DVDVR Message Board

2021 Discussion about Wrestling Podcasts

RIPPA

4 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Yeah, Conman Thompson is hard pass for me. 

I didn't realize that Hero's shows are all up for free right now.  I misunderstood and thought only the first would be.  I've listened to the 3rd and 4th episodes and they're really good.  Conrad could definitely follow up more, that's for sure.  I also just don't like his delivery.  Hero is great in these, though.  He's very thoughtful and honest (at least, it seems he is) with his answers. 

• 2 weeks later...

BTW - Miz was on Renee's podcast so again it will be very interesting to see how long it is before someone gets pissy and stops allowing WWE folks on her show

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

BTW - Miz was on Renee's podcast so again it will be very interesting to see how long it is before someone gets pissy and stops allowing WWE folks on her show

I saw that Shayna was on there as well.  But I think with Renee still doing the occasional Backstage show she's still considered on good terms with them.  So while it's still possible/likely that'll happen if anything that will at least delay it for some time.

3 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Has she appeared on their TV yet? 

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Has she appeared on their TV yet? 

They had an episode of Backstage before the Rumble that she was on.  But that's more of a "her working for Fox" situation than anything else.

On 2/2/2021 at 12:53 PM, Craig H said:

I'm listening to the WOR covering Raw and I'm up to the point where Dave reviews BTE. It hasn't occurred to me before, but this segment is like death for Alvarez every Monday. In the past Bryan has said he doesn't watch much of BTE and he doesn't seem like he cares for it, but he is always just beyond bored by Dave reviewing every little thing from BTE. There's never any noise or peep made by Bryan during these segments and I just imagine that he just gets up and takes a leak or gets something to drink or plays a game on his phone or whatever. I don't know why it's amusing to me, but it is. 

It's just every week when Dave reviews BTE it feels so awkward. It would be like if I tried describing BTE to my wife. She wouldn't give a fuck.

I've become very bored with the BTE run-downs by Dave. His "on the spectrum" humor misses a lot, and like you said, Bryan just tunes out. He doesn't care about BTE, or at least Meltzers break down of it. Makes for a complete interruption of the show, and Bryan would clearly not care if it was missed.

I haven't listened to WOR since Rocks show started... is Dave covering that as well? Because that's going to get annoying if he "well actually's" everything.

29 minutes ago, Valcourt said:

I've become very bored with the BTE run-downs by Dave. His "on the spectrum" humor misses a lot, and like you said, Bryan just tunes out. He doesn't care about BTE, or at least Meltzers break down of it. Makes for a complete interruption of the show, and Bryan would clearly not care if it was missed.

I haven't listened to WOR since Rocks show started... is Dave covering that as well? Because that's going to get annoying if he "well actually's" everything.

Oh, dude, is he ever covering Young Rock. Again, if all I had to go off of was Dave's description of Young Rock, I would never watch it. Let me put it like this, Have you ever talked to someone or been the person trying to describe to someone else why something was funny, get crickets in response, and say, "well, I guess you had to be there?" That's EXACTLY how it sounds when Dave is trying to cover the funny parts of the episode. It's just...weird.

I love it when Dave breaks down the various wrestling shows, but I hate how he starts every episode with some inane shit from history when it's clear Bryan just wants to review the tv shows. The only time Dave's openings are tolerable are when he's discussing current shit with guys like Konnan or Jim Valley or whatever. And then his coverage for BTE and Young Rock are bad. Thank goodness he hasn't started reviewing Sammy's vlog.

• Like 1

Re: Bryan's silence

I brought that up here like well before Dave start reviewing BTE, Young Rock, etc.

I'm thinking Bryan is researching stuff and/or keeping time because he always lets Dave know they can't go beyond 90 minutes. If he isn't give him time cues, he doesn't really say much unless he himself is going on a tirade. 

I did laugh the other night when Dave asked him if he remembers the old football helmets and Bryan is like, "I remember the old pigskin helmets." Obviously, the person you ask a football question to is Bryan Alvarez. Second, you do it when you go on a long tangent about Don Manoukian somewhere within that. Third, you can't just go straight through with your story and give your point. I mean he even said himself the modern helmets would be still around regardless, but he still has to give you the story AND break off into another story from that.

10 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Remember - and I will always bring this up - Alvarez didn't know who Jesse Owens was

Longtime f4w members will remember the Vinny V Sports Quizzes and Bryan's performance in them.

• Like 1

To tie the two points together

The BTE and Young Rock things are like the perfect storm for Dave's OCD (or whatever it actually is) where he knows a lot about the person/topic and has to get it out.

It's like we used to joke anytime something would come with the Von Erichs, it would be "Oh here comes the History of World Class again"

Now how I said I would tie into the sports thing is still one of the most random but best things I read in the WON over the years was when Dave dropped a giant obit about soccer legend George Best (since Dave covered soccer, specifically NASL and the San Jose Earthquakes)

• Like 1

Also keeping with the theme is another new Dave obsession is recapping what Arn Anderson says on his podcast every week

For example this past issue where he recaps Arn shitting over the original Sin Cara (aka Mistico)

