DVDVR Message Board

2021 Discussion about Wrestling Podcasts

RIPPA

On 9/23/2021 at 10:12 PM, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

One of my saddest rasslin memories is being present for an argument in an Indiana lockerroom between Moose Cholak and Ian Rotten. Total generation gap and both guys were hot that the other did not know who they were. I had to mediate, there were no winners.

- RAF

Was this in Hammond?

Also, what is Brian Last's beef with Conrad? I haven't listened to a Conrad pod in over a year, maybe 2. I just can't get into them anymore because Conrad always sounded bored or completely disinterested. And by them, I basically mean the podcast with Tony because that one was funny, but it seemed like they were running out of content. Plus, I was mainly just listening for Tony doing his impressions of everyone and that got a little old.

• Like 1

S

25 minutes ago, ReiseReise said:

Additional information: According to Last, he made it clear to Arezzi that he wasn't going to keep Arezzi if he was going to work with Thompson. He also gave him time to decide if he wanted to commit to the podcast and when he didn't commit after a set deadline, kicked him off. 

So it's really just one guy throwing a hissy fit or is there more to it than that?  This sounds ridiculous to me.

I say that as someone who has never heard of John Arezzi or Brian Last before today, and knows virtually nothing about Conrad Thompson beyond he co-hosted a podcast with Eric Bischoff and might (?) be connected to Ric Flair... somehow?  Related by marriage or something?

I'm just curious about what I'm missing.  Is there some reason Arezzi couldn't work with Thompson?

I don't think Conrad is a shill or a huckster. I think he hustles his ass off between his personal business and his podcasting network. Some have called him a loan shark and I can give my personal experience with working with his mortgage company. I was exploring a cash out refi to take care of some credit card debt and to lock in a lower interest rate before rates likely start increasing next year. There was nothing shady when working with his company, but ultimately I went with Rocket Mortgage because Rocket was able to secure a lower interest rate for me with a larger cash out. It was also really, really, really easy working with Rocket Mortgage. It took multiple back and forth calls with Conrad's company and it was as cumbersome as working with my local credit union that I've done business with since I was a kid.

I will say his podcasts are all the same. Most feel like little effort goes into them. In the beginning when he had just a couple podcasts you could tell he was doing a ton of research and now he sounds like the person on a conference call who is distracted by whatever they're reading on their other screen. I stopped listening to the Arn podcast real fast because every episode was just "Ask Arn." Then with the ones with Bruce or Eric, he just stopped giving any push back because both guys are such bullshitters that you're never going to get anywhere with them. The Tony one was probably the best, but even that became very samey. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Eoae said:

So it's really just one guy throwing a hissy fit or is there more to it than that?  This sounds ridiculous to me.

From the way Last described it, it seemed more like a business decision with prior announcement to me. It's probably down to personal opinion and bias if you find the decision agreeable or not. 

I just think "got jealous and kicking SB off" wasn't what came across to me. There is highly likely another side to the story as always, but it wasn't what came across from the way last described it. 

Guest Stefanie Without Stefanie
3 minutes ago, ReiseReise said:

From the way Last described it, it seemed more like a business decision with prior announcement to me. It's probably down to personal opinion and bias if you find the decision agreeable or not. 

I just think "got jealous and kicking SB off" wasn't what came across to me. There is highly likely another side to the story as always, but it wasn't what came across from the way last described it. 

Considering Last wouldn't call Conrad by name and spent the entire segment taking potshots at him and bashing his content as lazy, it struck me as jealousy.

I should note, I have no interest in Conrad's content, so I have no idea if his potshots are accurate. But when you have your lawyer on the show as you bash a guy constantly and don't name him, that just strikes me as a jealous guy covering his bases.

I'm 100% with you that there a lot of negative emotions towards Conrad, not sure about jealousy though. What Last said to a degree is what came across for me, he seemed to have disdain for Conrad's content and didn't want anyone he has on his network to be associated with it. There is very likely something personal in there, but I have no idea. 

I have to admit that the story seemed quite tame in the wake of the crazy Ron Fuller stuff, so impressions of underlying jealousy might have faded from my memory. 

This gist on Conrad I think stems from when I heard him in an interview basically saying that this podcast trend “isn’t going to last”.  So I’m assuming he is taking that scorched earth approach when it comes to ad spamming his shows.

But yeah.  Between him spreading himself too thin.  Plus the novelty of getting big names attached to these shows is getting old.  

Yet still I’m grateful, because absent the success of the Prichard show, MLW wouldn’t exist.

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

Then with the ones with Bruce or Eric, he just stopped giving any push back because both guys are such bullshitters that you're never going to get anywhere with them. 

