DVDVR Message Board

2021 Discussion about Wrestling Podcasts

RIPPA

10 minutes ago, Morganti said:

and for the perfect example of that, go back and listen to the NewDay pod where they talk about the list of names they were given.

Searched and found it.  Jesus.  I also recall "Fresh Coat of Paint" was another one and I don't know why that feels vaguely racist to me.

• The Beat
  • The Tribe
  • Perfect Harmony
  • Healing Through Harmony
  • The Wonders
  • The Miracles
  • The Sensations
  • The Modern Marvels
  • Vibe-n-Vision
  • Harmony’s Three
  • Trillogy
  • Tri-verse
  • KBX
  • The House of Light
  • The Triumph
  • The Beacon
  • New City
  • The Cause
  • The Voice
  • The Regulators
  • The House of Positive Energy (aka H.O.P.E.)
  • House of Purpose
  • The Calling
  • Voices of Triumph
  • The Prime
  • The Charge
  • The Reach
  • The Concept
  • The Achievers
  • The Sentinels
  • Genesis
  • Born Again
  • Revelation
  • Mason of Salvation
  • The Congregation
  • The Advent
  • Trinity
  • Crusaders
  • Exodus
  • Redeem
  • Risen
  • Almighty
  • Modern Day Saints
  • The Sainthood
  • The A-Men
  • Brothers of Xavier
  • X-Communication
  • Saving Our Souls (aka S.O.S.)
  • Million Man Ministry
  • Resurrection/Resu-wrecktion/ResurXtion
  • Penance
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looks like most of those could easily be Christian rock bandnames. The Modern Marvels isn't too bad except it's stolen from a TV show. Million Man Ministry is the one that gives me the race-card vibe hardest. Actually I would be cool with The Regulators if they could have a Warren G ripoff song for theme music. 

EDIT: Though some of them come close, I guess there isn't one that is a full-on "Chilly McFreeze". Except "the A-Men". Fuckin' hell...

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

BTW - if you haven't listened to the exact New Day episode with the names you should go do so. Since they do go in depth into some of the choices. (I think the list is a combination of what they pitched and was rejected and then what was pitched to them. Stupid faulty memory.)

And related to that - recently Big E does these rants at the start of episodes about how he had the name "Langston" taken from him and he really needs to use that in a promo if/when he goes heel

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

BTW - if you haven't listened to the exact New Day episode with the names you should go do so. Since they do go in depth into some of the choices. (I think the list is a combination of what they pitched and was rejected and then what was pitched to them. Stupid faulty memory.)

And related to that - recently Big E does these rants at the start of episodes about how he had the name "Langston" taken from him and he really needs to use that in a promo if/when he goes heel

Or when he leaves the company and his name becomes Langston Huge. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Morganti said:

Yes. Jester Harriston. 

That's awesome. He was hilarious on that show. I went on a random wiki/google rabbit hole with that show a few weeks ago b/c I saw it in syndication. You ever have that happen where you see a show from your childhood and then you spend like an hour just finding random facts about it? Anyway, every article I read about the show had one of the co-stars talking about how much they loved him and what a good person he was.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

I can second this. There were some great insights into how the whole New Day concept came about and evolved. IIRC, Woods was actually pretty close to just calling it quits and going back to the "real world". He'd pitched a bunch of stuff that got shot down or never came to fruition before those guys got put together.

On 1/28/2021 at 8:23 PM, Eivion said:

Holy shit is that a ton of names. Some of them aren't even bad, but they would not have fit New Day. They were really leaning into that religious theme.

A-Men to that!

Edited by Shartnado
Capital M, apparently

I decided to relisten to "The List" episode of the New Day podcast (especially since it is shorter than current episodes since it is only 30 minutes).

A couple of quick notes for those who never heard it

- Names were grouped in "themes" - Trilogy based, Inspirational based

- The Tribe they felt was racist and in discussing that Kofi says the phrase "African American Males" which Woods then wants as the name including singing it to the American Males theme song

- Million Man Ministry was the other one that Woods thought it was racist. However, Big E liked it and started to sell it saying it was another name he was gonna use after turning on them. He would use it in a group with Cedric Alexander, The Street Profits and Tyler Breeze ("He would be our token!"). Which then prompted Woods to explain that he liked it when it was coming from E but just written on a piece of paper he didn't - using it as an example of being asked/told to do something "racially charged" vs. deciding to do something "racially charged" (there is obviously a lot more context in the discussion of the name)

- Another spontaneous name was "The Bump and Feed Boys" where they joked were they would come out and just take flat back bumps like it was FCW practice

- Big E hated - I mean HATED - KBX. He goes on a rant about it which ties into how stupid the name PCB was.

- Names they did like

• The Cause (Big E really liked this one. This was the first one where he said he would use this name when he turned)
  • The Regulators (Though Big E was only down if they could get Warren G)
  • The Sentinels
  • Penance (Big E was the one who liked this most)

- The names that the group suggested: By Any Means Necessary, New Way and New Day

- By Any Means Necessary came from Woods being WAY into Malcolm X at the time so much so he admitted he was having a problem "I was becoming militant!"

Also from this episode is where we learn that Titus O'Neil was originally supposed to be in the group and the birth of the Big E Baby Preacher Voice which is legit one of the funniest things I have ever heard

• Like 4

9 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Can anybody recommend a quality pod that does good reviews of AEW Dynamite and possibly NJPW?    

Not current, but the Wrestling Life Support Podcast (wrestlinglifesupport.podbean.com) reviewed Dynamite from June-Sept 2020 and was pretty fun. Hope they start up again.