Spoiler

Arn Anderson, now with AEW, on his podcast (Fighter Fans transcript) talked about how the original Sin Cara, the first Mistico and now Caristico flopped in WWE. “Rey Mysterio was that guy. And you don’t replace Rey. There’s nobody coming along. I’ve seen it to this day, there’s nobody that’s going to eclipse Rey Mysterio and all that he’s accomplished. But, those sitting in the genius office, the brain trust? I’m sure the conversation went like this: `Okay Rey’s been hurt a couple times, he’s too little anyway. We got to get another Mexican star in here, what do you got?” Well, this guy didn’t show me anything, not a damn thing, he had a bad attitude. If he spoke English? He acted like he didn’t. Now we’re not talking about Hunico, we’re talking about the original Sin Cara. He was one of those guys that flat brought the Mexican style. That’s what he brought to our product, our product was not ready for that lack of contact, lack of selling all those things, just the whirlybird stuff that had no psychology behind it.” I could and did write extensively before he started on all the reasons he wouldn’t make it and it went almost exactly like that. For those who don’t know the back story, Mistico was pretty much the biggest drawing card (with the exception of possibly John Cena) in the world. He got over instantly in Japan as well. He was not great like someone like Dragon Lee, and he was just a guy with a cool gimmick and storyline that CMLL pushed to the moon because they were finally talked into the idea they needed to create a new star. He was a good flyer, but was green, but they had great workers around at the time like Ultimo Guerrero, who could base him and make him look great, and he had his flashy moves. WWE sees this legitimate super draw who is Mexican, and they know they need a Mexican superstar, so he’s the guy and they recruit him hard, do a big press conference and make a big deal of his signing. When he debuted, he worked with Chavo Guerrero Jr., who while from a legendary Mexican wrestling family, is not a Lucha Libre guy. Still, they tore the house down at house shows because he was doing all this stuff nobody else was doing. So then they tried to teach him to work because he wasn’t doing the WWE style. I knew it was doomed. His stuff that got the biggest reaction the agents thought made no sense, plus he came in with the attitude he was a superstar, but since he wasn’t a superstar in the U.S., only a megastar in Mexico and a real star in Japan, that rubbed everyone the wrong way. And he couldn’t speak English, and evidently didn’t work hard at learning English. And then he wasn’t pushed to the top after being the guy in his last promotion. He also did great merch numbers early. But in working American style, or trying to, he wasn’t good at all and the other guys didn’t like him due to his attitude. And once he stopped doing what got him over, he was a little guy who wasn’t particularly good at his style. Then, I think he broke a finger or his hand in a match and went to the back and you don’t do that in WWE because they think you’re a pussy. So he lost all respect from the guys. If it was somewhere where you let the guy do what he did to get over, like New Japan, with the hardest hitting in-ring in the world did, he still got over based on being unique and the cool looking costume and the fans knew they were seeing an authentic superstar. But his run was a disaster for the most part, and they eventually gave Jorge Arias the gimmick and fired him. But even when not being pushed, his merch sold well and he ended up being the second or third most played character in the WWE video game which totally shocked everyone in management that this guy who isn’t pushed gets played more in the game than everyone they pushed. And when he went back to Mexico, because he couldn’t use the Mistico name (they gave it to the current one), he was never close to the star he was, although he is a name star. But it was one of those deals where the WWE run I can’t say ruined him in Mexico, but because so many saw him as a guy who didn’t get over in the U.S., while he was a star and pushed, that megastar deal there was gone and will never be back

Since I watch Arn Show clips, that particularly one came up on my YT front page feed just because (even I though I don't think I'm subscribed to that channel).

Yeah, I kinda knew Arn was gone tear him to shreds even without reading the title.

To me, if you have agents like Arn and many working there with the same mindset and a guy like Mistico with all that buzz and a company that was red hot when he was on top, the only place you can go is down. 

I dunno what it is the post-territory wrestling world (jealousy? insecurity?) where if you get effusive praise* and you don't work for either the biggest company or one of the big two when WCW was around, that you likely don't deserve that praise, you have to get torn down, and you're a complete and utter failure if you can't replicate it when you finally do make it to "big" show?

*This may be a rhetorical question on my part. I know Meltzer is responsible for a lot of that dynamic inadvertently. When WWF was down and WCW was barely holding on in the early to mid 90s, his love of lucha (specifically AAA), Japan, Joshi, and UWFi was extremely prevalent and many of the boys backstage were reading the Observer. So when many of those companies went down (the peso crisis happened in Mexico, UWFi went out of business, Zenjo peaked and never returned to form it had during the interpromotional era), it appeared that he never returned that same love (I would argue his love for Flair, Michaels, and some others even before the MNW was always apparent and as gushing as his other praise). He was mainly critiquing the politics going on when U.S. wrestling scene took off again. It's weird that bitterness is still around, and that's not just toward Meltzer. I can see Dave getting some of that blame because he laid it on thick and was definitely a little resentful and snobby towards to the American scene then. However, pro wrestling is an extremely star driven profession. Blaming the talent is basically cutting off your nose to spite your face, right? Why take that out on the talent? You could be looking one of the guys to help break the business wide open and start a new boom period, and you're worrying about some bias you didn't like from 25+ years ago? If you're still stuck on that, you have nobody to blame but yourself if your business is stagnant.

Or Dave always mentioning the Von Erichs in a ufc recap when someone used Stranglehold as their entrance musjc.

Someone used Stranglehold really recently and no mention. He let me down.

Just now, odessasteps said:

Is it because he doesn't write the ufc in the newsletter? (I think, I don't read the mma parts.) 

When something peculiar (read: something wrestling related) strikes his interest regarding UFC or MMA in general, he states it so on WOR. That said, he probably hit fast forward and likely missed it since you can do that on ESPN+.

Yeah - I don't know who the guy is but he has had someone doing the UFC recaps for probably the last year

But like Elsa said - Dave will still cover the stories

Inmeant the ppv recapss, but forgot to mention it.

i donwonderbwhich pods dave either listens to air gets summaries of by someone. 

He should listen to the Stud cast, if only to flesh out his obits. Its amazing how incomplete his bob armstrong obit was, i nean it felt like it was mostly about Georgia.