned more into Conrad going, "Hey Tony, you ever hear about <insert rapper name here>?" or "Hey Tony, so there's this <insert pop culture thing> going on, you hear about that?" And Tony would just respond with say he hadn't and then that would just go nowhere. Or if it went somewhere, it would end with Conrad saying they were going to put it on a tshirt. 

To me, WHW is a perfect mix of Tony and Conrad silliness, some AEW talk, and JCP nostalgia reviewing the shows and hearing the promos along with Tony's memories.

• Like 1

I'll have to give both a shot again. I never unsubscribed, but it was always looking at my app and thinking, oh, I could listen to this, but I'll listen to one of these other 100 podcasts I'm subscribed to instead.

21 hours ago, Matt D said:

Arn, since the format change, is basically second to the Fuller podcast for that sort of narrative autobiography. A little less folksy tall tales but it never wears out it’s welcome and you always want more.

Arn's podcast never feels like a chore to sit through as they never get bogged down in any silliness about Meltzer or any schtick they're trying to get over.

• Like 3

On 10/14/2021 at 3:32 PM, Phil Schneider said:

New Way of the Blade this week with Will Helmick aka Goodhelmet discussing Buzz Sawyer vs. Hacksaw Jim Duggan

https://redcircle.com/shows/be34c05b-8483-4797-af55-5ec4bd254611/episodes/c83fd1d7-2d83-454a-a8d4-4ac82ea1b040

This was great. Will going on about Sawyer having dog collar matches as his gimmick match he didn't lose until Phil shit on that was hilarious. 
Tune into this one people, it's another great pod.

• Like 2