DVDVR Message Board

2021 Discussion about Wrestling Podcasts

RIPPA

1 hour ago, Rev Ray said:

For those that didn't catch the tiktok of Corbin mentioned on new day pod:

Corbin embracing the sad sack character and doing some of the better recent WWE comedy has been a pleasant 2021 surprise. Maffew or one of his contributors could have a field day with the incoherent raging at the end.

New Way of the Blade pod with Childs Walker from the Baltimore Sun about Fujiwara vs. Yamazaki from UWF Reborn.  We talk about whether this is Fujiwara's masterpiece, how great shootstyle is like great boxing and a little talk about modern wrestling

https://redcircle.com/shows/be34c05b-8483-4797-af55-5ec4bd254611/episodes/da9b66d0-3cd3-4202-8a03-3951e8a9cfc0

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Infinit said:

The Crime In Sports podcast has an episode this week titled "Huge Ego, Small Calves: The Stuffness of Marcus "Buff" Bagwell. That should be an interesting listen lol

I just listened to it today. I don't know if the show was glitchy or I had bad download, but it was still hilarious. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Johnny Sorrow said:

I just listened to it today. I don't know if the show was glitchy or I had bad download, but it was still hilarious. 

I haven't got a chance to give it a listen yet...but I plan to sometime this week. Thank you for whetting my appetite! ??

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I just watched the whole show and I loved it. I've got a new favorite wrestling related show. I love this JBL and Brisco is just the greatest. He reminds me so much of my dad, who's also old, wise, funny, and at 82 is still a bad motherfucker.

New Way of the Blade with Steve Keirn of the Fabulous Ones! Discussing their match against the Moondogs from 6/13/83. Tons of wild stories in this pod, apartment blading with Stan Hansen, shooting on the Road Warriors, almost dying in the ring in Memphis.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Can I get some decent wrestling podcast recommendations?  I recently stopped my F4W/WON subscription because I'm cutting costs and paying off debt.  The only one I've recently looked into that I like has been We Watch Wrestling with Matt McCarthy and Vince Averill. 

What I like right now so far: the aforementioned We Watch Wrestling, Wrestling Anonymous (Colt), Marty & Sarah Love Wrestling

What I tried and didn't like too much: Deadlock (too many inside jokes for me to get into, they seem like a bunch of young stoners enjoying it more than I am), Post Wrestling (I just can't get into dry recaps with little to no personality). 

What I'm really just not into: Anything longer than maybe an hour and 45.  Even that's pushing it.  Like I heard Between the Sheets is decent but, holy shit, some episodes are like SIX HOURS long. 

Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance!

Honestly, We Watch Wrestling is the one I think is the best just because Vince and Matt both live in LA, they're in the scene, they're able to personally talk all about the local shows, because they're arguably beyond rich (thanks My Favorite Murder!) they're able to travel and go to whatever shows they want as long as it's not interfering with stand up work or writing. Deadlock is...fine...but I like those guys in shorter bursts. 

Wrestlefetish is another I like. It used to be the Store Horsemen podcast where 4 or 5 standup comedians would talk about wrestling from the Comedy Store, but that podcast also had Tony Hinchcliff on every episode and I fucking hate Tony. The podcast changed its setup, renamed itself, Tony isn't part of it anymore, and each episode is around an hour. The only problem is that they don't follow a regular schedule. Their last podcast was around 2 weeks ago I think.

Marty and Sarah Love Wrestling is worth a try.

That's Kinda Fun is also good, but it's once a month. Ben Kissel from Last Podcast on the Left and Katy Dierks do a wrap up of wrestling from the month that was. The only problem is that you have to listen to it on Spotify and Spotify is still fucking awful for podcasts.

4 hours ago, Technico Support said:

What I'm really just not into: Anything longer than maybe an hour and 45.  Even that's pushing it.  Like I heard Between the Sheets is decent but, holy shit, some episodes are like SIX HOURS long. 

Yeah - BTS can be really good but the episodes are outrageously long but that is what happens with a Bix/Kris production. I honestly think the average episode is 4 hours)

You might wanna check out Oral Sessions (Renee's podcast) - I would say 80% of the time it is wrestling guests and she is one of the few people who seems to still be able to get people from all over (most recent episode is with Deonna Purrazzo)

Note there is a period when she was on maternity leave that there were guests hosts (Moxley, Lita, Chelsea Green, Sami Zayn, etc...)

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Phil Schneider said:

New Way of the Blade with Steve Keirn of the Fabulous Ones! Discussing their match against the Moondogs from 6/13/83. Tons of wild stories in this pod, apartment blading with Stan Hansen, shooting on the Road Warriors, almost dying in the ring in Memphis.

HOLY SHIT!

• Like 4

Steve Keirn's blade storage method is freaking insane, and that's not even the wildest part of that episode.

As for BTS, I can't tell you the last time I got through an entire episode in one sitting (probably a week when the episode came out late).. usually it's like: "Okay, i'll start listening  shortly after it comes out, get to a stopping point, go to sleep, and get back to the rest of it in the afternoon"

The only time I ever come close to listening to BTS in one sitting is if I’m at work when it drops around midnight and I can power through it before I leave at 0600. That also dep on the guest. If it’s Beau,I will try to listen as quickly as I can. If it’s one of the “funny guests,” I can usually wait until I get time. 

I don't subscribe to it but I'll check once a month (sometimes longer) and pick past episodes from interesting guests.  AEW's Unrestricted pod is not as much cheerleading for the company as one would think.  Especially with the right guest it's a fun time.  Aside from what's been covered already those are two I check out.

• Thanks 1

I have never listened to BTS in full. It feels like the most impossible thing ever to listen to. I think I'm still subscribed to it, but I never listen to it.

AEW Unrestricted is almost always a good listen.

I will shoutout Way of the Blade as good listen. The TK episode was my introduction to it and I went back and listened to some others and liked it quite a bit. It almost makes me wish it could be done in video form with video clips, but there are obvious restrictions to that.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2021 at 10:29 PM, Infinit said:

The Crime In Sports podcast has an episode this week titled "Huge Ego, Small Calves: The Stuffness of Marcus "Buff" Bagwell. That should be an interesting listen lol

CIS is awesome. They've done some great episodes on wrestlers. Another really good one is the episode on Lenny Montana(aka Luca Brasi). "Vince McMahon" has also been known to show up on episodes that aren't about wrestlers("You big beautiful vascular bastard. Take off the shirt and put on the overalls!"  I also highly recommend Small Town Murder.

Speaking of the Studcast, have they done any new episodes since they parted with Arcadian?  Ron Fuller's Tell Me More does seem fairly new though.

Edited by driver
  • Like 1