DVDVR Message Board

2021 Discussion about Wrestling Podcasts

RIPPA

On 5/15/2021 at 2:21 PM, Iron Moose said:

The first episode of Off Her Chops, a podcast from Cassie Lee (FKA Peyton Royce) and Jessie McKay (FKA Billie Kay) will be available on Friday May 21

very introductory and "First Episode" ish, and certainly no SCOOPS yet but if you enjoy their sense of humor (and obviously I totally do) it's a hoot to listen to them crack each other up for 40 minutes and to see where they eventually go with this

Considering how quite a bit of Eastbound and Down had a strong Pro-Wrestling influence, and considering Jarrett has told the "Summer of No Worries" story a few times, there's every chance that that's where Danny McBride got the idea.

• Like 1

Two of the better wrestling podcasts out, Days of Thunder and Strong Style History have came together to bring us a podcast covering Collision in Korea!!! Very timely as we are 5 days from the airing of the Dark Side of the Ring episode. They talk about the episode but also go in deep on the actual wrestling events that took place in North Korea.

Also I just signed up for Between the Sheets Patreon to hear their History of ECW on TNN SeriesI'm on part 3 of 6 and holy fuck is it really really good. They have alot of cool shit on their Patreon, I'm excited to listen to The George Scott Booking WCW, Kip Frye's WCW, Flair being Fired and Flair Returning Podcasts on their. Well worth the 5 Dollars a month.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Web Conn said:

Two of the better wrestling podcasts out, Days of Thunder and Strong Style History have came together to bring us a podcast covering Collision in Korea!!! Very timely as we are 5 days from the airing of the Dark Side of the Ring episode. They talk about the episode but also go in deep on the actual wrestling events that took place in North Korea.

Also I just signed up for Between the Sheets Patreon to hear their History of ECW on TNN SeriesI'm on part 3 of 6 and holy fuck is it really really good. They have alot of cool shit on their Patreon, I'm excited to listen to The George Scott Booking WCW, Kip Frye's WCW, Flair being Fired and Flair Returning Podcasts on their. Well worth the 5 Dollars a month.

Thanks for the reccomendations. I will give these a listen during work tomorrow on my Spotify.

On 5/16/2021 at 6:49 PM, AxB said:

Guess who Sonny Kiss' favourite band of all time is?

Because you're probably wrong, unless you guessed

Reveal hidden contents

Limp Bizkit

i just ..... what? how does somebody pick THAT band?

Forgive me for not waiting for the Youtube version but Natalya and Tamina are on Renee's pod today.  https://www.audacy.com/podcasts/oral-sessions-with-renee-paquette-46458/45-wwe-womens-tag-team-champions-natalya-tamina-400057377

I would definitely check it out as while I'm not the biggest fan of them wrestling they did get me a bit misty-eyed with them talking about the title win.  They really seem like wonderful people.

Edited by NikoBaltimore

Episodes 2 and 3 of Way of the Blade are in the world

Episode 2 discusses Ikeda vs. Ishikawa from FU-TEN with Daniel Makabe

https://redcircle.com/shows/be34c05b-8483-4797-af55-5ec4bd254611/episodes/e6893340-ca4b-4ee9-9f3b-9947e5512823

Episode 3 talks Devil's Rejects vs. Team Anarchy War Games from NWA Anarchy with Rev. Dan Wilson

https://redcircle.com/shows/be34c05b-8483-4797-af55-5ec4bd254611/episodes/f9f0410d-08a8-4d7d-aefb-3e6ead852895

• Like 4

13 hours ago, odessasteps said:

They might have set on thus weeks New Day pod for number of former WWE talents mentioned, including Cody, Miro and Renee. 

Them stressing about Cena disappointment in thier poor performance in raids is hilarious 

11 hours ago, Rev Ray said:

Them stressing about Cena disappointment in thier poor performance in raids is hilarious 

What's funny is that I remember at the time they posted the videos they mentioned (the Nicky Clan ones) and in them they hint at leaving their old clan but don't go into details.

So learning if was fucking Cena's clan was amazing

Yeah, just a heads up when listening to that episode.  If you have a wife/girlfriend/special friend there's a chance with that beginning that she may take quite an interest in this.  I mean it's a great listen as he's having fun answering questions but I had to give up plans to listen to this without her.

But for real if Jon was interested in doing a podcast where he shoots the shit with friends (maybe co-hosting with Kingston?) then I would be an incredibly happy person.

• Like 1

That is so incredibly awesome and I'm listening to it now.  I think as much as he needs to discuss business/shows my favorite TK is by far when he talks old school wrestling and/or the board.  I know some find faults in him which is understandable.  But in some ways he gives off this "one of us" vibe and I can't help but be tickled pink by that.

• Like 3

Yeah, I'm looking forward to listening to this one tonight.  I mostly ignore wrestling media so I've never hard TK talk for any length of time.

I've been really digging the pods so far and my only request would be to have Zellner on as a guest so I can once again enjoy the contrast between your New York growl and his Georgia drawl.

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

Yeah, I'm looking forward to listening to this one tonight.  I mostly ignore wrestling media so I've never hard TK talk for any length of time.

I've been really digging the pods so far and my only request would be to have Zellner on as a guest so I can once again enjoy the contrast between your New York growl and his Georgia drawl.

New York? I was born and raised in Oakland and Berkeley California ?

I will definitely have Kris on at some point, I am thinking the Last Battle of Atlanta 

• Like 1

Fun fact: the next-to-last match reviewed on DVDVR issue #100 (the greatest matches issue) is Flair/Dibiase and this is the review from Pete

TED DIBIASE vs. RIC FLAIR - MID-SOUTH 1985:
(POGO PETE)
This is the match where babyface Dick Murdoch jumps top heel Dibiase and posts him because he's jealous at the fact that Dibiase got the NWA title shot against Flair, and Dibiase bleeds to the point where we'd be talking about the Dibiase scale instead of the Muta scale if more folks hadn't seen that Muta/Hase match.  Bill Watts then gives an all-time speech on how Dibiase's a MAN AMONG MEN for still taking this match, comparing it to the Roberto Duran "no mas" incident, while at the same time warning people with weak stomachs that this sucker's gonna get real bloody if Ted's bandage comes off.  And hey!  There goes the bandage!  Murdoch comes out at the end of the match and cements the double-turn by giving Ted a brainbuster on the CONCRETE floor back when finishers really were finishers, so Ted is out of action for several weeks (read: "Hey Ted, Uncle Shohei on line 2!").  As ugly a human being as Watts may be in real life, you have to give the Devil his due for perfect booking like this.  See this one if you've seen Bret-Austin from WM13 and check out the theft ^H^H^H^H^H^H^similarities.

As far as the podcast goes it was a blast, especially surprised by the reveal towards the end (not giving it away, you listen instead!). My favorite part was Tony giving his opinion on finishes and it's EXACTLY what I thought it would be. He's giving himself some leeway by saying he does 90% clean IMO; you'd have to name the DQ/countouts specifically. (Of course this has been a talking point for me for ages on here so I'll finally let it go now haha)