A couple years ago, I stumbled on Bischoff's podcast and listened to an episode or two before I lost interest (in wrestling podcasts, not Bischoff specifically).  As expected, Eric showed he could talk and it was an entertaining hour or two, but my lasting impression of the eps was that Bisch was telling telling some Hogan-esque whoppers and rewriting history to make himself look good, and there was no one around to call him on it.  There was another guy on the air with Bischoff, but the dude seemed like a mark who was just there to laugh at Eric's jokes and agree with anything Eric said, no matter how absurd.

They identified the guy at the beginning of the broadcast, but the name Conrad Thompson meant noting to me.  I assumed he was some friend/crony/hanger-on of Bischoff's.  It wasn't until a year or so later that I discovered that Thompson is somewhat well-known in podcasting circles and was probably there to be the "professional" host.  

Reading this thread, I'm wondering if I was right about him the first time. 

Conrad isn't wrong to say that this current state of podcasting isn't going to last. This bubble is going to burst sooner rather than later. Spotify pumping hundreds of millions into grifters like Joe Rogan and trying to get a ton of podcasts to air exclusively on their app is going to pop that bubble. For starters, Spotify is still terrible for podcasts. I don't think I could see myself ever switching from Pocket Casts even if something went exclusively to Spotify, like Last Podcast on the Left or My Favorite Murder. But those listener and subscriber numbers are eventually going to drop a ton. Then Spotify will say, you know what, this isn't worth it to spend this much money on podcasts anymore. Then following that will be all of the money from these shitty internet companies buying ads drying up. I don't even know how these internet companies have money to buy ads in the first place.

Conrad himself is also contributing to the bubble bursting, so I can understand there being some beef with that. When you pump out a ton of podcasts with lazy hosting and lazy content that all wind up sounding the same, you're going to eventually drive those listeners away not only from your own podcasts, but from others as well because those people are just going to think everything sucks. 

I cant be the only one who generally avoids supporting these companies that dominate podcast ads. (Squarespace being the exception)

I admittedly say this who deliberately has no ads on their podcast  and doesn't even tell  people to leave a 5 star review. ?

• Like 1

The one thing I like about the Bruce Prichard one is that he usually gives the company line it can be interesting to get a look at the thoughts from inside the company. Probably the closest we will ever get to a VKM shoot interview unless he writes a memoir 

I’ve had the same story with all Conrad’s podcasts, listen for the first 3-4 months then give up when he he has to review a random Nitro or Raw episode.

Ive ditched Tony, JR, Pritchard, Bischoff.  Currently sticking with Jarrett as it’s covering a lot of ground that isn’t Raw / Nitro.  Some insights into how TNA became so TNA-ish.  Obviously none of it was double J’s fault.

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I always figured that the podcast bubble would burst when Manscaped stopped advertising

2 hours ago, NoFistsJustFlips said:

A lotttttaaaa people in here fronting like they didn't use the promo code 83weeks at blue chew (dot) com.

Quit lying yall ?

I’ve got my MeUndies on right now.  Does that count?

8 hours ago, Craig H said:

Was this in Hammond?

Probably. It was a lot of chairshots ago. It was a small venue right between the trailer park with the strip club and the strip club in the trailer park - y'know where they start to speak with a southern accent? (Indiana joke, people, it's grim there). I can't even remember the indy fed - Lightning Rod Bell? John Osbourne? 

Don't tell me you were there?!?!?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, odessasteps said:

I cant be the only one who generally avoids supporting these companies that dominate podcast ads. (Squarespace being the exception)

I admittedly say this who deliberately has no ads on their podcast  and doesn't even tell  people to leave a 5 star review. ?

Only Quip for our toothbrushes. 

20 hours ago, Ultimo Necro said:

I’ve had the same story with all Conrad’s podcasts, listen for the first 3-4 months then give up when he he has to review a random Nitro or Raw episode.

Ive ditched Tony, JR, Pritchard, Bischoff.  Currently sticking with Jarrett as it’s covering a lot of ground that isn’t Raw / Nitro.  Some insights into how TNA became so TNA-ish.  Obviously none of it was double J’s fault.

Yeah, it seems like all of his podcasts start off really good and go downhill from there once they devolve into schtick. I'm still enjoying Arn's as they go week by week in his career and I like Jarrett's for the same reasons you did. It might be tedious for some people but I like hearing things like how they had to secure funding for TNA, the dealings with Bob Carter, etc. I still think JR's is worth listening to depending on the topic. You always have to fast forward like the first 20 minutes of that one though as they take forever to get to the actual topic. I don't even bother with Tony and Bruce anymore. Bischoff's is ok at times as he's somewhat entertaining and a good talker. 

• Like 1