DVDVR Message Board

2021 Discussion about Wrestling Podcasts

RIPPA

On 1/30/2021 at 8:30 AM, RIPPA said:
  • The Regulators (Though Big E was only down if they could get Warren G

On 1/28/2021 at 12:27 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Actually I would be cool with The Regulators if they could have a Warren G ripoff song for theme music.

Great minds think alike! 

And of course now I have to post this again

On 1/30/2021 at 9:30 AM, RIPPA said:

- The Tribe they felt was racist and in discussing that Kofi says the phrase "African American Males" which Woods then wants as the name including singing it to the American Males theme song

Reminds me of the time Ricochet and Rich Swann took on ACH and AR Fox in PWG and both teams had dueling African American-themed parody names announced for them, including:

The African American Wolves

The Inner City Machine Guns

The Martin Luther Kings of Wrestling

On 1/30/2021 at 3:19 PM, odessasteps said:

The bathroom episide this week was also pretty funny, even if the wackiest stories were about Dan Rykert’s dad. 

I couldn't stand Dan on the Giant Bombcast or the Beastcast, but his dad and stories about his dad were always a treasure.

I'm listening to the WOR covering Raw and I'm up to the point where Dave reviews BTE. It hasn't occurred to me before, but this segment is like death for Alvarez every Monday. In the past Bryan has said he doesn't watch much of BTE and he doesn't seem like he cares for it, but he is always just beyond bored by Dave reviewing every little thing from BTE. There's never any noise or peep made by Bryan during these segments and I just imagine that he just gets up and takes a leak or gets something to drink or plays a game on his phone or whatever. I don't know why it's amusing to me, but it is. 

It's just every week when Dave reviews BTE it feels so awkward. It would be like if I tried describing BTE to my wife. She wouldn't give a fuck.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Reminds me of the time Ricochet and Rich Swann took on ACH and AR Fox in PWG and both teams had dueling African American-themed parody names announced for them, including:

MLK's of Wrestling is absolute gold, at least!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I'm listening to the WOR covering Raw and I'm up to the point where Dave reviews BTE. It hasn't occurred to me before, but this segment is like death for Alvarez every Monday. In the past Bryan has said he doesn't watch much of BTE and he doesn't seem like he cares for it, but he is always just beyond bored by Dave reviewing every little thing from BTE. There's never any noise or peep made by Bryan during these segments and I just imagine that he just gets up and takes a leak or gets something to drink or plays a game on his phone or whatever. I don't know why it's amusing to me, but it is. 

It's just every week when Dave reviews BTE it feels so awkward. It would be like if I tried describing BTE to my wife. She wouldn't give a fuck.

On the Dave vs Bryan front, what really hit me a few weeks ago was what sometimes comes off as their completely opposite views of wrestling in general.  I can't remember who or what they were discussing, but Dave comes off like a guy who really likes wrestlers who can put on a great match, while Bryan has more of a typical "guy who actually wrestled" approach, where it seems he values workers who get the most out of doing the least, take the fewest bums, etc.  You hear it when Bryan sometimes talks about guys he'd love to wrestle vs guys he'd never want to wrestle.  The former are always workers with whom he's essentially have "a night off."

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Technico Support said:

If Xavier wants to kill two gimmick-birds with one stone we might end up with a tag team called Doom: Eternal.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Infinit said:

Bischoff eating crow about saying that Bill Watts ok'd Harlem Heat's original "convict" gimmick on the recent Harlem Heat episode was very satisfying. 

My opinion of Bischoff could really not be any lower, but to clarify, has he maintained that Watts approved that initial HH gimmick and now he admits that it was just himself? I feel dirty for even asking, so I probably cannot get myself to listen...

thanks, RAF

51 minutes ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

My opinion of Bischoff could really not be any lower, but to clarify, has he maintained that Watts approved that initial HH gimmick and now he admits that it was just himself? I feel dirty for even asking, so I probably cannot get myself to listen...

thanks, RAF

He originally said it was a Watts idea, or an idea conceived during the Watts regime. Conrad then pointed out that Watts was fired I'm February and the original Harlem Heat gimmick debuted in June. Then the backtracking began lol

• Like 1

I wouldn't say Bischoff backtracked. He actually apologized for putting that on Watts and it was a running gag throughout the show that Bischoff fucked up the timeline. He took responsibility for misremembering what happened. IIRC, he said something like even though he wasn't doing creative at the time, he was in charge of the tv so he should've nixed it before it even got on tv.

Edited by cwoy2j
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, matt925 said:

Wasn’t it like a show poster where they were behind bars in prison gear?

They had matches during tapings that didn't make tv. According to the podcast it was at Center Stage but I could've sworn that I had read before that it was at a Worldwide taping.

I don't think it got brought up here but Chris Hero started doing a podcast - it is called "Can Chris Hero Save Wrestling?"

Now know - since I know this might be a breaking point for some - that it is on Conrad's network (AdFreeShows) so if you want to listen to anything other than the website - you have to sign up (since it is done through Patreon)

Anyway - I bring it up because they are hyping the newest episode of Hero talking about his first NXT release and then the indy run in between

If your only option is to pay for a podcast then you're doing it wrong.  I don't mind the free options since I can skip the ads anyway so if this is how he's doing it then Conrad can piss off with this idea.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Is Conrad hosting it too? If do, I'll take a pas. 

While I haven't listen yet - it appears that he is as I already saw some feedback on the episodes that Conrad doesn't ask enough follow up questions

I was a guest host on The Rock & Wrestling Connection podcast with my chums Jason and Jason, two knowledgeable blokes and between us we managed to have three differing opinions about everything. If you tune in only to here me drop the truths about why Capt. Lou wears rubber bands in his face (sourced painstakingly from the legend himself) then you will be that much closer to achieving satori. I is either on episode #5 or #6, I dunno. Link below, but it appears to be on a few platforms. It was fun, I like to tell stories, and I hope to be invited back even though I can't stand Rush (the Canuck band not Lio).

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/rock-wrestling-connection/id1525264024

- famous in his own mind,

RAF

• Like 1

On 2/12/2021 at 5:44 PM, RIPPA said:

While I haven't listen yet - it appears that he is as I already saw some feedback on the episodes that Conrad doesn't ask enough follow up questions

I listened to the first episode that they had up for free.  It was pretty good, but not good enough that I feel compelled to pay for future episodes.

I didn't feel like there was a lack of follow-ups.  They sort of spent most of the episode just establishing a timeline of Chris' career, sort of a broad overview.  

I do think it could get really good if they have Hero breaking down what works/doesn't work in a match, things like that.  He's obviously a knowledgeable guy, and he's been everywhere, so I'm sure he's got some great stories.  Like I said, I just didn't get enough from that first episode to make me want to pay for more.